Slipped Discs

I'm looking for your solutions to records that slip when played. I have a few, mostly from overseas, but some more recent UK 7" pressings. They are all flimsy and lightweight, which doesn't help.
I know the reason they slip, it is because unlike the 60's UK pressings which had a series of grips around the label, they just have nothing to grab the slip mat.
About 35 years ago I made myself a solid brass middle on the lathe at work and used to put this on top and it sometimes worked, but sadly that has disappeared (probably been weighed in for scrap in these hard times, it was blooming heavy )
I thought of putting something in the run out groove area of the flip side, but what? It can't be anything too sticky obviously.
C'mon People, let me have your genius ideas !

Social source share

Deck spinning normally. As you bring the stylus down onto the run in groove on the vinyl, the turntable continues to turn but the record remains still, sliding on the slip mat as though there was some lubricant between the record and the mat.
does that explain?

Social source share

you could try reducing the stylus weight as it could be putting too much force on the disc and effectively holding it back. I would check all the tone arm settings. I have seen blu-tack applied to the slip mat but i think this is just covering up the real issue - decks not set up properly.

Social source share

Reasons are/can be 3 mainly...

1. The first wrong things we selector DJ's do (not necessarily willingly or rationally) is the use of slip mats. We are selectors and not scratchers or mixers so the use of a slip mat (especially) on a direct drive with quick start/stop is a non-sense but we are most of the time dropping in with our records and do with the phono set-up there...

Solutions are a good soft non-slip mat (or multiple material layers) and or a 45 adaptor doubled-up with clamp/weight. Buy and take your owns with your records when you DJ out.

2. Tonearm settings are all wrong on VTA, counterweight and anti-skating adjustments maybe with a damage stylus after some "bad" wear.

Solutions, change for anew stylus and proper tonearm settings. Buy your own conical or elliptical stylus and cartridges and DJ out only with those and get to know how to set up properly a tonearm.

3. Both factors at the same time and worn-out turntables making properly adjustments unattainable.

Solution; if you were attending a venue as a DJ spot, grab your bag and get on out and require to DJ your records on a relevant phono set-up. If you're home, avoid those DJ geek stuffs and buy properly adjustable phono stuffs made for proper 45's playtime. 

Mind you if the turntable's tonearm is wacky and readjustments are barely possible then the cause is hopeless. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I had this happen once at home. Only a cheapo European issue. I was more concerned that the deck was knackered!

I only use about 1.5g tracking weight. I think what happened to me was that the record was a bit tight on the center adaptor and wasn't sitting flat on the mat properly.

Not happened since as I make sure the records are flat.

Cheers

KB

Social source share

we had a problem with this at our venue I turned to centres out at work made of aluminium that seem to solve the problem for British issued records but changing the mats does help slightly thicker than the 1980s styled one that was really thin I opted for stantons  that cured the problem

Social source share

Thanks for the various ideas. Please keep them coming.
The deck is set up correctly, I can assure you, although the slip mat is a fibre material and maybe a rubber mat might cure it ? ( I've not seen a rubber mat for sale anywhere, anybody got an old one they don't want?) This is a problem with maybe 5-8 records out of maybe ten thousand in my collection. What they all have in common is that they are all extremely light in comparison to a standard 45, and flimsy. In addition I suspect that the groove of the flip side track is shallow so doesn't aid with friction. Those from the 90's & 2K onwards were mostly made at a time when 7 inch records weren't produced in any great quantity, and I think that is part of the problem. They all have those painted on type labels and are shiny and slippy to the touch.
I have one south american 7" 33rpm that slips terribly, but it's the only way to have this track on a 7", again no anti slip ridge type moulding, but its such a fab tune I don't want to discard it. I also have a new zealand 45 , again no anti slip moulding, actually its completely flat, viewed from the edge, the label height is level with the groove height.
I can play them by applying pressure downwards on the label with my finger and following the rotations :wink: but I can't keep up on my crutches :lol:

Social source share

This isnt something ive ever encountered but if you are sure its not a problem with set up you could solve the problem by increasing the grip on the spindle.  A thin, very carefully applied application of nail varnish or similar to the inner circle of a uk (small centre) 45 would do the trick. Id try it first on something low value first though.

Social source share

May have already been covered but here's my input...

Ive had records that have slipped which are usually British 7" such as the new Kent blue singles and are down to the slipmat I am using and possibly the static of the new record. I had some custom slip mats made and I found more so when they were new certain records would slip such as the Kent ones but over time this has improved. I imagine something like a cork slipmat would be better and I'm sure I read they're supposed to be an all round better type mat. What has really helped is placing the aluminium centres on top of the record although on some records it emphasises slight warps but nothing major.

Good Luck

Social source share

5 hours ago, Raym said:

I always place a 7" paper inner sleeve on the mat first then put the record on the paper sleeve to stop it slipping (it works with British 7" records)

I have a habit of reading the thread after I've posted! Doh!!!

I have also tried and succeeded with this method! Saw some pics and videos and thought it was for looks (as looked quite cool with the original sleeve under the record) but realised it's proper use lol

Social source share

On 16/05/2017 at 01:23, purist said:

I'm looking for your solutions to records that slip when played. I have a few, mostly from overseas, but some more recent UK 7" pressings. They are all flimsy and lightweight, which doesn't help.
I know the reason they slip, it is because unlike the 60's UK pressings which had a series of grips around the label, they just have nothing to grab the slip mat.
About 35 years ago I made myself a solid brass middle on the lathe at work and used to put this on top and it sometimes worked, but sadly that has disappeared (probably been weighed in for scrap in these hard times, it was blooming heavy )
I thought of putting something in the run out groove area of the flip side, but what? It can't be anything too sticky obviously.
C'mon People, let me have your genius ideas !

You need a pair of good quality rubber gloves mate, if your a bit of a purist I'd suggest a named brand, go for a pair of marigolds,., 

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!