Ray Pollard

Geoff

While browsing the web I came across Marv Goldberg's R&B page where I read that Ray Pollard had been the singer with the Hector Rivera Band on three singles. One of these was I Want A Chance For Romance which I've heard at soul nights. Is it Ray on this?

Sorry if this topic has been dealt with in the past.

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks for replying Andy. I got my information from Marv Goldberg's site, he lists three Hector Rivera tracks as having RP on them:

BARRY (as vocalist with the Hector Rivera Orchestra)
1011 At The Party/Do It To Me - 66 
1012 Playing It Cool/I Got My Eye On You - 67
1020 I Want A Chance For Romance/Hueso (We So) - 67
            (It's possible that "Hueso" is an instrumental)

I've had a search and found a thread on SS in 2005 about Latin Soul and it seems that it may be David Coleman on some of these. All rather nice whoever is singing.

I used to enjoy your sets at Scenesville. Hope you are well.

Social source share

He's singing on "At The Party" and "Do It To Me".  (Little)David Coleman sounds a lot like him, and was the other singer with Hector Rivera's Band on Barry Records.  Barry 1012, 1013 and 1020 cuts sound more like David than Ray.  Just my opinion.  There seems to be divided camps on that.  No one seems to know for sure.

Social source share

14 hours ago, RobbK said:

He's singing on "At The Party" and "Do It To Me".  (Little)David Coleman sounds a lot like him, and was the other singer with Hector Rivera's Band on Barry Records.  Barry 1012, 1013 and 1020 cuts sound more like David than Ray.  Just my opinion.  There seems to be divided camps on that.  No one seems to know for sure.

Thanks Robb, I've listened to the Hector Rivera tracks but can't tell who is singing. As RP has passed away it's something that may never be solved.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

I can't for a moment believe Ray Pollard is singing "Chance for romance". Sounds nothing like him at all, and Pollard must be a good octave deeper! It sounds very obviously like David Coleman. 

I agree.  As I stated above, I think ONLY "Do It To Me" and "At The Party" sound really like Ray.  "Playing It Cool", "Chance For Romance", and all the others sound much, much more like David.  I think the source of the "information" that those others were also Ray was a guess and became an urban legend, with no real basis from an authoritative source.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert