Gladys Knight at the Fiesta Club in Stockton

Guest woolie mark

Guest woolie mark

This made me chuckle, a beermat for sale on ebay advertising Gladys Knight playing in Stockton in 1973.  It seems that she must have been booked for a week.  Wouldn't that be great, to be able to go and see her show every night for a whole week?

gladys knight beermat.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Are you local to Norton/Stockton Mark?    I live near the old club now - its now a christian Meeting place.  Always had all the visiting US soul acts for a weeks residency along with its sister club in Sheffield. Saw the Four Tops and Three Degrees there among others.  I didn't go but they had Dionne Warwick there for a one night - I knew the promotions manager at the the time and I believe it cost £19k to put her on!  I guess these days she would play the like of the Albert Hall.     Roy Orbison recorded a live album there in the early 80's. 

Social source share

Quite a few years back I was a budding food sales rep.and was out canvassing for business, in the ferrybridge are of west Yorkshire I was on my way home and had to call in to see a customer who ran a restaurant.When I walked through the door on the wall was a massive signed poster of Gladys Knight and the Pips, to which i said to my customer "I didn't know you were into soul " , his reply was i'm not but last night as I was closing a massive bus pulled into the car park. Out came this lady and said to me hI aam Glaadys (American accent) Knight and these are the Pips could you rustle up a bite to eat for us all. He cooked them a meal and had a wonderful  conversation with them all.As they were going Gladys came back from the bus and gave my customer a signed poster.    Regards Fred.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!