40 years ago! Jr Walker St Ives

Kev Holmes post on FB got me looking for a tape (it's a music thingy!) came across these , 40 years to the day!! As I recall: Bus from Rainworth to Nottingham (B8) ; Nottingham to Perterborough (Barton's); Peterborough to Huntingdon; Huntingdon to St Ives Cambridgeshire. Danced the night away with Jr Walker and All Stars live on stage about 3am, out into daylight at 8am, no buses back on Sunday. Just a thumb for transport. Kids I travelled with paid the price for misspent youth and several shuffled off. 
To add to the importance , I think it was on the bus from Peterborough to Huntingdon that we heard of Nottingham Forest promotion to league 1 after finishing 3rd in second division where we'd been since '72. 
What a time to be young

not played the tape, track listing on card insert has:

Herbert Hunter - Born to love you

Willie Hutch - Love runs out

Milton Wright - I belong to you

Marvin Gaye - Little Darling

Susan Coleman - Age of the Wolf

Yums Yums - Big thing

Eddie Holman - Night to remember

Leslie Uganda - Don't You Even Care

Johnny Caswell - You don't love me anymore

Yvonne Vernee - Just like you did me

Lenny Curtis - Nothing can help you now. IMG_2339.thumb.JPG.1216d4e022049699a0674f02f8abed5e.JPG

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Dean - was there up on the balcony near the top on the circular stairs - he came on from the right hand side of the stage and slid with the sax 🎷- was on the Aldershot coach- where the driver use to dance some of the night away - yes really -  good times great gear. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Lucky one said:

Am I right in recalling that Junior Walker performed at Wigan around the same time May 1977. I went to that allnighter brilliant performance best I ever witnessed.

I must play these through and look at getting them converted if quality is any good. I've got a tape of Jr Walker at Wigan, I'll check to see if it has a date on it. If you remember a skinny, scruffy, lanky kid run across the stage at Wigan to get a record sleeve signed that would be me. I've still got the sleeve with a SOUL promo of Roadrunner tucked in it. Can remember Jr looking at the disc and saying "Where the f*** did you get this boy?"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!