Traditions

Used this word so often recently, was thinking it's about time we defined what's needed tradition wise and what's not.

Already know some feel that retro clothing for instance isn't required, but how many people really think like that? Do we need to maintain etiquette, as in politeness, giving space on the dance floor to the dancers etc etc. Do we need to stay with the vinyl format. Are all-nighters still required on a weekly basis, even though they're all over the country. Should the big name DJs step aside? I know we've discussed many of these issues individually before, but putting them together, it would appear the Northern Soul scene is bound by many rules and taboos, so what should go and what should stay. If answering, could you give a view on all aspects please, might give an insight into what way the scene should go, and feel free to add any traditions I've missed out.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Traditions will be the down fall of the scene, look at what fox hunters are facing! public stonings, mass protests and a whole other load of politics, why all because they like to go out every week doing what has been done for years dressed the same way for years whistling.gif

With fresh ideas and passionate people to guide the scene along is what will keep it going not traditions :lol:

Social source share

Traditions will be the down fall of the scene, look at what fox hunters are facing! public stonings, mass protests and a whole other load of politics, why all because they like to go out every week doing what has been done for years dressed the same way for years whistling.gif

With fresh ideas and passionate people to guide the scene along is what will keep it going not traditions :lol:

==============

So you'd keep none of them then? One tradition missed out, venues themselves, should they still be the tried and trusted big halls, wooden dance floors etc?

Social source share

With fresh ideas and passionate people to guide the scene along is what will keep it going not traditions thumbsup.gif

there are still plenty of passionate people out there baz but what fresh ideas are there?

weve had one room,two room and 3 room events

alniters..aldayers..weekenders..soulnites

all girl nights..all boy nights...double decking nights

what else could we do that hasnt been tried? :lol:

moldie

Social source share

==============

So you'd keep none of them then? One tradition missed out, venues themselves, should they still be the tried and trusted big halls, wooden dance floors etc?

Was just being mischievious Win biggrin.gif but the big hall thing dont really do much for me, i prefer the more smaller nighter venues 100, sheridans, wilton type things, as long as there is dance music of what ever genre there will be wooden floors.

In most of the current venues what traditions are actually still there????? the playing of vinyl searching out the next elusive track, dancing all night and getting sh*t faced, as long as they are kept all the others (traditions) can get dead and burried as far as im concerned

Social source share

Used this word so often recently, was thinking it's about time we defined what's needed tradition wise and what's not.

Already know some feel that retro clothing for instance isn't required, but how many people really think like that? Do we need to maintain etiquette, as in politeness, giving space on the dance floor to the dancers etc etc. Do we need to stay with the vinyl format. Are all-nighters still required on a weekly basis, even though they're all over the country. Should the big name DJs step aside? I know we've discussed many of these issues individually before, but putting them together, it would appear the Northern Soul scene is bound by many rules and taboos, so what should go and what should stay. If answering, could you give a view on all aspects please, might give an insight into what way the scene should go, and feel free to add any traditions I've missed out.

Winnie:-)

We've discussed ( laugh.gif ) this before Win, but at the Tower Saturday, many of the dancers were much younger than average,took beer on the dancefloor, didn't have talc, didn't wear bags and vests and generally danced very differently . They were virtually ALL Europeans, and enjoyed themselves totally.

After 30 odd years (with a break :) ), I wasn't offended, and thought the atmosphere was great. Across the board music, including classic oldies. Thats only my opinion of course and I may well be in the minority, but it did it for me on the night, as it did at the 100 Club.

Tradition is all well and good, but at the expense of furthering the scene ?

I don't know. blush.gif

PS regards the Tower, all the dj's were excellent imo. Ady Lupton though stood out (Benny Harper thumbsup.gif ) as did young James Trouble. But leave the Salvadors at home James, we know you've got it :D:lol: )

Social source share

Was just being mischievious Win :lol: but the big hall thing dont really do much for me, i prefer the more smaller nighter venues 100, sheridans, wilton type things, as long as there is dance music of what ever genre there will be wooden floors.

In most of the current venues what traditions are actually still there????? the playing of vinyl searching out the next elusive track, dancing all night and getting sh*t faced, as long as they are kept all the others (traditions) can get dead and burried as far as im concerned

=============

I expect vinyl to be the biggest one that people want to keep, getting drunk wasn't an original tradition, unless you're talking about something else smile.gif Searching for elusive tracks will always be about I think, very much human nature cos we're an inquisitive breed, but we also don't like change, which could be a downside?

Social source share

We've discussed ( :D ) this before Win, but at the Tower Saturday, many of the dancers were much younger than average,took beer on the dancefloor, didn't have talc, didn't wear bags and vests and generally danced very differently . They were virtually ALL Europeans, and enjoyed themselves totally.

After 30 odd years (with a break :( ), I wasn't offended, and thought the atmosphere was great. Across the board music, including classic oldies. Thats only my opinion of course and I may well be in the minority, but it did it for me on the night, as it did at the 100 Club.

I don't know. blush.gif

PS regards the Tower, all the dj's were excellent imo. Ady Lupton though stood out (Benny Harper thumbsup.gif ) as did young James Trouble. But leave the Salvadors at home James, we know you've got it :):lol: )

============

I know it's been discussed before Steve, but normally traditions on an individual basis. Tried to put them together to see what's important and whats not. Personally I would prefer beer not to be on the dance floor, as wouldn't see that as furthering the scene. Thats not being anti youth, cos I'm not, just think that's being sensible. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

============

I know it's been discussed before Steve, but normally traditions on an individual basis. Tried to put them together to see what's important and whats not. Personally I would prefer beer not to be on the dance floor, as wouldn't see that as furthering the scene. Thats not being anti youth, cos I'm not, just think that's being sensible. thumbsup.gif

Agre with that sentiment, and they obviously were NOT handbaggers, but there was none off the " I went and told them to f**k off" mentality that has been seen on here.

And I also appreciate that it was ony one night. :lol:

As for other traditions, furthring NEW sounds (increaingly difficult) should be paramount. As for dress, I think bags etc are naff, but if otherpeople want to wear them thats up to them. Doen't fill me with dread, but can understand why younger people who want to get into the scene my find it odd. (Ithought Teddy Boys were odd when I was at junior school)

As regards past venues, I agree with you that there is too much sniping about Wigan, in particular, and other past venues, from people who never went. I never got to the Torch, Wheel or Mojo etc , so I would not dream of passing comment, good or bad on them. I don't think you can. Wigan, like EVERY other major all nighter has played crap. It also played some of the best records ever (Searling 79-81) that get credited elsewhere, including many "modern soul" classics that are still played today.

That seems a modern tradition that should be one of the first to go, imo.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

We've discussed ( laugh.gif ) this before Win, but at the Tower Saturday, many of the dancers were much younger than average,took beer on the dancefloor, didn't have talc, didn't wear bags and vests and generally danced very differently . They were virtually ALL Europeans, and enjoyed themselves totally.

After 30 odd years (with a break :( ), I wasn't offended, and thought the atmosphere was great. Across the board music, including classic oldies. Thats only my opinion of course and I may well be in the minority, but it did it for me on the night, as it did at the 100 Club.

I don't know. blush.gif

PS regards the Tower, all the dj's were excellent imo. Ady Lupton though stood out (Benny Harper thumbsup.gif ) as did young James Trouble. But leave the Salvadors at home James, we know you've got it :D:lol: )

I'm gutted! I was at the Tower and 100 club and you didn't seek me out for a bit of a sparring match in "real time" :)

Social source share

I'm gutted! I was at the Tower and 100 club and you didn't seek me out for a bit of a sparring match in "real time" :lol:

laugh.gif

Karen, this is true, so don't let Shane tell you otherwise, he said you were in and would introduce us, but shaned out so there was no "diplomatic incident " at the Euro nighter. laugh.gif

Hoping to be there in December thumbsup.gif

Social source share

[

. As for dress, I think bags etc are naff, but if otherpeople want to wear them thats up to them. Doen't fill me with dread, but can understand why younger people who want to get into the scene my find it odd. (Ithought Teddy Boys were odd when I was at junior school)

I would like to see the three before eight dispensed with and replaced with some of the great soul smootchies out there that you never hear played, probably cos they are too slow. I'm thinking of "I really Love you-Dee Dee Sharp, I'm hurt-Little Tommy, I'll be gone- Tommy Turner and the like. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

============

https://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/play_uk.php?id=1745815

Social source share

Baggy trousers and patches are very much part of the oldies scene, Wigan, Torch, stompers and all that. Wouldn't expect to see wide tousers at a crossover night or rare soul event. Just goes to show what a divided scene we have nowadays, some may argue its a bad thing some might say it's good thing, each unto their own opinion.

Don't really see to many changes to the format of soul nights, some like all-nighters, some like weekenders , most things have been tried. although fresh venues, new names on the decks, new sounds are the life blood of the scene, if things stand still for too long it gets boring. When someone puts on a new venue, people will go along to check it out, if they like it they'll come back, if they don't they won't, punters vote with their feet.

The scene needs to keep moving forward, by all means lets keep some traditions alive but not at the expense of keeping the scene exciting and new.

Phew ! it's late .........

Social source share

Baggy trousers and patches are very much part of the oldies scene, Wigan, Torch, stompers and all that. Wouldn't expect to see wide tousers at a crossover night or rare soul event. Just goes to show what a divided scene we have nowadays, some may argue its a bad thing some might say it's good thing, each unto their own opinion.

Don't really see to many changes to the format of soul nights, some like all-nighters, some like weekenders , most things have been tried. although fresh venues, new names on the decks, new sounds are the life blood of the scene, if things stand still for too long it gets boring. When someone puts on a new venue, people will go along to check it out, if they like it they'll come back, if they don't they won't, punters vote with their feet.

The scene needs to keep moving forward, by all means lets keep some traditions alive but not at the expense of keeping the scene exciting and new.

Phew ! it's late .........

=============

Think that's the essence thumbsup.gif The reason I tried to highlight some of the traditions and whether they were needed or not......

To move the scene forward we have to be pretty much of one mind IMO, traditions such as vinyl, most will agree on, but clothes, beer on the dance floor, etiquette in general, those always seem to be sticking points. If we as a scene are serious about moving forward, shouldn't we be ironing out differences that at first glance would appear trivial to its development?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!