elvis memorabilia - is this the future ?

Mike

There's an article here about the market dropping out of elvis memorabilia

Can’t help falling in price: why Elvis memorabilia is plummeting in value
As the King’s fans die of old age, and their collections hit the second-hand market, vintage Elvis records have never been cheaper

https://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2017/may/07/elvis-presley-memorabilia-plummeting-in-price

is this a forewarning for us all about what things be like in say 10 or so years time ?

Social source share

In some respects I'm surprised to see the Elvis market go in decline, simply because I guess I've always considered him to be musically immortal. But, as has been pointed out, with older collectors dying and new ones being fewer, the demand - and the interest - is clearly fading. 

I guess the other aspect is the generational one: those who loved Elvis first time around passed on their enthusiasm to their own kids, who would have seen and heard The King on TV/radio, etc. The grandchildren of the original generation will have their own kids, making Elvis as much as four generations away from the present day. 

What Elvis needs is another comeback. Or rather, his estate does. Just as the Northern Soul film and ongoing media interest has fuelled something of a resurgence on the scene, so Elvis needs to be a presence in modern life if he is not to be forgotten.

I recall when Prince was going through his "no name" phase, he was described by a music journalist as "The man formerely known as collectable". Of course, Prince gave the greatest gift to his estate and his legacy by up and dying. Prince is the new Elvis in posthumous terms, perhaps.

The decline of the "Northern" scene and thus the collectability of the records is inevitable - at some point. My own feeling is that in the shorter term "Northern Soul" be subsumed into a greater vintage "Black Music" scene. The collecting aspect will focus on whatever the preferred style of the day might be, and filter out stuff that doesn't meet that criteria - pretty much like today, of course.

And just as Doo-Wop is breathing its last as a collectible musical form, so 90 per cent of Northern will go out of vogue except for a few die-hards, who'll continue to pay handsomely for the rarest of the rare. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

spot on maslar!   I would not be bothered about falling prices. If i wanted to trade a £100 record for another £100 record today, it would be the same to me if i did the deal in 5 years when they were both worth £50.  & the same monthly spend on records will buy twice as many if the prices dropped by half.  A price drop would of course hit those hoping to 'cash in' on a collection acquired at todays prices if the market drops. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ever the optimist when it comes to Northern vinyl, the music will last for ever. Some records will wear out, others will break, but the volume of 45's out there ensures a future for the music. Given the sounds are the best on the planet and there's a lack of new music being produced, Northern and it's close relatives will continue to thrive. Forgotten tunes will come back into fashion as DJ's look for something fresh. Those on modest budgets will enjoy the sounds on one format or another and probably buy up the legacy of previous collectors in decades to come - by then, Holly St James will sell for £10,000, a month's wages, and collectors will be just as skint as they are now.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Also of course the internet has changed everything, (most obviously ebay.). This  in particular relates to  the kind of items that the dealer says he "can't give away" nowadays - the £10 to £15. items of two decades ago. It's these items with their "book prices" that provide the best potential bargain finds on ebay. Trying to compare the situation 20 years ago to today is a little pointless. Back in the 70s, 80s, 90s dealers ruled the roost and most sellers tended to price according to publications such as Record Collector.    

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 10/05/2017 at 20:32, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Ever the optimist when it comes to Northern vinyl, the music will last for ever. Some records will wear out, others will break, but the volume of 45's out there ensures a future for the music. Given the sounds are the best on the planet and there's a lack of new music being produced, Northern and it's close relatives will continue to thrive.  

I admire your optimism mate but can't agree with the logic you're applying.

Its the volume of collectors willing to pay money that will affect the value of records, which is what we're talking about, the number will inevitably decrease - lets not beat around the bush, a lot of us will be dead in 10/20 years!

Best sounds on the planet? Of course I agree with that but again, we're in a tiny minority that will become tinier due to my point above.

People put forward the argument of new/younger people coming along and worldwide interest etc but i just don't buy it

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!