Ncsc Last Night

Peter

Well its Sunday morning, just got back from the CIS absolutely knackered, just like to say what a brilliant nighter, good sounds, no over played oldies, went downstairs about 2 O'clock stayed for about an hour or so, plenty of good modern/crossover tracks played, even though I didn't know many but managed to dance to a some, then it was a case of moving between the two rooms went back up stairs for Carl Willinghams set and the two girls after that, but by 6 Oclock the legs had had it after a few attempts to hobble of the dance floor it was time to go.

Thanks to Little -Stevie, Paul and their mates who for a few it was their first nighter, Lee from Oldham, Andy & Kevin from Cambridge, Sid, everyone from Nottingham, it was good to see quite a few young faces in there, and Rick and to all the "faces" you know but never know their names for a great night. :)

• Replies 42
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Have to smile, as just clocked who's online and regonised a fair few from last nite, so thought just throw up a quick shout or two

good to bump into all those who knock round here, defintely a case of too many too mention! :)

and also a very quick shout that imo it was a most enjoyable nite

downstairs was packed and kicking and upstairs did the buisness as well

more later....

Guest Andy BB

Absolutely brilliant night! What a superb venue, and if the people were any more friendly they'd have been having my babies.

The train back to London was great fun after two nights without sleep.

Definitely see you there next time. Any chance of installing a cigarette machine though?

This was my contribution to last nights first anniversary celebration at the CIS, in no particular order...... last hour set 7am - 8am could have been 1am the place was still rocking.............................

Rufus Wood - Before 2001 - Espanola

The Martells - Where Can My Baby Be - A La Carte

Jimmy Burns - I Really Love You - Erica

Shirley And Jesse - You Can't Fight Love - Wand

Willy McDougal - Don't Turn Away - Kinard

Troy Dodds - Try My Love - El Camino DJ

The Cashmeres - Show Stopper - Hem

Elbie Parker - Please Keep Away From Me - Veep DJ

Four Tracks - Like My Love For You - Mandingo

Ivorys - Please Stay - Despenza

The Masqueraders - How - La Beat

The Dynamics - I Need Your Love - RCA Victor DJ

Larry Clinton - She's Wanted - Dynamo DJ

Larry Davis - I've Been Hurt So Many Times - Kent DJ

George Blackwell - Can't Lose My Head - Smoke

The Professionals - That's Why I Love You - Groove City

Jimmy Wallace - I'll Be Back - Alfa

Johnny McCall - You Can't Get Away - Satellite DJ

Doris Troy - He's Qualified - Capitol

Bud Harper - Wherever You Were - Peacock

Bobby Kline - Say Something Nice To Me - MB

The Inspirations - You Wish Is My Command - Midas

Ray Pollard - The Drifter - United Artists DJ

Scientists Of Soul - Be's That-A-Way Sometime - Kashe

Pretty much it, just to add many thanks to everyone who has supported me and tuned into my Solar Radio show over the past four years, celebrating my own little anniverary tonight from 8pm - 10 pm ( see link here on Soulsource)

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Just adding to what the others have said GREAT NIGHT yet again, nice to meet up

with friends old and new, we were only going to stay till about 3am but ended up staying till 6

as Mark said a big thanks to Chris for putting so much hard work in to the nights

Bernadette & Sid

[ps for Mike joining in as promised]

Have to smile, as just clocked who's online and regonised a fair few from last nite, so thought just throw up a quick  shout or two

good to bump into all those who knock round here, defintely a case of too many too mention! :)

and also a very quick shout that imo it was a most enjoyable nite

downstairs was packed and kicking and upstairs did the buisness as well

more later....

link

Another top night at this fantastic venue, the downstairs room was the bees knees for me, I heard some awesome tunes!

Cant wait for the next one!!

cheers

Paul :)

Just adding to what the others have said GREAT NIGHT yet again, nice to meet up

with friends old and new, we were only going to stay till about 3am but ended up staying till 6

as Mark said a big thanks to Chris for putting so much hard work in to the nights

Bernadette & Sid

[ps for Mike joining in as promised]

link

Good to bump into you yet again Bernadette and Sid, wanna try some of those sales up on here Sid. :)

Yep, think mentioned something about posting info up, think was bit out of touch with your going ons, so thought be worthwhile for some of those around north west/wales etc types if post up quick info here in the events section on current score

Can remember you saying the ZTSC going well, Lime Street is no more, but there was an other event as well, names gone, manchester as well ?

mike

Thanks Mike will post up on events guide for ZTSC but as explained to you last night the reason behind the closer of Lime St, I'm sure some would like to hear the story but a fair few on here already know and the person in question is a good mate of ours,

As regards Sid and his records he is worst than me on the computer so that would give me another job to do for him!!!

Bernadette

Thanks Mike will post up on events guide for ZTSC but as explained to you last night the reason behind the closer of Lime St, I'm sure some would like to hear the story but a fair few on here already know and the person in question is a good mate of ours,

As regards Sid  and his records he is worst than me on the computer so that would give me another job to do for him!!!

Bernadette

link

==============

was gutted to miss last night

for me £ for £ the CIS allniter is 1 of the best in the country

well done chris and lee for a fab venue

Guest James Trouble

It was my first time at New Century, and very nice it was.

Downstairs was great, with northern, modern, disco, crossover, funkish all being thrown in the same pot. I heard LOADS of new stuff for my ears down there. While upstairs didn't stick to the 'same old' big room nighter sounds and still kept the dance floor packed right through till 8am. Very enjoyable.

Best sets for me were Butch down stairs, although I still think people should learn to dance to records they don't know. It's the same as dancing to records that you do know, but you just have to concentrate a little bit harder. Cookie's set was very enjoyable with several 'new' oldies for me and Mark almost killed me in the last hour.

The only problem for me were the dance floors which are made up of lots of squares pushed together which create very slight edges that are very easy to catch your feet on when shuffling or spinning. It's only an annoyance though and didn't detract from the night at all.

I finally got back to Chelmsford at 1.30pm after a hellish drive. :)

I can highly recomend this night, which I don't do very often. :)

It was my first time at New Century, and very nice it was.

Downstairs was great, with northern, modern, disco, crossover, funkish all being thrown in the same pot. I heard LOADS of new stuff for my ears down there. While upstairs didn't stick to the 'same old' big room nighter sounds and still kept the dance floor packed right through till 8am. Very enjoyable.

Best sets for me were Butch down stairs, although I still think people should learn to dance to records they don't know. It's the same as dancing to records that you do know, but you just have to concentrate a little bit harder. Cookie's set was very enjoyable with several 'new' oldies for me and Mark almost killed me in the last hour.

The only problem for me were the dance floors which are made up of lots of squares pushed together which create very slight edges that are very easy to catch your feet on when shuffling or spinning. It's only an annoyance though and didn't detract from the night at all.

I finally got back to Chelmsford at 1.30pm after a hellish drive. :(

I can highly recomend this night, which I don't do very often. :)

link

Had a superb night - big thanks to Chris and the gang - quality all the way through from start to finish. Despite commencing supping

:) at the Ducie at 4pm (Brett was thirsty!!) we somehow managed to survive until the end and Big Daddy played a blinding set that kept making my tired legs hit the dancefloor! Huge thanks to Little Stevie who let me crash at his place before my drive to the footy in Liverpool - I ended up getting home to Leeds at 8pm last night and boy did I sleep well! Great to see the Soul Source members there in abundance - the usual suspects - Shane, Kate, Pikey's Dog, John May etc etc. A brilliant night and brilliant company!

Rich

Wow, what a night. Started off in the ducie and qickly found myself dishing out the memberships while Mr Cato went off for a wander. Got in the venue about ten and thought the atmosphere all night was excellent. It was easily the best new century i've been to. Brought a few mates and their mates along for their niter debut and they absolutely loved it. One lad had never even heard any northern before and it really got him!

Even a thigh injury at approx 3.03am, which halted my dodgy dancing, didn't spoil it for me.

There is a real feel about this night and i really hope that it can go for many years.

Cheers to peter and lee, who i met for the first time and thought were quality blokes.

Whilst we were dancing the night away the traffic wardens were on fine form (sad bastards!!!) ticketing my mate for a double yellow offence, £30 and pulled lee for no ticket on the car park, £70!

Just to repeat what's already been said.. a marvellous nite. Great tunes and how much better can you get than Mark from 7-8. We were all up for an alldayer! Nice to meet a few people from here,put names to faces and that kind of thing although I'm not so sure about that picture on the gallery. Whoever that bird was claiming to be Reg Molehusband must have had one too many :)

What The Hell Happened ?......... all i can recall is a crazed half drunk Welshman rugby tackling me twice and Richard Caiton being played by Andy Whitmore, and Troy Dodds being played by Mark Bicknell.........................

Edited by Brett

Just to repeat what's already been said.. a marvellous nite. Great tunes and how much better can you get than Mark from 7-8. We were all up for an alldayer! Nice to meet a few people from here,put names to faces and that kind of thing although I'm not so sure about that picture on the gallery. Whoever that bird was claiming to be Reg Molehusband must have had one too many   :)

link

Great to meet you Reg, like you said, good to put faces to names, or faces to faces as the case may be...... :):(

Edited by Jamie

What The Hell Happened ?......... all i can recall is a crazed half drunk Welshman rugby tackling me twice and Richard Caiton being played by Andy Whitmore, and Troy Dodds being played by Mark Bicknell.........................

link

On the photo's in Johnny Mays' gallery, I must say in the NCSC photo you do look like a startled gazelle, with pint listing heavily to starboard.

Damn funny, one of the best evenings for a while, musically & socially.

J :)

Too right. well worth the 6-hours each way travelling. Had a swiftie in the Ducie too. (Sorry, but what a dump :) ) Best one for ages.

Never left the floor for Bicknell's spot, even for the ones I didn't know. Must have been something I ate. :) I'll be a regular now.

Big up to the NCSC - classic night of soul with no negatives. Well done guys.

I'll just add my twopenneth by reiterating what others have said....

Bloody brilliant night :)

It's great to be able to see SO many friends, and make new ones, and have plenty of room to dance!

The music was top-notch. When Cookie said "You're going to get some oldies" I could never have imagined just how brilliant her set was going to be!

All credit to Chris and his team.

(Apparently it made such an impression on Mark E that he is intending to leave Yorkshire for only the third time to attend the next one!) :(:)

Had a swiftie in the Ducie too. (Sorry, but what a dump :) ) Best one for ages.

Hey Jack this is Northern England mate, what did you expect " Starbucks" and your shoes shined! If you think the Ducie is a dump then come to my home city and i'll show you a few i've boozed in over the years,places where you have to fight a woman before they'll let you buy a short.

:)

Too right. well worth the 6-hours each way travelling. Had a swiftie in the Ducie too. (Sorry, but what a dump  :) ) Best one for ages.

Never left the floor for Bicknell's spot, even for the ones I didn't know. Must have been something I ate.  :(   I'll be a regular now.

Big up to the NCSC - classic night of soul with no negatives. Well done guys.

link

Bit of a crap thing to say that Jack. Okay the Ducie may not resemble the latest ultra cool bar but what are the benefits of that in real terms. The Ducie is allowing Stevie to put on a great warm up for us soul fans. Free entry, as close as you can get to the nighter, lots of parking and a cheaper bar bill than most places in central Manchester. Comments like that are damaging and although freedom of speech is great let's not knock the ones who are offering the alternative.

If you prefer the leather sofas, plush carpets, stainless steel props and toilets with fancy taps fair enough. However can you cope with the plastic people, crap music and lager at a fiver a go?

Steve needs all the support us soul fans can offer and good luck to him. The Ducie is a great place for up and coming DJ's to play the underplayed because the dance floor does not rule in there. It is a breeding ground for new sounds so pull up a barrell, spit on the floor at your pleasure and enjoy yourself.

Nice one Steve! :)

Shane

Yep I was a bit miffed about that Ducie comment-but I'm sure you didn't mean it really Jack. If you come to NCH again, let me know and I'll have a word with the landlord and arrange a chaise longue and cocktail menu just for you... by eck do you not watch Coronation Street!!

Yep I was a bit miffed about that Ducie comment-but I'm sure you didn't mean it really Jack. If you come to NCH again, let me know and I'll have a word with the landlord and arrange a chaise longue and cocktail menu just for you... by eck do you not watch Coronation Street!!

link

I love Ducie bridge, if i won the lottery i'd buy it, knock it about abit, so it was even more " a Dump ", then have soulnights every day of the week. The best soul nights i have ever been to have been in spit and sawdust places.....LONG LIVE THE DUCIE......LONG LIVE THE DUCIE.

God is it Friday yet......need another fix ( soul that is ) :)

Yeah John and which other pub can you go to on your lunch hour and listen to Northern Soul on the jukebox with a nice healthy chip buttie...nowhere that's where!

BTW u got that picture on quick enough.....I've searched all over this site to try and find out how to remove it. Cameras should be banned from all niters!!!

Reg :)

Where are the photos?Can't seem to find them.I was in the Ducie but stayed away from the photo shoot.Once on Crimewatch is enough for anyone :) .Did speak to Brett but I knew at the time he wouldn't remember.Noticed him dancing at about 3am so respect for holding it together :)

Stamford

Brett has just featured on the north west news, headline read...Confused youth's lost weekend, when questioned by the police he replied ' what a stomping night officer fancy a pint.....

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Mark any chance of putting on a alcohol free soul night......just so we can prolong our lives by a few months :)

How do soul monkeys, just wanted to add another load of positivity really, it was my second alnighter and I loved it, brought a few mates who had never been to a Northern night and we all loved it, i couldnt get over how sound everyone was, i lost my wallet and cigs and couldnt believe it when they were in the same place I left them (head f*ck) an hour later what a bunch of stars.

Its Northern forever for me now

cant wait for the next one

Just need to sort out a new kidney and im rollin

Del

P.S. Steve Cato sorry for not being 7ft tall

:lol: Hi to all at long last managed to get round to registering!

KNow I am a little late but hey what the heck..

What a night last Sat at NCSC even though I got smacked for 70 big ones when I went into the pub for change for the machine!!!!

Some solid sets played that kept me on the floor all night :thumbsup: Met some cracking people and really enjoyed the night.

Lee

Guest Chris Waterman

Let's not forget the next one in January, is also Steve Cato's birthday all dayer at Ducie bridge......One of the scene's true nice guy's. I'm sure we'll all make it a day for him to remember.. :thumbsup:   :thumbup:   beer.gif

link

John

I have just booked some live PA for Steve's birthday bash, you can check them out on the SSCDT Karokie Shocker post by Pete S

regards

Chris W