when does a ''wanna be'' DJ become a DJ?

ajb

I have read some of the comment about wanna bee d j's  and one think that has struck me is the ego boost some folk have about owning certain rare records they want YOU to know they have .  Someone may play Telma Laverne but would not be seen or even owning a Jimmy Robins  (both class records)  because J R is to cheap 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 19:35, markw said:

There is a fella on here who DJs regularly who plays records he doesn't like just because they fill the dance floor. Bizarre. Truly bloody bizarre. 

who is that  mark  does he contribute to soul source !?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 19:35, markw said:

There is a fella on here who DJs regularly who plays records he doesn't like just because they fill the dance floor. Bizarre. Truly bloody bizarre. 

Isnt that what youre supposed to do as a dj keep the dance floor full?

you play the stuff you like when you get home.

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

the DJ's I respect are the ones who turned me onto new sounds, records you've never heard before and think 'damn'

Social source share

When they STOP bloody looking on FB etc... at other people's play lists, go out and buy said records on play list at 3/4 X the price they actually SHOULD BE (pretend they've had them years, when they weren't even about on the scene!!) or pretend they bought it for £5.00 at a boot fair or something... INSTEAD actually spend hours scouring lists/ internet/ record boxes/ fairs... and try breaking some NEW or underplayed tunes (they are still out there if you bother to look!!) 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

A Proppa DJ,,MMMmmm..well i would say try an keep that floor rollin,listen to the punters,so what if we all aint got originals.but you no how to fill the floor,some times u have to play a copy or 2nd issue or wot eva..you pay your £2..you want £2.worth ov dancing,not sittin bored shit less..only say wot i see..collect,,been collecting all me life..still cant get em all..an i try..trust me.xxxxxx..enjoy the music guys..an dance.xx

Social source share

On 13/05/2017 at 20:38, markw said:

I am sure I will get stick and abuse for saying all this, but on the main Northern niter scene, from what I can see (playlists, gig reviews, comments etc) all these younger DJs who are getting 'big gig' bookings just play the same tired old bollocks the old boys play anyway. They are trapped in the same bullshit "keep the dance floor full" mindset vortex which dominates mainstream Northern Soul niters regardless of quality, imagination and diversity. They are terrified of getting abuse from the old boys and girls on the dancefloor for "playing fooking B-sides", "that fooking funky shit" or any other "fookin shite we don't know" or that "in't proper fookin Northern".

Here! Here!, at least someone talks sense, 👍

• Helpful 2
Social source share

And to do it correctly, have and play your own records and not borrow most of your set from someone with clout  who wants to promote you into a top DJ which you will never be. Just because someone wants "New Blood" on the scene doesn`t mean it has to be manufactured!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I think that DJ'ing, if you know what you doing, is purely mathematical, and based on the audience. Most boring audience need to know every record [thankfully never done that one], average every third record needs to be 'known', occasionally, and after thirty years of playing out for money, one in five. One in five. Special nights with special customers.

dean 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

And to do it correctly, have and play your own records and not borrow most of your set from someone with clout  who wants to promote you into a top DJ which you will never be. Just because someone wants "New Blood" on the scene doesn`t mean it has to be manufactured!

well said its not just youngsters that "Borrow" records to play venues  I can assure of that middle age djs do it to

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, tomangoes said:

I read something about some young guy (IL) with all the tunes loaning them to some old guy (LC) which made the old guy look fantastic? 

The Twisted Wheel, back in the day?

As the Trends sang..time changes things.

Ed

Or even The Metros,lol. 

Social source share

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 18:47, geeselad said:

don't think there's been any djs under 30 that have broken into the mainstream and have introduced new tunes that have been taken up at multiple venues. Now THAT is what the scene really needs!

ADAM Did that in the eighties  Shaun chapman  Ally mayer   Shaun gibbons all under thirty all contributed to the scene but so where the majority of people going .it can be done just have to be determined & get a good following  

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

I definitely remember DJ's asking us to bring records  along ,they would play them on condition if they knackered them it was not their fault - needless to say I never took any along

Metros is the best version imo

Social source share

Guest Gogs

Although i usually now only do "oldies" nights at my local Miners Club ( quite a few of my playlists are listed on SS), i have occasionally been asked to other ATB venues, The last time i had an early spot and a later spot, Starting the early spot (lasted 1 and a half hours, i was only meant to be on 30 mins) i announced that i was going to play modern, crossover and some that they might not know, one of the resident dj's said that i didn't have any of these. Boy did i prove him wrong. A DJ normally only plays what the promoter wants them to, but give them a chance and they might surprise you.

Social source share

4 hours ago, redditchcrew said:

ADAM Did that in the eighties  Shaun chapman  Ally mayer   Shaun gibbons all under thirty all contributed to the scene but so where the majority of people going .it can be done just have to be determined & get a good following  

I did mean since this revival thing started, say the last 5 years.

Social source share

11 hours ago, gogs said:

A DJ normally only plays what the promoter wants them to,

Not being argumentative here as this is something that has puzzled me for some time, I could be being a bit thick,slow or whatever but does this happen. Looking at it from a paying customers point of view I would rightly or wrongly assume a promoter books a Dj because he likes what they play having heard them somewhere else or by reputation, also because knowing his regular punters will like what said dj plays. Why then would he have to dictate what the dj plays, doesn't make sense to me or as I say am I missing something.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Gogs
4 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Not being argumentative here as this is something that has puzzled me for some time, I could be being a bit thick,slow or whatever but does this happen. Looking at it from a paying customers point of view I would rightly or wrongly assume a promoter books a Dj because he likes what they play having heard them somewhere else or by reputation, also because knowing his regular punters will like what said dj plays. Why then would he have to dictate what the dj plays, doesn't make sense to me or as I say am I missing something.

As i said, although i don't DJ very often i am probably better known for playing oldies, i don't have many rare or expensive records but i am a bit of a collector and tend to pick up a lot of stuff i like (when i have a bit of spare cash) this includes modern and crossover that i couldn't play at my usual oldies nites, but i rarely get asked to do anything other than oldies.

Social source share

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:56, P S original said:

Hope it dies , just sold a large chunk of my records for a lot of money  because its now a joke , tv adverts films its f.... is this scene , the answer to the question is when they buy real quality records but then again it used to be about the records now its about mates and names 

Quite agree with your. remarks. I am old school, no talc, no silly swirly skirts as it is now so much in your face that it is becoming a "pop" culture. When my wife, Janice and I go out we do so to "be at one" to dance to a particular record, not taking F%%king selfies.

I do resident at a monthly soul night and prefer to finish the night playing records that are ignored by some d.j's because they are cheapies, not in vogue at the moment or they have never heard of as they've only been into the music for 5 or 10 years not 45 years. It can be a struggle at times when you are playing these and someone comes up to and asks for The Exciters : Reaching for The Best to which you reply no don't have this one and he gets upset and says every decent northern Soul D.J. has this one.

As for youngsters on the scene, how many have been nurtured by their parents?

Enough said really could go on all night.

Edited by ik001
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Yoda now there is a great DJ. Always breaking new tunes, intermingled with forgotten oldies, and current biggies, yet never retreating into the death star of the 500 empire. His manipulation of the double light sabers alone merits his inclusion in the DJing hall of fame

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A Northern soul DJ in 2017 is a very different animal to the Northern Soul DJ of 40 years ago given the huge change in the demographic of those attending your average 'Northern Soul & Motown Night', ie a bunch of young Kids eager to learn and experience new music as opposed to a bunch of Pensioners looking to get pissed and pull.

These days many DJ's are little more than Jukeboxes, ie they only hold a few of the popular tunes and you put in a request and out pops Ruby Andrews and Dobie Gray.

Quite literally M8.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, ik001 said:

Quite agree with your. remarks. I am old school, no talc, no silly swirly skirts as it is now so much in your face that it is becoming a "pop" culture. When my wife, Janice and I go out we do so to "be at one" to dance to a particular record, not taking F%%king selfies.

I do resident at a monthly soul night and prefer to finish the night playing records that are ignored by some d.j's because they are cheapies, not in vogue at the moment or they have never heard of as they've only been into the music for 5 or 10 years not 45 years. It can be a struggle at times when you are playing these and someone comes up to and asks for The Exciters : Reaching for The Best to which you reply no don't have this one and he gets upset and says every decent northern Soul D.J. has this one.

As for youngsters on the scene, how many have been nurtured by their parents?

Enough said really could go on all night.

Well said........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, geordiejohnson said:

I agree Nev, and of late i see people getting dj spots that.. lets face it they are soul lovers but not collectors or even djs who haveve started to buy a bit of vinyl, playing mediocre tunes, they self promote themselves on Fbook continually wanting attention posting their playlist, bumming up to promoters (when the next event is looming) ... and then blow me.  people blow smoke up their arses saying or posting how great siad persons mundane sets were (the same folk actually prior too were saying.."nowt special" common tunes. boring etc).

Ive Djayed in clubs since the 80's, can use a mike, have promoted venues, and actually could care less if i DJ or not, but asked i will and play from the heart, and never ask to dj never bumm anyone and only post my plays if asked,

Recently i was told about someone (just an average punter who has djayed sometimes ) but nothing to pull any trees up not a collector but has small selection of tunes,  who was most upset that they weren't given a particular spot in a particular room at an event and let anyone who would listen know the fact, and sulked for quite a while over it..... that makes me puke.

I probably dont wave my arms around enough  or act like a sycophant to any promoter out there, to be asked... probably why i only go to one or two select venues now... the rest bore me, that's the sad thing... and 9 times out of 10 i hear better music in my conservatory than i do out.

Humph im grumpy today

Geeeooooordie

Spot on comments there. Would give you a reputation but can't find the button/link?

Best,

Ian

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, R Soul said:

Sorry Nev but the mic thing is so 70s and most people who use it either mumble or tell their life story instead of playing the records, personally the mic thing does not make a good DJ but I do agree that there are a few that use it very well and it works for them

No it isn`t. It`s very important equipment which we use to bring the crowd together, keep them informed and to some extent educated where the 45 originates from, ie: Detroit, Chicago, Philly and as to why we sometimes link a few tracks together in a certain way. A lot of people also like to listen and not dance and the DJ plays his part with that.

No mic, half a job! :hatsoff2:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

No it isn`t. It`s very important equipment which we use to bring the crowd together, keep them informed and to some extent educated where the 45 originates from, ie: Detroit, Chicago, Philly and as to why we sometimes link a few tracks together in a certain way. A lot of people also like to listen and not dance and the DJ plays his part with that.

Most in a mumble :lol:

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Steve Lane said:

Agreed.  It's good to hear what the DJ has to say (most of the time), whether it's announcing the record, acknowledging the previous DJ's efforts, or calling out the raffle.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, ged parker said:

If you play records in to a paying audience you're a DJ.  Whether you're the right DJ for the audience, or even a competent DJ at all, is a different question.

If wanted or had a venue Ged you would be up there of people to ask to become a resident, you got the tunes, know how to play them and communicate well.

Social source share

3 hours ago, R Soul said:

Sorry Nev but the mic thing is so 70s and most people who use it either mumble or tell their life story instead of playing the records, personally the mic thing does not make a good DJ but I do agree that there are a few that use it very well and it works for them

Ironically, I'd have agreed with you but it was the 70's when you couldn't make out a word but everyone used the mic lol 

I'm not disrespecting people who don't use a mic Dave , which is why I probably prefer small clubs that play the right music and don't insist on the mic but even in those places , a guy / gal who knows the art of the mic can turn up the atmosphere / arouse the crowd.

I for one totally  respect someone who can add some background history to a particular artist or record and do it without mumbling or talking mumbo jumbo . 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, geordiejohnson said:

I agree Nev, and of late i see people getting dj spots that.. lets face it they are soul lovers but not collectors or even djs who haveve started to buy a bit of vinyl, playing mediocre tunes, they self promote themselves on Fbook continually wanting attention posting their playlist, bumming up to promoters (when the next event is looming) ... and then blow me.  people blow smoke up their arses saying or posting how great said persons mundane sets were (the same folk actually prior too were saying.."nowt special" common tunes. boring etc).

Ive Djayed in clubs since the 80's, can use a mike, have promoted venues, and actually could care less if i DJ or not, but asked i will and play from the heart, and never ask to dj never bumm anyone and only post my plays if asked,

Recently i was told about someone (just an average punter who has djayed sometimes ) but nothing to pull any trees up not a collector but has small selection of tunes,  who was most upset that they weren't given a particular spot in a particular room at an event and let anyone who would listen know the fact, and sulked for quite a while over it..... that makes me puke.

I probably dont wave my arms around enough  or act like a sycophant to any promoter out there, to be asked... probably why i only go to one or two select venues now... the rest bore me, that's the sad thing... and 9 times out of 10 i hear better music in my conservatory than i do out.

Humph im grumpy today

Geeeooooordie

Nice bit of self-promotion there ... expect to see a 'do' in your conservatory listed very soon ... :thumbsup:

Humph I'm cantankerous today  ... :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, geordiejohnson said:

I agree Nev, and of late i see people getting dj spots that.. lets face it they are soul lovers but not collectors or even djs who haveve started to buy a bit of vinyl, playing mediocre tunes, they self promote themselves on Fbook continually wanting attention posting their playlist...

Does an upset DJ chuck their records out of the box if they they've not got a pram to throw their toys out of? And where do upset Wannabe DJ's go for counselling if there's no cloakroom at the venue?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!