house for sale

Soulie80

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME, WHY, IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, WHY MILLIE JACKSON, HOUSE FOR SALE, ON SPRING, IS ON EBAY FOR £75.00, BUY IT NOW.. HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING HERE, IM QUITE SURE I HAVNT BEEN IN A COMA FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS..

ALWAYS BEEN A £10/ £15 RECORD AT BEST, IN MY VIEW..

://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millie-Jackson-House-For-Sale-Northern-Soul-Modern-Funk-/172526998586?hash=item282b69143a:g:JrYAAOSw-0xYSvne

Edited by Soulie80
Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I thought the same, someone had one on here the other day for £50, though interestingly there's only one currently on Discogs (at 50 euros) so can't be that common

Is it UK only on 45?

I wondered about the mix thing too, are there two different mixes on 45? if so how come? The green one I think is the same as the LP version and appears quicker and more punchy with different backing vocals

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

I thought the same, someone had one on here the other day for £50, though interestingly there's only one currently on Discogs (at 50 euros) so can't be that common

Is it UK only on 45?

I wondered about the mix thing too, are there two different mixes on 45? if so how come? The green one I think is the same as the LP version and appears quicker and more punchy with different backing vocals

Indeed the LP cut is more punchier and an over all better production. I've given up on using you tube as a reference for record labels as too many liberties tend to be taken. Of the two posted above, the  first one  sounds like the Kent 45 version and the pink one is the original album version. The 7" was a UK only release for the soul market and is not rare by any means. I'm happy to be corrected on anything I've said here as it's been many years since I sold my UK copy.

Brilliant record whatever,

Dave

Social source share

29 minutes ago, Only Dreaming said:

Indeed the LP cut is more punchier and an over all better production. I've given up on using you tube as a reference for record labels as too many liberties tend to be taken. Of the two posted above, the  first one  sounds like the Kent 45 version and the pink one is the original album version. The 7" was a UK only release for the soul market and is not rare by any means. I'm happy to be corrected on anything I've said here as it's been many years since I sold my UK copy.

Of the two I posted above the green one is the same as the LP for me, the pink one (or whatever colour it is) has different backing vocals to the LP and and is a less punchy mix IMO. Don't know about the Kent 45 as not heard it and no youtube clip 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Green is the orig UK 45 (presumably the same as the LP ?? - Never had an LP, so don't know for sure). The Pink / Purple version with the Male backings is the Kent 45 from 10 years ago. Here's a link to the Kent 45 with sound clip ...

https://www.northernsouldirect.co.uk/millie-jackson-house-for-sale-garland-green-come-through-me-45-kent-7-vinyl.html

I think that Pink / Purple image is just a doctored image of a green label, as you can see the reflection in the vinyl at the very bottom is also the same colour.

hqdefault.jpg.6b78b0f12794e6eccbe666f6d1ed76bc.jpg

Cheers
Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

UK Spring/Polydor changed their 7" design in 1979 think the "Fatback Band - You're My Candy Sweet" was the first one, where the catalogue number on the right hand side changed from horizontal to vertical.  Also the 1979 release doesn't state "From the Spring LP Free & In Love", whereas the 1976 release does.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

same as far as i know

If you compare the two versions I posted higher up the first has backing vocals straight away, the second (later one) doesn't

Also when the backing vocals come in on the later version at about 23 seconds it sounds like different singers, singing the same words but with a different rhythm

Sounds to me like they remixed it and added different backing vocals. MJ's vocal same on both as far as I can tell

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

If you compare the two versions I posted higher up the first has backing vocals straight away, the second (later one) doesn't

Also when the backing vocals come in on the later version at about 23 seconds it sounds like different singers, singing the same words but with a different rhythm

Sounds to me like they remixed it and added different backing vocals. MJ's vocal same on both as far as I can tell

ive had them both and didnt spot at the time..... are the you tube clips reputable tho chris....easy to add pics to a soundfile

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

7 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

ive had them both and didnt spot at the time..... are the you tube clips reputable tho chris....easy to add pics to a sounfile

No idea but have heard the other silver version above being played out, remember thinking it was different to the one I had

The plot thickens :D

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

No idea but have heard the other silver version above being played out, remember thinking it was different to the one I had

The plot thickens :D

never ever seen a silver copy..150 copies on popsike and not a silver one among em

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Reckon I've solved it - just checked the link further up to the Kent version and that's the one with different backing vocals - maybe Ady didn't realise they'd used a different version, as has happened before of course

Looks like the youtube 'silver' clip I posted is a doctored green one with the Kent version playing

Makes sense when I think about it as it was Clegg Sun night a few years ago when I heard the other version

Need a lie down now

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chris Turnbull said:

But a different version??

Chris, the two green spring presses are the same version as each other The other version is the Kent 45  but whoever made the YouTube file used a fake image and just changed the colour from green to Purple. Airbrushtastic Mate.

Here's the Kent 45 with sound file

https://www.northernsouldirect.co.uk/millie-jackson-house-for-sale-garland-green-come-through-me-45-kent-7-vinyl.html

Cheers
Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Gold Band said:

Easy to tell the difference between album & Single clapping on the single all the way through.

Kirsty

The clapping all the way through is only on the Kent single version, not the Spring original single!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Come on guys didnt you see the thread on Facebook! Prices have all but become a joke! THeres even someone yesterday on here trying to sell Frederick Hymes for over £800. Its all become about whats the most I can get for something and has nothing to do with any value/valuations.

On the Millie Jackson I sold the original LP acetate to a local friend here in Aberdeen a couple of years ago for £30. He still has it as we discussed it a couple of weeks ago!

Social source share

On 4/29/2017 at 19:52, solidsoul said:

The clapping all the way through is only on the Kent single version, not the Spring original single!

Yes that was the mixed edited version for the US single that never happened. When they put it out in the UK they just edited down the LP version without the extra handclaps for the US 45 release.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 4/27/2017 at 10:26, Soulie80 said:

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME, WHY, IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, WHY MILLIE JACKSON, HOUSE FOR SALE, ON SPRING, IS ON EBAY FOR £75.00, BUY IT NOW.. HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING HERE, IM QUITE SURE I HAVNT BEEN IN A COMA FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS..

ALWAYS BEEN A £10/ £15 RECORD AT BEST, IN MY VIEW..

://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millie-Jackson-House-For-Sale-Northern-Soul-Modern-Funk-/172526998586?hash=item282b69143a:g:JrYAAOSw-0xYSvne

:hatsoff2:Hi Ady.... I'm sure you are not going nut's, I remember a UK ABC copy of Bobby Hutton selling for £150, why this is, can only be that the buyer is naive, New to the scene, or indeed does not know or has limited knowledge about buying vinyl. I could say that we all learnt the hard way, but there is a part of me who thinks that the dealer has mugged a potential soulster to our scene, and with the wisdom of old age needs a good spank? KTF Dave

Social source share

On 27/04/2017 at 13:47, soul shrews said:

And a brilliant flipside (There You Are) which did get released on 45 in the States

50 or 75 seems barmey to me, maybe demand ?

Cheers Paul

Totally agree, 'There You Are' is a great track. Not sure if things changed on release for the issue in the States, but on the demo I have it's the flip (again) to  'Bad Risk'. UK and USA both from 1976.

'House for Sale' has always had a place in my heart from when I lived in Deptford in the early '80s and got burgled. Sods took my music centre (remember those?) and stupidly I'd left my UK copy of 'House for Sale' on the deck, but even worse, a tape from Wigan. The insurance people were remarkably generous on the record but felt that the tape had no value whatsoever.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 12/05/2017 at 19:39, seano said:

Totally agree, 'There You Are' is a great track. Not sure if things changed on release for the issue in the States, but on the demo I have it's the flip (again) to  'Bad Risk'. UK and USA both from 1976.

'House for Sale' has always had a place in my heart from when I lived in Deptford in the early '80s and got burgled. Sods took my music centre (remember those?) and stupidly I'd left my UK copy of 'House for Sale' on the deck, but even worse, a tape from Wigan. The insurance people were remarkably generous on the record but felt that the tape had no value whatsoever.

Maybe it was your enthusiastic estimate of the record's value in the early 80s that started its price rise!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!