Sandra Phillips

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...I've exhausted all my normal avenues of research trying to find any printed words about Sandra Phillips. Can anyone on here remember whether or not she's ever been written about, or interviewed, at any time since she made her Canyon LP in 1969? And if she has, can 'anyone' point me in the direction of something that I can read for myself?

Thanks in advance!

TONE :wicked:

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

See https://arthurshafman.com/artists/sandra/

and

https://arthurshafman.com/artists/sandra/bbpresskit.html

Loved the "Too Many People" LP... (and the breathy "We Got Love") and always been a fan of the Broadway & Okeh stuff.

By the way...anybody ever noticed the near identical backing (From Arthur Wright) on Sandra's "You Succeeded" and the Flirtations "Natural Born Lover")

Good Call Tone. Well overdue some kind of appreciation.

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

I didn't really like World Without Sunshine and I next got to hear Sandra when Charly put out a CD containing 'Too many people in One Bed' and Doris Duke's 'I'm a Loser.' I think this was unfortunate as Sandra, in my opinion, could just not match Doris when performing these Jerry Williams songs. But very great, nonetheless!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

All very helpful stuff fellas, thanks muchly - I had indeed completely forgotten that she was now Sandra R-P, so that's a great lead!

The plan is for us to follow up the Kent releases of Doris Duke and Irma Thomas' Swamp Dogg material with a pairing of Sandra's Canyon LP (long out of print on the previous CD issue) and the 11 tracks (6 previously unissued, I think) that Swamp recorded on Bette Williams. We're already well on our way with this, and hope to have it out by March or April next year.

Agree with Billy that once you've heard Doris sing Swamp that it's hard to be quite so overwhelmed by anyone else's take on his material, but Sandra's album is a stunner in its own right and deserves to stop living in the shadow of "I'm A Loser" - which it hopefully will once this CD's on the market...

You boys will be thanked in the booklet as well as now!

Social source share

The plan is for us to follow up the Kent releases of Doris Duke and Irma Thomas' Swamp Dogg material with a pairing of Sandra's Canyon LP (long out of print on the previous CD issue) and the 11 tracks (6 previously unissued, I think) that Swamp recorded on Bette Williams. We're already well on our way with this, and hope to have it out by March or April next year. :wicked:

That's GREAT news! By the way, have you heard the acetate with the two unissued Sandra Phillips tunes I've got (if not, check them out HERE)? I asked Swamp about it (who didn't seem to know anything) and he was going to ask Sandra, but I never heard back from him. Also, regarding the Millie Jackson stuff, let me know if you're still up for it.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

That's GREAT news! By the way, have you heard the acetate with the two unissued Sandra Phillips tunes I've got (if not, check them out HERE)? I asked Swamp about it (who didn't seem to know anything) and he was going to ask Sandra, but I never heard back from him. Also, regarding the Millie Jackson stuff, let me know if you're still up for it.

Hi Sebastian,

No I hadn't heard these tracks before - I don't know where they originate from, either (possibly out-takes from the "Miss Fatback" session, although they sound a bit earlier than that to me). Both pretty nice, the ballad more so!

Will PM you about the Millies....

Best as always,

TONY :wicked:

PS: How much do I want that Jenny Wren 45 you've got on offer at the moment? Man, you have NO idea!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Hello Tony , I've got the " Too many people " album on the Special Agent re- issue , think Clive Richardson did the sleeve notes , will dig it out and see if there's any interesting info on there .Remember one great quote from Jerry Williams , stating that " he wouldn't trade her for a tap - dancing turkey " - typical Swamp Dogg humour !! Love her " Hoping you'll come back " on Okeh , produced by the great Mike Terry .Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I have an unissued acetate of "You Suceeded", it's the backing track which still has the bcking vocals on it. I'd post it up here but I can't post windows media files, and I don't have an MP3 encoder at the moment. I think it's a bit punchier than the vocal version, to be honest.

You can just hear Sandra Phillips' vocals bleeding through in the background.

I'm thinking of putting it on the CD for the You Know You Got Soul christmas party.

Social source share

Hello Tony,

I can probably put you in touch with Sandra Phillips. She's a friend of our client Ken Williams who wrote her Okeh single "Hoping You'll Come Back". And it's ironic that the producer was Mike Terry who is also a Millbrand client (it's a small world).

Anyway, Sandra lives in New York and is a very successful actress. I've asked Ken to give her a call.

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

...I've exhausted all my normal avenues of research trying to find any printed words about Sandra Phillips. Can anyone on here remember whether or not she's ever been written about, or interviewed, at any time since she made her Canyon LP in 1969? And if she has, can 'anyone' point me in the direction of something that I can read for myself?

Thanks in advance!

Tone, I'm sure Blues & Soul did a little piece on her around the time of the release of her LP in '69/'70. John Abbey seemed to be a particular fan of anything Swamp Dogg was involved with. I would imagine that you have early Blues & Soul issues from that time (I could dig mine out of storage if neeed be)?

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...My thanks again to everyone who offered help. I guess I should maybe have mentioned in my original posting that I already had the Special Agent pressing of the album myself, and that the conspicuous lack of info in Clive Richardson's sleevenote was what prompted my inquiry in the first place, but even so thanks to Neil (and Niki) and Eddie for taking the trouble to dig their copies out.

I'm hopeful that Paul's lead will bear fruit - if it doesn't, this could well end up being the shortest sleeve note I've ever written!

Thanks again to everyone...

TONE :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!