when does a ''wanna be'' DJ become a DJ?

ajb

21 minutes ago, JulianB said:

Unfortunately quite a few of the above are DJing with bootlegs, so what chance do younger DJs with originals have to get bookings?:g:

Being under 30 seems to have worked for quite a few in recent years, not going to name the obvious name but a certain capitol venue has always seemed to want somebody to appeal to the younger market. Nothing wrong in that of course, but I have seen some resentment on FB from guys who been paying their dues for a little while longer.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

22 minutes ago, geeselad said:

Being under 30 seems to have worked for quite a few in recent years, not going to name the obvious name but a certain capitol venue has always seemed to want somebody to appeal to the younger market. Nothing wrong in that of course, but I have seen some resentment on FB from guys who been paying their dues for a little while longer.

We need younger folk to keep the scene going and if the younger DJs attract a younger crowd - fantastic.

I did an allnighter last year and it was great to see lots of under 25s appreciating the music and dancing the night away.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, P S original said:

Hope it dies , just sold a large chunk of my records for a lot of money  because its now a joke , tv adverts films its f.... is this scene , the answer to the question is when they buy real quality records but then again it used to be about the records now its about mates and names 

ns itself rose from the ashes of mod, wonder how many were saying mod is f...... In 67, when hippies hit.

Social source share

On 12/05/2017 at 09:50, ajb said:

all DJ's must have been ''wanna be's'' at some time, when do they cross the line to be called a DJ? :g:

I think that you become a proper DJ when you break new sounds to the punters they can dance to, using your own taste.

Trouble is most of the good new discoveries are really rare, and all the other good easier to obtain records have already been played!

If you can build up a reputation for doing a good spot using your own taste, and not just being a clone of a lot of other DJ's, you might have made it to being a proper DJ!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

7 minutes ago, chalky said:

I think the term came about because many today don't do the hard work many of us did.  Hours and hours spent scouring record boxes, lists, taken a punt on something blind.  Studying the labels, the credits the deadwax.  

Nowadays most seem to just buy a set, scour paylists and buy anything that seemd popular.  Imagination seems to be a no-no with most afraid to play anything different for fear of not getting a booking.

Some old school djs are like that too chalky :lol:or they just swing tits about :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Big up to all the crate diggers  whether or not their DJ's or just music lover's certainly made my world a better place 🎶🎶👏

Social source share

3 hours ago, P S original said:

Big problem these days is the public. ask any decent dj wannabe or not , you can find a great record play it and no bugger is interested yet one of the top boys play same record  and the public all jump up to it . Some even take credit for said  record.  Another point is there are many collectors/dj's that have every thing the top boys have but never get asked blame the promotors and the public, I have seen many young folks that are garbage on at big events simply because they are on face book day and night creeping round bigger dj's and promotors . While the decent reserved lads with great records are redundant, this scene is finished for me , they want to be dj's for the wrong reasons mainly to be a face on the northern scene , I apologise to those that don't fall in to this bracket I acknowledge one or two that do it the right way letting there records do the talking but sadly unless your on face book giving it me me me then your not going to last long and it's part reason I left it and only go to a select few venues now and again 

Bloody hell, how do I get on this 'facebook' thing?:g:Might get a few booking in the future!:D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Alan Walls said:

A quick rule of thumb guide - which I have just made up, off the top of my head - to identify a bona fide, time served Northern DJ as opposed to a wannabe:

• the real thing doesn't need to use avatars of himself pictured hunched over a set of decks on his social media pages 
  • he doesn't include the initials 'DJ' in his user name
  • he doesn't shoehorn-in references to him being a 'DJ' in all sorts of social media conversations, regardless of the subject
  • he doesn't use phrases like "never leaves my box" / "always a floor filler for me"
  • he doesn't stage his own soul nights, for which there is no discernible local demand, solely to give himself a gig

Brilliantly put Alan. A couple of other additions would be:-

has a large flight case with stickers on

cues up records using one headphone

keeps two spare adaptors in their pocket (or handbag in this age of gender equality)

pushes to the front of the queue saying I'm on the Guest List

is the worst dressed person in the venue

on the rare occasion they use the mic, never mumblemumblemumble

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 12/05/2017 at 09:50, ajb said:

all DJ's must have been ''wanna be's'' at some time, when do they cross the line to be called a DJ? :g:

There are two kinds of DJ.

1. Has a box of great records because they want to be a DJ.

2. Dj's because they have a box of great records!

The second is the only DJ I would want to hear!

Social source share

Just now, solidsoul said:

There is a fella on here who DJs regularly who plays records he doesn't like just because they fill the dance floor. Bizarre. Truly bloody bizarre. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 hour ago, solidsoul said:

lots of people have nice collections including rarities - my question was more about the motivation- ego, money, playing to mates, a laugh, exposure, no idea

what motivates that "wannabee"?

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
1 hour ago, shufflin said:

lots of people have nice collections including rarities - my question was more about the motivation- ego, money, playing to mates, a laugh, exposure, no idea

what motivates that "wannabee"?

Maybe, the music he loves he wants to share ,blame the promoter for putting him on or yourself for going to the function ,.lmo, that's why nowadays l would rather stay home and listen to the radio , go on the tinternet , or listen to my own collection what a sad state of affairs 🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

Quote:

but to be honest there is no credability anymore as bootlegs being played by named dj,s 

I must admit I had no idea this was happening.

The named djs who are doing this and are exposed for doing know that the very thing they want most :

'respect'

Will surely elude them. 

Ed

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 5/12/2017 at 09:50, ajb said:

When they've been heckled! 

........Bitter experience talking here :D

Len :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!