Bobby Womack how could you break With & Without rap

I have the UK (EDIT.) issue measured at 4:18 with rap intro (not saying that on the label) and would like a USA release with the same Edit. rap intro.

How does one tell the difference between the variations of all the USA Arista STOCKER releases. I understand that all the stockers feature only the shorter edit at 3:41 without the rap intro. Am I right here ?

It seems that only the Canadian issue would be the same as the UK (Edit.) release.

The USA Arista PROMO copy do feature on one side the rap intro edit. Is that the only way to get that on a USA 7" with the rap intro ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If I recall correctly the UK issue of this didn't come out until 1987. The USA copies from 1979 only feature the rap intro on the reverse of the white demo copy. The Canadian 45 issue from 1979 apparently features the rap intro but I've never seen one in the flesh.

Bear in mind that the album version (and UK 12") is a full minute longer at over five minutes. I think the edited versions always leave one wanting more.

Speaking of Womack 12" singles it's worth pointing out that the US 12" of Trust Your Heart is a completely different cut to either the "Pieces" album or the US 7" and features more Womack vocals, more David Ruffin vocals and a scintillating guitar solo. Pricey but well worth seeking out as it's a great surprise if you're only familiar with the other formats.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This is taking the quest to another direction... anyway, true; I love Bobby Womack' 'trust your heart' but only have it on a 7". And I do have some 12" of which I got rid of the 7" (better mix and mastering) or the other way around when I kept the 7" and got rid off the 12"... 'trust your heart' on 12" seems to be promo only though ! Just listened to it on YT and it's another take ! I like it less honestly. It's rawer as in less juicy and laid-backer. Prefer the 7" recording. Thanks for the tip Gareth. In music I live to learn and love it.

Social source share

1 hour ago, garethx said:

Speaking of Womack 12" singles it's worth pointing out that the US 12" of Trust Your Heart is a completely different cut to either the "Pieces" album or the US 7" and features more Womack vocals, more David Ruffin vocals and a scintillating guitar solo. Pricey but well worth seeking out as it's a great surprise if you're only familiar with the other formats.

It was released as part of the Columbia Disco Series and I think all of those releases were individual special edits.

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!