The Great Paul Williams

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...I know I will get lynched by the D. Ruffin Fan Club for saying so, but as far as I'm concerned, the Temptations have never had a better lead singer in their whole career than their original one, the late Paul Williams.

I love David, Dennis, Ollie, Eddie, Damon, Louis and all, but just about all of my favourite Tempts records are those that feature Paul prominently. His incredible performance on "Don't Look Back" is a real 'Desert Island Disc' for me, and the bit where he comes in on "Just My Imagination" - with "Every Night, On My Knees I Pray..." - is musical chocolate spread on warm toast in my book...

I also adore "Your Wonderful Love", "Just Let Me Know", "Just Another Lonely Night", "Baby Baby I Need You", "Farewell My Love", "Come On Back To Me Baby" and so many more featuring his lead.

I think it's a great shame that he's so often airbrushed out of the picture when people talk up Tempts vocalists, and I just wanted, not to start a debate on 'who's your favourite temptation' or anything, but to speak up in praise of inarguably one of the greatest lead singers of all time - and to find out if anyone else rates Paul as highly as I do...

TONE :wicked:

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

...I know I will get lynched by the D. Ruffin Fan Club for saying so, but as far as I'm concerned, the Temptations have never had a better lead singer in their whole career than their original one, the late Paul Williams.

I love David, Dennis, Ollie, Eddie, Damon, Louis and all, but just about all of my favourite Tempts records are those that feature Paul prominently. His incredible performance on "Don't Look Back" is a real 'Desert Island Disc' for me, and the bit where he comes in on "Just My Imagination" - with "Every Night, On My Knees I Pray..." - is musical chocolate spread on warm toast in my book...

I also adore "Your Wonderful Love", "Just Let Me Know", "Just Another Lonely Night", "Baby Baby I Need You", "Farewell My Love", "Come On Back To Me Baby" and so many more featuring his lead.

I think it's a great shame that he's so often airbrushed out of the picture when people talk up Tempts vocalists, and I just wanted, not to start a debate on 'who's your favourite temptation' or anything, but to speak up in praise of inarguably one of the greatest lead singers of all time - and to find out if anyone else rates Paul as highly as I do...

TONE :ohmy:

totally agree tone :wicked: love early temps, boy bands of today could learn a

thing or two from this superb outfit imho

russ

Social source share

TONE :wicked:

Hi Tone

I must agree completely with you regarding Paul Williams, what a shame that he has been overlooked for so long,

I just couldn't help but search out a copy of "Don't Look Back" after hearing this wonderful performance.

Gordy_G-7047_DJ.jpg

Definitely agree, It couldn't have been Improved on by any of the other Temptations on Lead - Perfection.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Once You Had a Heart - paul williams - motown

11207 refosoul

Unreleased recording from TEMPTATIONS: ONE BY ONE CD set...was trying to find my copy of DON'T LOOK BACK but I don't have it with me today.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Feel Like Givin' Up - paul williams - motown

11208 refosoul

From TEMPTATIONS: ONE BY ONE...Eddie Kendricks shares co-writing credit on this song.

Social source share

His incredible performance on "Don't Look Back" is a real 'Desert Island Disc' for me, and the bit where he comes in on "Just My Imagination" - with "Every Night, On My Knees I Pray..." - is musical chocolate spread on warm toast in my book...

TONE :(

Not forgetting 'Check Yourself' on MIRACLE, which I think is a fab record.

Paul Williams is my pseudonym at work. :shades: Ruff # 1 for me, but PW close second. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Can't play this at work.

But it is, isn't it???

Tony

Yes...he gives his heart and soul with this performance and the production is very tight...I didn't want to overflood the board with my clips! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes...he gives his heart and soul with this performance and the production is very tight...I didn't want to overflood the board with my clips! :thumbsup:

Does it say in the sleeve notes that's Paul is on the lead for this release? I know there are four takes of the track, but David R was on three of them.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Does it say in the sleeve notes that's Paul is on the lead for this release? I know there are four takes of the track, but David R was on three of them.

Simon...I will have to check my CD at home...to my recollection it is Paul that is listed.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Not forgetting 'Check Yourself' on MIRACLE, which I think is a fab record.

Paul Williams is my pseudonym at work. :( Ruff # 1 for me, but PW close second. :thumbsup:

Found It!

Temptations Check Yourself .mp3 - -

11046 refosoul

Social source share

Guest stash313

Simply one of the greatest. Paul Williams was the temps during the early days he influenced the group on so much be it introducing choreography and dance routines where there wasn't any before, costume and fashion sense even vocal arrangement.

He truly is one of the un-sung heroes of Soul music and Motown. The Temps today are still heavily influenced by What Paul Williams gave them in the early days hopefully while the group is still going strong is influence will remain present.

Social source share

Found It!

Temptations Check Yourself .mp3 - -

Nice one. :thumbsup: Twenty five quid, The Driveller! :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Williams_(The_Temptations)

Temptations_CheckYourself_issue.jpg

CHECK YOURSELF

WRITERS DAVID ENGLISH

OTIS WILLIAMS

AL BRYANT

BERRY GORDY

Otis (& then Melvin - spoken)

By and by, you knew that you make me cry. (By and by, knew you'd make me cry)

And my love for you will never die. (My love will never, never die)

But I had to find out on my own.

(Check yourself, check yourself)

Paul:

Aww, that's what they told me. (Check yourself, check yourself)

I paid no mind. (Check yourself, check yourself)

I kept on breaking hearts, (Check yourself, check yourself)

All down the line. (Check yourself, check yourself)

Sometimes you just got to lose.

That's when you pay your dues.

I guess I was a fool, I guess I was a fool,

To think that... you'd stayed so true.

Aww, I really played in the game. (Check yourself, check yourself)

I'd always win. (Check yourself, check yourself)

Now the tables turn. (Check yourself, check yourself)

And I'm on the losing end. (Check yourself, check yourself)

Oh don't, feel sorry.

I had it coming, it's true.

'Cause I'm losing, yes, I'm losing, I'm losing you.

Before I go, I'd like for you to know.

You've had my heart from the very start.

But there's one more thing, before we part.

And that's I'm sorry, sorry, sorry to my heart.

Aww, I'm on my sad way. (Check yourself, check yourself)

Because I know I'd lost your love. (Check yourself, check yourself)

I'll kick it, like a pass. (Check yourself, check yourself)

But I'll be thinking of....

The good times. (The good times)

The bad times. (The bad times)

But good or bad, happy or sad,

Of memories. (Memories)

Sweet, sweet memories. (Memories)

Aww, memories... are all I have.

That's what they told me. (Check yourself, check yourself)

That's what they... what they told me. (Check yourself, check yourself)

Hmmm...

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Nice one. :thumbsup: Twenty five quid, The Driveller! :shades:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Williams_(The_Temptations)

Temptations_CheckYourself_issue.jpg

CHECK YOURSELF

WRITERS DAVID ENGLISH

OTIS WILLIAMS

AL BRYANT

BERRY GORDY

Otis (& then Melvin - spoken)

By and by, you knew that you make me cry. (By and by, knew you'd make me cry)

And my love for you will never die. (My love will never, never die)

But I had to find out on my own.

(Check yourself, check yourself)

Paul:

I paid no mind. (Check yourself, check yourself)

I kept on breaking hearts, (Check yourself, check yourself)

All down the line. (Check yourself, check yourself)

Sometimes you just got to lose.

That's when you pay your dues.

I guess I was a fool, I guess I was a fool,

To think that... you'd stayed so true.

Aww, I really played in the game. (Check yourself, check yourself)

I'd always win. (Check yourself, check yourself)

Now the tables turn. (Check yourself, check yourself)

And I'm on the losing end. (Check yourself, check yourself)

Oh don't, feel sorry.

I had it coming, it's true.

'Cause I'm losing, yes, I'm losing, I'm losing you.

Before I go, I'd like for you to know.

You've had my heart from the very start.

But there's one more thing, before we part.

And that's I'm sorry, sorry, sorry to my heart.

Aww, I'm on my sad way. (Check yourself, check yourself)

Because I know I'd lost your love. (Check yourself, check yourself)

I'll kick it, like a pass. (Check yourself, check yourself)

But I'll be thinking of....

The good times. (The good times)

The bad times. (The bad times)

But good or bad, happy or sad,

Of memories. (Memories)

Sweet, sweet memories. (Memories)

Aww, memories... are all I have.

That's what they told me. (Check yourself, check yourself)

That's what they... what they told me. (Check yourself, check yourself)

Hmmm...

Nice scan! :( Mind if I save a copy? Never saw the actual 45!

Edited by Lady Maverick
Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Be my guest. :thumbsup:

Though in fairness, that's not mine. It came from another site. My scanner didn't like mine, it came out like this ..

post-2216-1163016569_thumb.jpg

Oh wow! Looks like you have your settings on B&W and the bleed is too dark! :(

Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

" I want a love I can see" One of my fave early Temps tunes with PW on lead, What a voice and sadly missed. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Tone, so difficult to go against DR as the main Temps voice, but undoubtedly Paul William's contribution should not be underestimated and you know, you are probably right in believing that he is overshadowed in some ways .We have certainly have been blessed in being able to enjoy their timeless classics, whoevers on lead.

Social source share

" I want a love I can see" One of my fave early Temps tunes with PW on lead, What a voice and sadly missed.

Superb call. :thumbsup:

Tone, so difficult to go against DR as the main Temps voice, but undoubtedly Paul William's contribution should not be underestimated and you know, you are probably right in believing that he is overshadowed in some ways .We have certainly have been blessed in being able to enjoy their timeless classics, whoevers on lead.

You know I'm beginning to think Tone was on to something ...

Best yet?

Temps___Who_you_gonna_run_2.mp3

Anyone not seen this site?

https://www.geocities.com/hot_gyrl77/paul_leads.html

Social source share

TONE :thumbsup:

As far as I am concerned no one can touch the mighty Ruffin. HOWEVER Williams was also a fantastic singer, and his voice was stunning in it's own way. So whilst not fully agreeing with you, I know the point you are making, and agree with your sentiment that we should also recognise Williams for the pure talent that he was.

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!