WHAT IS THE CURRENT TREND IN COLLECTING RARE SOUL?

:hatsoff2:HI ALL.....As a OLD SCHOOL collector of RARE SOUL, and I emphasise COLLECOR as although I have in the past sold many records, they have all been doubles of records in my collection, any one who knows me and  sells records at venues that I attend, will be aware that I like to leave with at least 20 45s, many of them unknown to myself, I tend to buy on the dealers recommendation, this may not be the way you buy, but in the days before Ebay & Record Collector, if you wanted the top sounds, or you wanted to find the latest discovery, it was you personal knowledge, the company you kept & a lot of hard work, we also had our special places to find record.

Now what I was hoping to find out by doing this thread is "what the current trend in collecting Soul".  As a collector I have always gone for RARE UK 45's then for classic all nighter 45's. However over the last 10 years, finding the records I really want has become a challenge, I mean I cant remember the last time I saw a CAMEO PARKWAY DEMO or a RED & WHITE Tamla Motown 45 for sale, or even a CRAZY HORSE David & the Giants 10 miles high original for sale, can you?

So what is the current trend for collectors of SOUL, by looking at the 45s in the Soul Source Record Club it would seem that SOUL from the 7t's is the most popular, as for the records on Facebook I find that I have either got a copy, it's priced to high or I just don't want it.  So it's over to you to state what's IN or what's out when it comes to collecting, to end with I have always been aware that what get's played at venues is not what a collector of soul would pick if given the chance? It's the collecting point of view I am after not the DJ.:wink:KTF DAVE K

Social source share

5 minutes ago, dthedrug said:

:hatsoff2:HI ALL.....As a OLD SCHOOL collector of RARE SOUL, and I emphasise COLLECOR as although I have in the past sold many records, they have all been doubles of records in my collection, any one who knows me and  sells records at venues that I attend, will be aware that I like to leave with at least 20 45s, many of them unknown to myself, I tend to buy on the dealers recommendation, this may not be the way you buy, but in the days before Ebay & Record Collector, if you wanted the top sounds, or you wanted to find the latest discovery, it was you personal knowledge, the company you kept & a lot of hard work, we also had our special places to find record.

Now what I was hoping to find out by doing this thread is "what the current trend in collecting Soul".  As a collector I have always gone for RARE UK 45's then for classic all nighter 45's. However over the last 10 years, finding the records I really want has become a challenge, I mean I cant remember the last time I saw a CAMEO PARKWAY DEMO or a RED & WHITE Tamla Motown 45 for sale, or even a CRAZY HORSE David & the Giants 10 miles high original for sale, can you?

So what is the current trend for collectors of SOUL, by looking at the 45s in the Soul Source Record Club it would seem that SOUL from the 7t's is the most popular, as for the records on Facebook I find that I have either got a copy, it's priced to high or I just don't want it.  So it's over to you to state what's IN or what's out when it comes to collecting, to end with I have always been aware that what get's played at venues is not what a collector of soul would pick if given the chance? It's the collecting point of view I am after not the DJ.:wink:KTF DAVE K

Hi Dave

I buy randomly - mainly 70's and crossover but I do buy 60's things that I like and that have some nostalgic value to me. I also like really down tempo stuff and deep. For example, I have recently bought a copy of Rules by Gil Blanding. My main criteria is that it has to be really soulful, and I dont like or buy 100 mile an hour stuff. I only started collecting again a few years ago after selling up - and my record price limit keeps going up! 

You will have a good flavour of the things I like/buy as I am regular contributor to your great Record of the Day thread. In fact that is one of the main sources for me picking up new things. I have also now got my first ever wants list which I add to from podcasts etc.

I hope you are well Sir.

Pete

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2:HI Pete.. Your remarks are what I was looking for, as I'm hopeless with new technology! it would of been good to have a tick box of all the different types of soul that we collect in 2017, maybe someone can do that as I can't,

As for buying a copy of "rules" - Gil Blanding - Ready, this is a superb 45 & brings back memories of the mid 8t's when I got 10 copies at £4 each and sold them at £8 each, today I have not got a copy in my collection, I reckon we have all got stories like that? KEEP THE FAITH .Pete & thanx  Dave K.

Social source share

1 minute ago, dthedrug said:

:hatsoff2:HI Pete.. Your remarks are what I was looking for, as I'm hopeless with new technology! it would of been good to have a tick box of all the different types of soul that we collect in 2017, maybe someone can do that as I can't,

As for buying a copy of "rules" - Gil Blanding - Ready, this is a superb 45 & brings back memories of the mid 8t's when I got 10 copies at £4 each and sold them at £8 each, today I have not got a copy in my collection, I reckon we have all got stories like that? KEEP THE FAITH .Pete & thanx  Dave K.

Yes, Gil Blanding a super soul record isn't it. Always reminds me of Nev Wherry and Soul Sam. I paid a little more than £4 for mine!

Pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

I think my collecting falls into a few categories really. The first category would be trying to build my Northern collection, mostly through the 1965-1974 years. These would be well known records and mostly tracks that still get plays/are recommended to me.  I pay attention to what I hear at events & DJ play lists, and on here ofc.

The second category would be 'new sounds to me' that i just like, these would be crossover to pre-disco stuff. I don;'t care if these are seen as rare soul or whatever.

The third category is new material, I love getting new import records (these would often be limited run 45's from the US/EU). 

I'm at a tipping point now as I've started buying some expensive ones, not many though, so I can see a time soon where I get into the rarer stuff. Mmmm. Then I'll be skint.

Social source share

it seems that maybe the Funk fad has now lost its steam... lots of great tracks have been turned up and are now accepted outside of the funk collectoes circles... 

whete else to go then?  All the genres have been done as far as I can see...

Social source share

still trying to complete my marvin gaye singles i.e. us demo,us issue, uk demo & uk issue of every release (in ex+ or M-) = now seem to have hit a brick wall when it comes to the gaps, mind you i am a bit hit and miss when it comes to time spent trying to track them down.  

Aside from MG i try and buy any of the records i have always wanted plus any i come across that i like whether they are cheap or expensive - but i will only go for ones i like - i dont buy rare records i think are not great to listen to.

Youtubing a record i like is a great way to hear 'similar' records that i dont know with the suggestions it comes up with. Trawling soul source, dealers sites (some are great for listening to clips..).  

Social source share

A trend I would suggest is the upsurge in interest in the sweeter side of soul, certainly here in the UK, over the last few years.  Sweet soul records have in the main become more "in demand", hence increased in value, plus there has been an increase in the amount of events playing these sweet / deep sounds.

Whilst the interest has always been apparent I feel a marked increase has taken place over the last few years.

Edited by tiberius
typo
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
11 hours ago, Mal C said:

it seems that maybe the Funk fad has now lost its steam... lots of great tracks have been turned up and are now accepted outside of the funk collectoes circles... 

gospel dancers? got my eye on a few

Social source share

14 hours ago, Mal C said:

Not that it is of relevance to me here in the US, but I would say that more garage type records (Aquamen, Strangeloves) that are not soul records at all will be brought into the DJ scenes in the UK and Europe. Get ready for more guitars.....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest randy

The main change in Soul record collecting must be the collecting of newly recorded vinyl releases which I think started around 2005 when Nicole Willis released "If This Ain't Love" on Timmion plus the emergence of Sharon Jones etc on Daptone and all the other new labels and artists that followed. Before that vinyl was dying a slow death just look at the depth of releases to go at now? its hard just to keep up. 

Also previously mentioned sweet soul and the more mid tempo records have become more popular  

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
23 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Have to say that this scraping of the 'happy-clappy' , 'god bothering' barrel leaves me stone cold ...  :sleep3:

Yes there are some half decent 'funky beats' going on in some of them but that's all that I find appealing ... :thumbsup:

according to my itunes play list "If you believe your god is dead (try mine)" by the Swan Silvertones was number 12 on my most played tracks over the last year ;-)

not even religious

Social source share

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 15:52, dthedrug said:

As a small-time collector and not one of those who buys records just because they are in vogue at the moment I could just say that looking out for the odd ball and rarities is very much easier these days especially with the knowledge sharing internet. It isn't like the old days where you just bought blind. I must say as a retired gentleman with time on hands, first chore of the morning whilst eating my toast and marmalade is trawling through the sales sites be it ebay, soul source or whatever.

My preferences are for the off-the-wall records mainly 60's or earlier, R & B, beat ballads, popcorn and tend to stay away from anything later ( I do think even the pop scence took a spiral down swing after 1968?). I also used to listen to Richard Searling's Sunday radio show every week (even used to tape them) and the guests he got on broadened my very small knowledge of what was to be heard. From these I would say that the ones I found most interesting were Ady Croasdale, Andy Rix, Nancy  Yahiro, Roger Banks, (dare I say it) Ian Levine and others.

Today's fountain of knowledge has got to be Pete Smith, with his very enjoyable and interesting podcasts. Again some of the ones he plays, I make note of and source.

I do remember once watching a Northern t.v programme where a serious collector did say that the enjoyment was in sourcing/tracking down a rare record more so than it landing in his hand.

It could have been yourself maybe? LOL

Ian 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, George G said:

Not that it is of relevance to me here in the US, but I would say that more garage type records (Aquamen, Strangeloves) that are not soul records at all will be brought into the DJ scenes in the UK and Europe. Get ready for more guitars.....

Venues that play no soul titles like the Strangeloves is good enough reason to stay well clear.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 hour ago, ik001 said:

As a small-time collector and not one of those who buys records just because they are in vogue at the moment I could just say that looking out for the odd ball and rarities is very much easier these days especially with the knowledge sharing internet. It isn't like the old days where you just bought blind. I must say as a retired gentleman with time on hands, first chore of the morning whilst eating my toast and marmalade is trawling through the sales sites be it ebay, soul source or whatever.

My preferences are for the off-the-wall records mainly 60's or earlier, R & B, beat ballads, popcorn and tend to stay away from anything later ( I do think even the pop scence took a spiral down swing after 1968?). I also used to listen to Richard Searling's Sunday radio show every week (even used to tape them) and the guests he got on broadened my very small knowledge of what was to be heard. From these I would say that the ones I found most interesting were Ady Croasdale, Andy Rix, Nancy  Yahiro, Roger Banks, (dare I say it) Ian Levine and others.

Today's fountain of knowledge has got to be Pete Smith, with his very enjoyable and interesting podcasts. Again some of the ones he plays, I make note of and source.

I do remember once watching a Northern t.v programme where a serious collector did say that the enjoyment was in sourcing/tracking down a rare record more so than it landing in his hand.

It could have been yourself maybe? LOL

Ian 

I also used to listen to Richard Searling's Sunday radio show every week (even used to tape them) and the guests he got on broadened my very small knowledge of what was to be heard. From these I would say that the ones I found most interesting were Ady Croasdale, Andy Rix, Nancy  Yahiro, Roger Banks, (dare I say it) Ian Levine and others.

I'm a generation too young to be arsed about the politics on the scene tbh, not interested in it one bit, but I do remember those Jazz FM  Sunday afternoon programs, the Nancy  Yahiro & Ian Levine ones were the standouts for me, from memory I think Ian Levine stood in for Richard S one weekend?

Social source share

I've been buying Psych and garage records over the last year. I still buy classic Northern lots of modern and crossover, very occasional R&B record, just the ones I like and stand out from that genre,  very occasional funk 45, but there are so many aspects to that side of the tracks, different type of sounds...I like the deep flips you get on Funk 45s allot. 

One type of sound I've really found to be disappointing is the tracks that have come out of the gospel side of things, I know there are allot of folk on here that really dig that, but 95% of that  stuff just didn't hit the spot for me, but there are one or two..,

I was explaining to somebody I work with why I don't really ever need to go out of certain decades for my musical hit, and I realised you just can't expect normal music fans to just get it, if you know what I mean... it's a personal journey, taken with the record labels you love as they grow and discover and at the places you go to listen...

Fads come and go, but the really good tracks stay no matter... and in time you get enough of those to really have acces to a great body of music, so special to you and others.... it's a fabulous thing and something I can never expect some younger music fan to get in an instant...

forcthe most part here in the uk, you start with Northern soul, the real youth club stuff, and go from there....

looking back would any of us have it any other way, no fear, great music that stays with ya..... but then we all know that:-)

Mal

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Have to say that this scraping of the 'happy-clappy' , 'god bothering' barrel leaves me stone cold ...  :sleep3:

Yes there are some half decent 'funky beats' going on in some of them but that's all that I find appealing ... :thumbsup:

i do have to ignore the sentiments behind the songs, inventing my own 'inappropriate' vocals.

Social source share

1 hour ago, bbrich said:

i do have to ignore the sentiments behind the songs, inventing my own 'inappropriate' vocals.

Might be the fact that I'm science-based rather than a blind faith type , but I can't be doing with any of that claptrap in my world , and certainly not in my fun-time ... :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, bbrich said:

5 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Might be the fact that I'm science-based rather than a blind faith type , but I can't be doing with any of that claptrap in my world , and certainly not in my fun-time ... :hatsoff2:

Lord, what's happening to your people?

Social source share

I buy things I like--simple as that. I was happy as hell to finally land a Tymes on Winchester and a Lou Courtney "If the Shoe Fits", both not major rarities, I know, but both great records that seemed to elude me.

Other than that...well, hell, if I see something interesting fairly cheap, I'll grab it, no matter what. I've no problem playing garage, Latin, girl groups, when I spin. Whatever works!!

Best,

Mark

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!