Is there an appetite for something different?

ajb

is there an apitite for something different?   

1. 1. would ya?

• same old, same old
    • something old, someone new

Firstly thank you all those who shared an opinion on "wanna be DJ's". :thumbsup:

the early part  threw up some interesting points regarding playing up to the public, and to some extent your the guys who pay your hard earned to have a good time so you will dictate things.

But, would you entertain something new, someone new, something different, different styles? :g:

Supporting up and coming DJ's, giving them a chance to carve their own style. :yes:

would promoters be prepared to maybe have an extra room to run alongside their event? :g:

and maybe this all goes on already? :g:

May i say at this stage i do not DJ, and I do not Promote any events, this is just me putting it out there :yes:

Edited by ajb
Social source share

We'll see by the result of course - But I've always thought to just serve up (as you put it) the same old same old, is patronizing to the punters. My view is that most people who enjoy SOUL music would welcome something new (and someone new if they were ok at DJing) As long as it's 'served up' properly, as in, not boring people to death by only playing tunes that the majority there are unfamiliar with.

A good record is a good record! So 'something old something new' gets my vote every time - They compliment each other!

(Although you have put 'something old someone new' in your title)

Len :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

1 minute ago, LEN said:

(Although you have put 'something old someone new' in your title)

the someone new was really the point i was making Len :thumbsup:

someone new being given the opportunity to show what they've got to offer, in an environment for just that.

a sink or swim situation, x factor for future DJ's if you like.

the best will make it, the rest, well thats up to them.

Social source share

16 minutes ago, ajb said:

someone new being given the opportunity to show what they've got to offer, in an environment for just that.

Lenny speed reading again eh!

For what it's worth there are 2 events I know of trying to mix it up with a second room playing something different and the odd someone new - in fact some established DJs who want to try out their "different stuff" which may not be as well received by the Big Room punters (so split personalities if you like :rofl:), testimony to how hard it is behind the decks nowadays I guess.

Looks like you've found a new talent for pushing peoples buttons :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

51 minutes ago, ajb said:

Oh sorry - I read ' Something old someone new' as being a new DJ just playing tunes that are already being played :huh:

Ok, yeh definitely someone new if they have their own 'take' on things gets my vote, even if their inexperience makes them 'wobble' every so often, it would still make the night interesting - Good luck to the poor soul this may relate to! :wink:

Hope I haven't confused your thread!

Len :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

I'm one of those that is on Bandcamp and looks for new soul vinyl,  usually get more than a few a month. Not surprised to see some of them getting played at events and I'd love to go to an event which mixed the new with the old - we need a new Mecca/Cleethorpes!

Social source share

Loving the sentiment geeslad you each one of those events mentioned deliver quality  .I want to hear new records ,records that are new to me .The people who run those events and the  D j s  you mentioned spend the time looking ,digging ,trying to find that elusive sound and massive respect to those guys x  .That is  the very soul of the scene, our very roots its supposed to be hard to find  .Country girl is a great record but i heard it when i was 16 !  Still best move on eh  

Great thread 

Martin L 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why do we need to label everything?  If its good and fits in to a set who cares when it was recorded and or discovered.  And as for the age of a DJ, why is that even an issue, they're only putting records on, I let my 5 year old granddaughter do it, its easy honest.

Social source share

New to dj,ing  have only done three spots, but have played these three

washington smith , fat cat

little johnny blair,  mommas gone

marion black , more love (is all we need )

not sure if they are new to all but are to me .

Social source share

There's plenty of 'something different' out there if folk are prepared to put aside preconceptions, especially the ones about Northern Soul, whatever that actually means. Something for everyone out there if you're prepared to make the effort. Just check Facebook events or even some of the events on here.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

thank you to all those who have took the time to enter the poll :thumbsup:

i know it won't represent the true state of affairs, but its fair to say people want something different, and a big slap on the back to those who have already aknowledged, and contributed to the fact.

someone wrote i was unqualifed to ask the question, and their probably right :yes:

but forty odd years ago, to me thats what it was, different.

my weekends spent at Clifton Hall, and Top of the World, maybe qualify me in some small way to ask the question, maybe?, who cares.

The point I wanted to make was nothing more than, if we want new, younger people to the scene, it needs to be exiting again, like it was, thats all. :wink:

thanks again

alan 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

take this new release as an example of great, new, dancer friendly music, it's Daptone and unashamedly four to the floor - isn't this great? I'd dance to this

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!