Arena - American Epic. 3 Part documentary

Guest themroc

Guest themroc

Caught the first part on Sunday. Was totally fascinated by the  early roots of popular American music. Jug Bands and the birth of the Blues. Hopefully the next two episodes will be just as informative but above all a documentary with no celebrity halfwit wandering pensively, just great footage and fact. 

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

3 hours ago, themroc said:

Caught the first part on Sunday. Was totally fascinated by the  early roots of popular American music. Jug Bands and the birth of the Blues. Hopefully the next two episodes will be just as informative but above all a documentary with no celebrity halfwit wandering pensively, just great footage and fact. 

I only caught the last part of this first episode but it looks great. I'm looking forward to the next ones and hope to record the series when it comes by again.

Social source share

Some nice archive clips of recording sessions and artists early performances plus a bizarre cartoon of Cocaine Habit Blues by Memphis Jug Band. I thought they concentrated on The Carter Family and Memphis Jug Band too much, ignoring other artists. Hope the next one doesn't over emphasize Elvis Presley without mention of those who influenced him.

Executive producer is Jack White but he only appeared in the back of a bunch of musicians. The experts used seemed to know their stuff. Looking good for the next two.

Social source share

is this BBC?, if so I'm expecting the usual derivative shite that airbrushes history, to enhance the narrative. No celebrity presenter?? wtf? thought that was illegal nowadays? For Christ sake the public demand a drivelling imbelcile that knows sweet FA about the subject but has been to performing / journo school!

Social source share

Guest themroc

Well let's see how it pan handles out on Sunday on BBC 4. Good to see the footage of the early 78 pressing plants and it's historical references. Arena and Storyville still show its possible to make documentaries with out appealing to the lowest common denomination. 

Social source share

7 hours ago, geeselad said:

is this BBC?, if so I'm expecting the usual derivative shite that airbrushes history, to enhance the narrative. No celebrity presenter?? wtf? thought that was illegal nowadays? For Christ sake the public demand a drivelling imbelcile that knows sweet FA about the subject but has been to performing / journo school!

Taj Mahal, Charlie Musselwhite, T Bone Burnett, drivelling imbeciles?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rnyxq

Social source share

17 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

Taj Mahal, Charlie Musselwhite, T Bone Burnett, drivelling imbeciles?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rnyxq

Obviously not, but the treatment the BBC have recently given to black music is piss poor.  I have really bee so disappointed with the Beeb, it seems like all the decent music Tvee is now on sky. hopefully this should do something to redress the balance.    

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 24/05/2017 at 12:21, geeselad said:

Obviously not, but the treatment the BBC have recently given to black music is piss poor.  I have really bee so disappointed with the Beeb, it seems like all the decent music Tvee is now on sky. hopefully this should do something to redress the balance.    

It's not just black music - it's any viewer  with a basic level of intelligence: the  same two or three "go-to" presenters they obviously think are big draw when in reality they're the exact opposite. They play to a lowest common denominator, which usually results in a narrative similar to  a Jackanory presenter reading stories to five year olds. That's what it's become at the BBC.  If anyone doubts this next time just listen to the whole tone and phrasing they use in their documentaries. Now children drink your warm milk then off to bed you go says Auntie Beeb.  :sleep3:

Edited by maslar
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert