Diane Jenkins - I need you

Great record, how often does this come up I saw one sold on discogs for around 150 pounds in 2014 and the promo version sold quite recently for much cheaper.. would love a copy of this. 

Edited by thfcliam
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

There was a look-a-like repress/boot done of this record way back in the late 70's.

It looks at first glance like a real one, but the label doesn't have strong colours and the vinyl seems inferior to the original.

Social source share

2 hours ago, solidsoul said:

There was a look-a-like repress/boot done of this record way back in the late 70's.

It looks at first glance like a real one, but the label doesn't have strong colours and the vinyl seems inferior to the original.

is it boot the spoken or short intro?

m

Social source share

13 hours ago, Mal C said:

I bought one with the spoken intro off here within the last 12 months...  great record, paid a bit more than 150 though, think it was either 200 or just above...

m

Near Mint then I take it ?? 

Social source share

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:04, Mal C said:

m

The boot is the version which had the most plays bitd. Although spoken version was played at the mecca, don't think we were ready for it back then. Selectadisc knocked em out. 

Social source share

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 09:42, thfcliam said:

Great record, how often does this come up I saw one sold on discogs for around 150 pounds in 2014 and the promo version sold quite recently for much cheaper.. would love a copy of this. 

Spun the spoken one in April at Diff Strokes.

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well i did wonder about this version as the first time the spoken intro came to my ears was back in March this year when my friend and fellow DJ (Dicko) played this at one our Heslam Park Rugby Club Modern Nites, I had to ask what it was because it sounded familiar but could not at the time put my finger on it so i went up and asked him what it was, he told me it was Diane Jenkins and he said   'You used to play it at the Cleethorpe's Pier All Niters' i replied yes i did but it sounded nothing like that ! I looked at his copy and it was identical to mine on looking at it but i then said well, it's a completely different recording to mine ? I used to go to the Blackpool Mecca but can't recollect hearing the spoken intro version.

Now bearing in mind i used to play the Instrumental side at the Pier and left the other Gleggy DJ's to play the vocal side I decided to dig my Demo Copy out and have a squint and a listen and It is looking like the 2 different versions bear the same record numbers 12006-A and 12006-B respectively (is that correct?)

On the run out  surrounding the label on my none intro copy the numbers are as stated above with an additional number neatly scratched in, that being a small TR with a circle around it and next to that,  CR 12/74 which leads me to think that means Dec. 1974 Discogs has it as 1975. This is just guess work on my part.

As there are some of you that have the spoken intro versions any chance you can have a look and see if the additional letters and numbers differ to mine as to tell which version you are getting when chasing one up.

This is a bit like the Curtis 'How can i tell her' one with the bongs and one without although i think there was a slight label variation on that one but not with the Diane Jenkins track, very interested to see if there is a way of telling.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, KevH said:

The boot is the version which had the most plays bitd. Although spoken version was played at the mecca, don't think we were ready for it back then. Selectadisc knocked em out. 

Really? Why would anyone boot it at the time?

The owner Deke Deberry had hundreds in stock. I was at his house in 1975 and shortly after re-pressed it certainly once  

Social source share

5 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Well i did wonder about this version as the first time the spoken intro came to my ears was back in March this year when my friend and fellow DJ (Dicko) played this at one our Heslam Park Rugby Club Modern Nites, I had to ask what it was because it sounded familiar but could not at the time put my finger on it so i went up and asked him what it was, he told me it was Diane Jenkins and he said   'You used to play it at the Cleethorpe's Pier All Niters' i replied yes i did but it sounded nothing like that ! I looked at his copy and it was identical to mine on looking at it but i then said well, it's a completely different recording to mine ? I used to go to the Blackpool Mecca but can't recollect hearing the spoken intro version.

Now bearing in mind i used to play the Instrumental side at the Pier and left the other Gleggy DJ's to play the vocal side I decided to dig my Demo Copy out and have a squint and a listen and It is looking like the 2 different versions bear the same record numbers 12006-A and 12006-B respectively (is that correct?)

On the run out  surrounding the label on my none intro copy the numbers are as stated above with an additional number neatly scratched in, that being a small TR with a circle around it and next to that,  CR 12/74 which leads me to think that means Dec. 1974 Discogs has it as 1975. This is just guess work on my part.

As there are some of you that have the spoken intro versions any chance you can have a look and see if the additional letters and numbers differ to mine as to tell which version you are getting when chasing one up.

This is a bit like the Curtis 'How can i tell her' one with the bongs and one without although i think there was a slight label variation on that one but not with the Diane Jenkins track, very interested to see if there is a way of telling.  

Here you go, Spoken intro : Vocal side  CF-12006 - II  (the II at the end is actually crossed off top and bottom) see scan..  Inst side has 12006b scratched in very small...

IMG_7996.jpg

Social source share

Don't ever remember hearing the 'spoken intro' version back in the day and I loved the record.   It was maybe only 10 years ago that I heard it for the first time - I bought a copy off here of one of the well known dealers for £80.

Ian Levine championed the record in the first place - he was a big fan of the label and mentioned it often in his BM column at the time.  He even printed Deke Deberry's contact info and that's where we got our copies from .  Mike Charlton spoke to him on the phone and ordered six copies.  The version was well known version and they were 'promo' copies.   He was only able to supply five copies so he put in a copy of Tow Away Zone in to make up the order - and that was a real bonus as it was a big want of mine at the time!

Just for clarity......

Are the normal issue promo only - does anyone have an issue?

Are there promo copies of the spoken issue ? - mine is an issue

Are people sure that it was booted -  one is mentioned here and there is also a a white on purple copy (which I have).  Is it another case of just different pressing runs ordered by the owner to meet demand locally in the US?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:04, Mal C said:

m

Hi The spoken intro is on the issue copies only, the promo doesn't have the spoken intro the repros done in the 70's  don't have the spoken intro also don't have silver on the label if anyone what's a repro I have one for sale

The Issue copies are very hard to find.

Edited by Jonathan
Social source share

37 minutes ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Hi Jonathan, and the issue copy with spoken intro is a different Version/Take/Recording judging by the YouTube music vidios that are up there to the demo copy i play, right?? 

Thats right, the spoken intro mix sounds like a totally different version,however the b side of both mixes feature the instrumental version of the non spoken intro version. I'm sure it was the instrumental version that I heard first at the Mecca , now this could be down to the popularuty of instrumentals at the time, Perception Strings Orchestra, Ron Renaldo etc. or that the copy IL played from had the spoken intro version on the b side, which may not have fitted at the time, with IL's close contacts with Deke Deberry the re-mixing of the vocals with the instrumental version would not have been hard to do and hence the version we all remember is born.

Total conjecture BTW  :yes:

Social source share

55 minutes ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Hi Jonathan, and the issue copy with spoken intro is a different Version/Take/Recording judging by the YouTube music vidios that are up there to the demo copy i play, right?? 

Hi Rick, Yes I have both versions didn't realise there was a spoken intro version until about 10 years ago never hear it played out back in the day.

Hope your keeping well.

Regards

Jonathan

Social source share

Thanks ever so much for that, it answers all the questions and have to say yes, it was a time when instrumentals were at their peek, the vocal of the demo i can live with but still love the instrumental to this day and have to say I find the spoken intro vocal version to be a bit too messy for my ears, but every one to their own, different strokes for different folks:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Hi mike I remember them arriving in Nottingham only a small quantity might have been about 300 .the original stampers weren't used, new metal work matrix written differently also if you where going to repress you would have used silver and purple labels not white and pale purple 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!