Through the post today, can anyone help please

Just got this through the post. It's the 7" single of 'Grace Kennedy - Love is a serious business', a female version of the Alfie Davidson classic.
Question is, I have never seen and cannot find anyone else who owns, or has ever seen the 7"single. I know it is an album track and thought it was an
album track only. It is not listed on the 'Rio Records' discography, the  'DJM records' discography, or the 'This record Co Ltd' discography either.
It is apparently a Canada release only.
Has anyone on here ever seen one?
I know that some of you will prefer the Alfie Davidson version obviously, but that's not what I am asking.
Thanks for any help

img006.jpg

Edited by Northern Soul UK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

That 45 is on a real Canadian record company and the design of that 45 label was used right thru 1980 and till September 81. 

From the 435 number, it seems to have been the 1st 45 issued on the label and would date (guessing) from 1980. That's a bit strange as the track didn't escape in the UK (on the LP) till 81. The date shown on the 45's label is 81 but that doesn't tie in with it being the 1st release on the label. What's the A side of the 45 ??

Rio did however release another Grace Kennedy record + stuff by the Gibson Bros & Ronnie Jones, so I'd say it's  most likely kosha. She was signed to DJM in 79 and could well have recorded the cut that early with it remaining in DJM's vault in this country till 81.

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Yeah I'm pretty 100% it's Kosher, as the deadwax is stamped as  opposed to scratched. Someone pointed out that the release number didn't match up to other 'Rio' numbers, but as 'Rio' was also part of 'DJM' records, it ties up nicely. Unless the 'DJR' letters, stand for 'Disc Jockey Rio'? As I say no one has yet come forward to say they have even seen one let alone owned one.
Thank you

Social source share

Found this piece on the label . . . . it dates from summer 1980 when the outfit had just been set up.

The A side of your 45 is "Startin Again" and this also escaped on a Rio 12", though the number of that was DJR-1206 and it has the later label design. The 12" release seems to have only escaped with "Starting Again" on both sides (but I could be wrong on that). The A side track was also released on Profile in the US but with a different B side to Canada.  

The label mainly put out 12" releases in its early months, loads of them, so they were obviously going for the disco DJ market.

Their numbering system seems all over the place as they put out a Rah Band track (also licensed from UK DJM) as DJR-1201 (12") and DJR- 702 (7"). So the  DJR-12xx prefix was obviously for 12" releases and the DJR-7xx for 7" rekkids. There isn't a Grace Kennedy 7" with the number RIO 706 (to go along with her 12" #1206) as RIO 706 features cuts by Cream & Sugar. 

I'd guess that for the label's early releases, their 12" releases were pressed up in bulk and the 7's were a more limited release.

RioRecsCanada80.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Bur very few bootlegs have the deadwax details stamped in.

I ain't referring to any bootleg.  He said the matrix was stamped rather than scratched which to me inferred that being scratched in isn't real, far from it in many cases.

Social source share

On 4/22/2017 at 06:58, Roburt said:

Found this piece on the label . . . . it dates from summer 1980 when the outfit had just been set up.

The A side of your 45 is "Startin Again" and this also escaped on a Rio 12", though the number of that was DJR-1206 and it has the later label design. The 12" release seems to have only escaped with "Starting Again" on both sides (but I could be wrong on that). The A side track was also released on Profile in the US but with a different B side to Canada.  

The label mainly put out 12" releases in its early months, loads of them, so they were obviously going for the disco DJ market.

Their numbering system seems all over the place as they put out a Rah Band track (also licensed from UK DJM) as DJR-1201 (12") and DJR- 702 (7"). So the  DJR-12xx prefix was obviously for 12" releases and the DJR-7xx for 7" rekkids. There isn't a Grace Kennedy 7" with the number RIO 706 (to go along with her 12" #1206) as RIO 706 features cuts by Cream & Sugar. 

I'd guess that for the label's early releases, their 12" releases were pressed up in bulk and the 7's were a more limited release.

RioRecsCanada80.jpg

Excellent article Roburt, Thanks for that

Social source share

17 hours ago, Northern Soul UK said:

When I said the Matrix was stamped in, I meant as well as the numbers etc. there is an actual stamp, never seen it before, but I will post it so you can decide.
hard to get a good shot but here goes

2017-04-24 01.53.01.jpg

2017-04-24 01.54.03.jpg

2017-04-24 01.53.29.jpg

2017-04-24 01.53.43.jpg

You should be a little more clearer with what you say.

the CR in a circle is I believe the Canadian pressing plant Cinram.

Social source share

:hatsoff2:Hi All..... A lot of talk about the pressing  & the MATRIX #. but very little about the recording? Now the AD copy which is the origanal (Mick Smith gave my wife a original copy for her birthday back in 83, He has never given me anything for my birthday WHY?). To my ears this sounds like a runner up on POP IDLE, it is lacking any kind of soul, but that means that some collectors of rare & obscure POP/Crossover would not say no to owning it, however that is down to the individual/s I wonder what the value of this find is worth?, for me it is not my kind of sound however it is catchy and rare, any guesses? KTF Dave K

Social source share

To be blatently honest and to risk being shot. Alfie Davidson is also 70s/80s disco orientated too, but has been picked up by the Soul scene, as have, Evelyn King -Shame, The Brothers - Are you ready for this, Montclairs - Hung up on your love, Ace Spectrum - Don't send nobody else. In fact a great majority of "Modern Soul" is disco orientated, and definitely the stuff that came out of the Blackpool Mecca, a la: Esther Philips - What a difference......., Brainstorm - Loving is really my game, and many of that ilk, so it's hard to say that because this is discofied, it's shite.
Fire away, I'm a Yorkshire man with a broad back LOL
Oh! and Grace Kennedy was a winner on 'Opportunity knocks', so not far off dthedrug.
I wouldn't have a clue as to what it's worth as there isn't another one to gauge it by, but have been told by one prominent DJ/Dealer 'Name your price, someone will want it"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!