Promoter Female Dj's

• Replies 62
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest vinylvixen

PROMOTERS U HAVE THE LAST SAY U PAY THE DOSH BRING THE THE ODD FEMALE INTO THE TOP VENU'S MOVE WITH THE TIME'S THERE'S PLENTY OF FEMALE'S OUT THERE CAN STAND THERE OWN NOT KNOCKING ANY MALES IT'S 2006 NOT 1976. BILLY

Yes Billy, I'm very odd....thanks for noticing laugh.gif Jo

Social source share

As Kylee was leaving Stoke the other week, she asked "what do you have to do to get a spot here"

"Change your sex" was the answer........ ohmy.gif

===============

Wonder if any female DJ has been asked or has asked for a spot though Sian? Also the politics of the scene may cause probs either way?

Social source share

As Kylee was leaving Stoke the other week, she asked "what do you have to do to get a spot here"

"Change your sex" was the answer........ ohmy.gif

Dont understand,theres plenty of girly`s spinnin` tunes down sarf,might be a northern thing?,especialy when it seems 2 thirds of the punters are male,allthough i couldnt guarantee it,oh and up`t north you got jumpie Joan.

Social source share

Dont understand,theres plenty of girly`s spinnin` tunes down sarf,might be a northern thing?,especialy when it seems 2 thirds of the punters are male,allthough i couldnt guarantee it,oh and up`t north you got jumpie Joan.

==============

Thats one of the reasons I asked Billy what top venues. 100 has had Jo, Maxine, Christina etc etc. Driv's do had Dawn as a resident, These old shoes.....Jo Wallace.

Social source share

==============

Thats one of the reasons I asked Billy what top venues. 100 has had Jo, Maxine, Christina etc etc. Driv's do had Dawn as a resident, These old shoes.....Jo Wallace.

Way too many................ :wicked:

Social source share

PROMOTERS U HAVE THE LAST SAY U PAY THE DOSH BRING THE THE ODD FEMALE INTO THE TOP VENU'S MOVE WITH THE TIME'S THERE'S PLENTY OF FEMALE'S OUT THERE CAN STAND THERE OWN NOT KNOCKING ANY MALES IT'S 2006 NOT 1976. BILLY

And do not forget the Italian ones !!!

:wicked::ohmy::lol::)

ciao,

Barbara

Social source share

And do not forget the Italian ones !!!

:wicked::ohmy::lol::)

ciao,

Barbara

SHUT UP YOU WOMAN...!!!

Don't you know italian women stay in the kitchen and not behind the decks...?

:no::lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

It is hard for me right now BECAUSE I am a female...here it's still male dominated and some clubs and promoters automatically assume that females can't get a crowd going. And if I get a gig, they are more concerned with my physical appearance than my business.

My name change is one of the reasons I am still out there trying to get my first break...many think they are getting a male DJ and when they meet me, they are very surprised! (heh heh) :wicked:

Social source share

:lol:

Kitchen???

That's a strange word for me.....

:no:

KITCHEN:

It's that room in your flat where we spend Sunday morning after BTSC 'niters. You can recognize the kitchen because on the table there's always a dish (usually hot), some rolled notes and one or two credit cards... :ohmy::wicked::)

Social source share

KITCHEN:

It's that room in your flat where we spend Sunday morning after BTSC 'niters. You can recognize the kitchen because on the table there's always a dish

:thumbsup:

No hot dishes on my table.... only a black cat....

....That's the first sentence you learn at school: "the cat is on the table" :shades:

(or was it "the pen is on the table"?? :( )

ciao, un bacio a Letizia!

Barbara

Social source share

I can only speak for myself but I'd be pretty pissed off if I was booked for a gig because of my gender and not my records and ability to get people dancing.

Totally agree, gender should not be a question asked when booking a DJ........... however, this is an age old issue, started by the greeks (did gender restrictions in art as my thesis for degree, traced this policy back to pandoras box..........got me a 1st tho wacko.gif )

Kylie was also told to forget getting a spot at the Mars Bar in worcester too, for this very reason.........unfortunately for her she is also under 40, double trouble....

BUT having experienced dancing to her sets several times now (last one has earned her a spot in the main room at Studio 1 on Friday)...........she certainly is competition for the 'established elite'.......

Hope she doesn't get disheartened and give up :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

===========

I did mention Christina :(

but you DIDN'T mention Barbara :thumbsup: BTW...Don't forget Sue Brick n 'Manda and Val Palmer....Val was resident @ 100 and I've done Cleethorpes, Pressthatin, Northampton....and this 'argument' re: female djs will rumble on and on....i'm getting bored with it being dug up every couple of months....we've exhausted the topic. Night night :shades: Jo

Social source share

ive had female dj,s at my event in lightwater

the luvverly alison for one

she was very well recieved in my modern room

maxine woon is my resident female and anne todd has alse spun toons for me

i also had a female only night at upbeat soul club in morden and on another occasion had alison and then maxine there to

more ladies will be booked for next year to

moldie

Edited by moldie
Social source share

Guest just mo

I've dj'd at 100 club, Wilton, Greatstone and a few other places, and was still asked recently if I was playing somebody else's (yes, a man's) records!

Social source share

"Change your sex" was the answer........ :thumbsup:

Spot on venues like Stoke lifeline Marrs middletons another big venue coming up Wolverhampton,main venues like weekenders Cleethorpes,Blackpool, Skegnes,peterbourgh soul venues theres 5 of them northhampton venues what about Burnley am not talking about the little dark room at the back am talking about the main venue and not just the odd venue,a resident female DJ are you getting my drift.

Billy

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

it's never bothered me booking women for basics , we've had Jennie Baillie (twice and the secnd time she was pregnant) , Rachel Shirley and Emily McCartney and all 3 have done sterling jobs and were booked for their tunes

Davie

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

It never dawned that there were many female DJs until Subway Soul in NYC had an event there and now I am seeing there are just as much elsewhere! :thumbsup:

Social source share

it's never bothered me booking women for basics , we've had Jennie Baillie (twice and the secnd time she was pregnant) , Rachel Shirley and Emily McCartney and all 3 have done sterling jobs and were booked for their tunes

Davie

and that is relevant HOW? :thumbsup::(:shades:

Social source share

I've dj'd at 100 club, Wilton, Greatstone and a few other places, and was still asked recently if I was playing somebody else's (yes, a man's) records!

:thumbsup: Just what planet do SOME blokes come from - Men are from Mar's & Women are from Venus must be true then :(

Hi Mo,

Bet your bottom dollar he was jeolous - most guy's thankfully not so small minded.

See ya out soon

Karen

x

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

"Change your sex" was the answer........ :thumbsup:

Not when she came to studio 1

Social source share

It is hard for me right now BECAUSE I am a female...here it's still male dominated and some clubs and promoters automatically assume that females can't get a crowd going. And if I get a gig, they are more concerned with my physical appearance than my business.

My name change is one of the reasons I am still out there trying to get my first break...many think they are getting a male DJ and when they meet me, they are very surprised! (heh heh) :lol:

i had the same in the past...cookie is a very non gender title...age >> has bugger all to do with it....i used to do modern stuff ( well new releases ) in the 80's no one has a problem with girls playing modern....im over 40...been on the scene for more years than i care to remember....done the 100 club....was once a resident at the marrs bar..so they do have female dj's...erm well me basically...the male domination of the scene alas is here to stay....they are scared of women with better records...and lets face it a more outlandish view ( as the female needs to stand out more )....jo yr the mutts nuts....rachel u aint scared hun keep on stickin yr neck out and playing wot you believe in cos i commented the first time i heard you play out " jeesus amen the girl has guts and i like that "...but ive given up on the dj fing now cos it aint worth the stress...why should we as females have to work 10 times harder to get a spot????.....britain as a whole is undergoing a take over by women....we earn more....dont wanna stay home and have babies...and will be in control soon so take heart all female wannabes :thumbsup:

gettin me coat.... :wicked:

cookie wicked.gif

Social source share

But billy my friend,carol mccarthy is resident main room middleton miss popcorn is resident in the r n b room,maria willingham is resident in the crossover room and there is always at least another one or two on at every niter.Burslem our new joint promotion with allan johnson has jayne carter and liana on the 25th nov,and as for miss wallace its a case of when she can fit us in [eh joe] :thumbsup: .

Social source share

But billy my friend,carol mccarthy is resident main room middleton miss popcorn is resident in the r n b room,maria willingham is resident in the crossover room and there is always at least another one or two on at every niter.Burslem our new joint promotion with allan johnson has jayne carter and liana on the 25th nov,and as for miss wallace its a case of when she can fit us in [eh joe] :wicked: .

Hi Andy i did'nt go to the last one and i believe she was the last one before keep the good work up Andy at least your moving forward my fault i shoud've mentioned it earler.

Billy :thumbsup:

Social source share

but you DIDN'T mention Barbara :thumbsup: BTW...Don't forget Sue Brick n 'Manda and Val Palmer....Val was resident @ 100 and I've done Cleethorpes, Pressthatin, Northampton....and this 'argument' re: female djs will rumble on and on....i'm getting bored with it being dug up every couple of months....we've exhausted the topic. Night night wink.gif Jo

============

How do you raise awareness then Jo? I asked Billy what 'top venues' cos basically I thought he was referring to Stoke. From what I've read further on, many venues use female DJs and solely based on the tunes they play, which is how it should be. Apologies for missing out some people, was just giving the odd example :wicked:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

But billy my friend,carol mccarthy is resident main room middleton miss popcorn is resident in the r n b room,maria willingham is resident in the crossover room and there is always at least another one or two on at every niter.Burslem our new joint promotion with allan johnson has jayne carter and liana on the 25th nov,and as for miss wallace its a case of when she can fit us in [eh joe] :D .

Andy, pass me the shoehorn and the pot of vaseline.... :D Life's a trifle hectic at the moment but I have MIDDLETON written in green felt tip on a post-it stuck to my 2006 year planner....and it will get transferred onto the 2007 planner...so you are always foremost in my thoughts :yes:

Billy, thanks for putting this post up - I can see where you're coming from.....but things won't change in my life time - there will always be an imbalance in the dj ratio as there just aren't that many dj's who are women. I put it down to testosterone....seriously..... :yes: Plus, I don't know that many women who would want to traipse up and the down the length and breadth of UK & abroad over a weekend with a box of 40 year old vinyl in one hand and an overnight bag in t'other. Glamourous as it may seem, it's not - playing the records is the icing on the cake - standing on some windswept train platform at 8am on a Sunday morning isn't....if offered the choice, most women would plump for the all expenses paid 3 day special at Champney's or a sexfest with a first division footballer.... :yes: Call me old fashioned but I'll stick to my Danny Woods and Apex train tickets :D

Cookie...woof :P

On a closing note - I have NEVER seen myself as a 'female' dj....just Jo. If people still can't see beyond the gender and hear the music, that's their problem and their loss. I'll just play my tunes where they're appreciated wink.gif And with that, I flounce off this topic in a swish of chiffon and a clatter of sling backs :yes: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

============

How do you raise awareness then Jo?

By gripping a few select promoters by the testicles , who still don't understand dj equality, until tears come to their eyes. .... :yes:

I asked Billy what 'top venues' cos basically I thought he was referring to Stoke....

Winnie, there are only a few pockets of resistence and those promoters need to be pitied rather than scorned....perhaps a session with Nurse Ratchet might help :yes:

From what I've read further on, many venues use female DJs and solely based on the tunes they play, which is how it should be.

Winnie, 99% of people are as enlightened as you but the Soul Jurassic Posse still exist....sadly, global warming has put paid to an Ice Age biggrin.gif

Apologies for missing out some people, was just giving the odd example :yes:

Apologies accepted....just raising your awareness, Winnie :yes: Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

How do you raise awareness then Jo?

By gripping a few select promoters by the testicles , who still don't understand dj equality, until tears come to their eyes. .... :yes:

I asked Billy what 'top venues' cos basically I thought he was referring to Stoke....

Winnie, there are only a few pockets of resistence and those promoters need to be pitied rather than scorned....perhaps a session with Nurse Ratchet might help :yes:

From what I've read further on, many venues use female DJs and solely based on the tunes they play, which is how it should be.

Winnie, 99% of people are as enlightened as you but the Soul Jurassic Posse still exist....sadly, global warming has put paid to an Ice Age :P

Apologies for missing out some people, was just giving the odd example :yes:

Apologies accepted....just raising your awareness, Winnie laugh.gif Jo

===============

Awareness heightened Jo :yes:

Social source share

I THINK WOMEN ARE ACE..........AND IF THEY LIKE SOUL THEY ARE TRIPLE ACE

I think the reason there are not as many women DJs as men is down to the fact that when we get divorced - the men are much better at hiding the choons from the solicitor - and remembering what they cost - :yes::yes::yes:laugh.gif:P:D:D

Val from the 100 club might beg to differ!

Seriously dudes - I dont think it matters what race, religion, or sex someone is - If a persons got a passion for vintage soul tunes then thats it.

I dont think its about women not getting up there because they are women - I think its down to the few outstanding DJs that play all the big events that have the best collections!

(as they are really old and bought all the good ones before I was born!)

It would not matter if I was a gay, moslem, transexual, welsh....whatever. If i have not got the choons in me box buddy....i aint gonna get a big gig!

It is well good to see more of the Ladies on DJ line ups ... like i said, they are booked for their knowlege, and their collections - nothing else!

Its about them old tunes man - ! :yes:

Social source share

I think the reason there are not as many women DJs as men is down to the fact that when we get divorced - the men are much better at hiding the choons from the solicitor - and remembering what they cost - :yes::yes:shhh.gif:P:D:D:D

Seriously dudes - I dont think it matters what race, religion, or sex someone is - If a persons got a passion for vintage soul tunes then thats it.

I dont think its about women not getting up there because they are women - I think its down to the few outstanding DJs that play all the big events that have the best collections!

It would not matter if I was a gay, moslem, transexual, welsh....whatever. If i have not got the choons in me box buddy....i aint gonna get a big gig!

It is well good to see more of the Ladies on DJ line ups ... like i said, they are booked for their knowlege, and their collections - nothing else!

==========

or........Old man tunes :yes:

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

the male domination of the scene alas is here to stay....they are scared of women with better records...and lets face it a more outlandish view ( as the female needs to stand out more

why should we as females have to work 10 times harder to get a spot????.....britain as a whole is undergoing a take over by women....we earn more....dont wanna stay home and have babies...and will be in control soon so take heart all female wannabes :yes:

gettin me coat.... :yes:

cookie :yes:

Scared...or jealous? :D I say the latter...I remember a male DJ a while ago being highly upset with me and stopped at nothing to berate me because of the collection I have, saying things like it's someone else's, I stole them, I (you fill in the blank) someone to get where I am ohmy.gif ...lucky the people he spoke negatively about me to knew me well and he never got an offer to play! :yes:

Yeah why should we work harder...because we have curves? :P Consider them dangerous! :D

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

On a closing note - I have NEVER seen myself as a 'female' dj....just Jo. If people still can't see beyond the gender and hear the music, that's their problem and their loss. I'll just play my tunes where they're appreciated wink.gif And with that, I flounce off this topic in a swish of chiffon and a clatter of sling backs :P Jo

I haven't either...just another DJ that LOVES what I do...and look good doing it! Could I borrow your dress someday? :D

I think the reason there are not as many women DJs as men is down to the fact that when we get divorced - the men are much better at hiding the choons from the solicitor - and remembering what they cost - :yes::yes:shhh.gif:D:Dlaugh.gif:lol:

Right on! :yes:

Social source share

I think the reason there are not as many women DJs as men is down to the fact that when we get divorced - the men are much better at hiding the choons from the solicitor - and remembering what they cost - :thumbsup::thumbup:shhh.giflaugh.gif:D:D:lol:

U SAY MALES R THE BEST DJS BEACUSE THEY GOT THE BEST COLLECTIONS BULLSHIT TOP DJ'S PULL THE CROWD BECAUSE OF THE NAME MAYBE COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. BILLY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!