Info / valuation on Acetate

Guest briktf

Guest briktf

Looking for a value on this New Wanderers acetate , came from Carl F and Gary Spencer ..thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

Social source share

I somehow doubt it's an original US acetate. "UK style" handwriting and by coincidence both Northern titles on one 45, even though they were released on two different 45s. However I'm happy to be corrected....:thumbsup:

Social source share

36 minutes ago, Benji said:

I somehow doubt it's an original US acetate. "UK style" handwriting and by coincidence both Northern titles on one 45, even though they were released on two different 45s. However I'm happy to be corrected....:thumbsup:

I'm not doubting the conclusion Benji based on circumstances of the titles on either side, but I'm curious as to what is UK style handwriting?  :g:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've no idea of the provenance or originality of the disc, but I must point out that having non-corresponding sides on an acetate - ie, two sides that weren't paired up on a 45 - doesn't point to it being fake. There could be many reasons why these two sides were put back-to-back.

As an example, here's an Allegro Sound acetate which has a track by the G Clefs on each side. Both tracks were released on the Loma label with "Party '66" coming out on Loma 2034 (released March 1966 as the flip to the dire "Little lonely boy"), and "I can't stand it" being released three months later, in June 1966, on Loma 2048 (paired with "Whirlwind").

GClefsAcetate-Party66.jpeg.c199b6967cecd5338d204e7dba134fe1.jpeg

GClefsAcetate-ICantStandIt.jpeg.5c952094b47b7c896bdc128c5b53697d.jpeg

In this instance I'd consider the likely story to be that the G Clefs acetate was cut so it could be touted around to record labels that might be interested in buying or licensing and subsequently releasing it - in this case Loma.

I could also show you a Bell Sound Studios acetate with The Toys "Lover's concerto" on one side and "I've got a man" on the other. The latter track, of course, was never released as a 45 in the US.

As said, just because the tracks on an acetate don't correspond to both sides of a 45 does not necessarily, by itself, point to it being a fake. The New Wanderer's acetate has some degree of provenance, having allegedly passed through some well-known hands. They should be able to prove the background that'll help determine whether it's real or not. 

Also, it should be noted that the track times on the acetate are longer than those given on the respective 45s. Times on labels aren't always accurate, but regardless I'd sure want to give both acetate cuts a listen to see whether they are slightly longer takes that were shortened or faded out on the actual releases.

Social source share

Guest briktf

I spoke to Carl last night and he remembers selling this . I also remember the Beltone acetate identical to this one which had Let Me Render on one side and Ain't Gonna Do You No Harm on the other, think John Parker has/had . On this particular one you can hear a voice at the end saying "cut  cut". These studio acetates were done pre - release , so not necessarily going to have released tracks on same acetate . As Russel said plenty other acetates with different b sides to label release

Social source share

On 4.5.2017 at 00:45, markw said:

I'm not doubting the conclusion Benji based on circumstances of the titles on either side, but I'm curious as to what is UK style handwriting?  :g:

UK style handwriting is all in capital letters. But, reading the other posts, my conclusion was obviously wrong.

Social source share

Yep that told us Benji....  my new valuation, I'd expect you to insure this piece for up to 250 pounds. It may fetch more at auction, the hand writing being a prime example of capitalised handwriting not generally found on examples like this....

A rare find, it's been a pleasure to to cast an eye on such beautiful item, thank you for bringing it in....

Social source share

Guest randy

Ready Records and Beltone are both New York outfits you can go online  easily find other Beltone acteates with capitalized hand writing so not that odd.

It all looks correct to me    

Social source share

So How much is this worth? I wouldnt have a clue but my god it really has to be rare as hens teeth! Im not going to use the term In Demand because that is so subjective but Im guessing both sides would fill the floor from a DJ perspective! OBviously condition has to be taken into consideration.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!