Mayfield Singers on Soul City

2 hours ago, chalky said:

I presume it was the later incarnation of the label, was Chris King involved then? Might be worth asking him Steve.

Yes - there hangs a tale for another time. As it happens I did the artwork for the new labels and the CD and LP.

Dx

Social source share

i have a copy which I must have had for about ten years or longer. its definitely  the later run of soul city. the writing on mine  is slightly different it just says Mayfield Singers in block capitals and underneath the spindle hole the title.theres nothing in the dead wax either stamped or scratched

Social source share

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 14:55, tobytyke said:

i have a copy which I must have had for about ten years or longer. its definitely  the later run of soul city. the writing on mine  is slightly different it just says Mayfield Singers in block capitals and underneath the spindle hole the title.theres nothing in the dead wax either stamped or scratched

Sounds like the same batch of TP's as there's nothing at all on the one I have here

Thanks for the reply

Social source share

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 09:12, chalky said:

I presume it was the later incarnation of the label, was Chris King involved then? Might be worth asking him Steve.

Yes definitely the later label, probably right at the back end I guess before they called it a day?

Thanks for the reply Chalky

Social source share

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 12:07, DaveNPete said:

Yes - there hangs a tale for another time. As it happens I did the artwork for the new labels and the CD and LP.

Dx

Why not tell the tale now rather than leaving it for another time :-)

Thanks for the reply

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve hope your keeping well! ......I suggest you speak to Phil Dick, of course Dave Goddin was responsible for the original UK series,

Phil for the second ( label address  Shipley )and from memory Kev Roberts for the third series ,

On your test press the address at the top of the label states Monmoth St, London the same as 

Dave Goddins original label??

so you can make your own conclusion regarding any smoke and mirrors😉

A brilliant record BTW........

Social source share

13 hours ago, Triode said:

Steve hope your keeping well! ......I suggest you speak to Phil Dick, of course Dave Goddin was responsible for the original UK series,

Phil for the second ( label address  Shipley )and from memory Kev Roberts for the third series ,

On your test press the address at the top of the label states Monmoth St, London the same as 

Thanks for the reply

I still wonder what was the proposed Mayfield Singers release number? I presume it comes from the third series?

The original series (#101-#119) '68-'70

I guess the 2nd/3rd series releases would be-

Second Series (#123-#137) '00-'02 (Shipley address)

Third Series (#140-#160) '04

Thanks again and yeah, a fabulous record indeed!

Steve

Social source share

15 hours ago, Triode said:

Smoke and Mirrors? Explain yourself?

Soul City was a brand owned by Dave Godin. He gave his blessing to Chris King to use the logo to release several in demand titles who in turn went into a joint venture with Phil Dick. The year I believe was 1999 as I remember Barbara Lynn signing copies at the Fleetwood Weekender later that year. 

Following a brief partnership, Chris approached Goldsoul to distribute any remaining stock. 

A 2nd series of titles including titles by The Magnificents from Doris Gilbert's Dee Gee label were released without much success. 

The label ceased I believe around 2005. 

All titles are legal on the label. 

As for the Mayfield Singers, it was never scheduled for Soul City. My understanding is Chris used Soul City labels merely to use on test pressings.  I assume the master came from the Mayfiekd release sanctioned by Charly who I believe own the copyright. Goldsoul distributed Don't Start None on a Ltd 45-500 were made from master tapes.   

Smoke all clear  Mirrors duly polished so you can see your face in them  😀

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 18:14, Goldsoul said:

Smoke and Mirrors? Explain yourself?

Soul City was a brand owned by Dave Godin. He gave his blessing to Chris King to use the logo to release several in demand titles who in turn went into a joint venture with Phil Dick. The year I believe was 1999 as I remember Barbara Lynn signing copies at the Fleetwood Weekender later that year. 

Following a brief partnership, Chris approached Goldsoul to distribute any remaining stock. 

A 2nd series of titles including titles by The Magnificents from Doris Gilbert's Dee Gee label were released without much success. 

The label ceased I believe around 2005. 

All titles are legal on the label. 

As for the Mayfield Singers, it was never scheduled for Soul City. My understanding is Chris used Soul City labels merely to use on test pressings.  I assume the master came from the Mayfiekd release sanctioned by Charly who I believe own the copyright. Goldsoul distributed Don't Start None on a Ltd 45-500 were made from master tapes.   

Smoke all clear  Mirrors duly polished so you can see your face in them  😀

Hi Kev

Thanks for the reply

For the record, even though I started the topic, I made no mention of smoke, mirrors or explanation, I merely wanted to know about the Soul City Test Pressing?

Thanks for clearing up the fact that it was never scheduled for release on Soul City and is in fact a TP for the Mayfield release HERE

Out of interest, what year would this be for the TP/Mayfield release (with instrumental on B side)?

Thanks again

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!