Bobby Kline

Guest Lady Maverick

Guest Lady Maverick

I have just purchased a 3-CD Northern Soul Box Set which features Bobby's SAY SOMETHING NICE TO ME (1972). This set doesn't have any information of any of the artists featured. :yes: Any info on him?

Groovy set! :yes:

post-6621-1163078395_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Have no info on Bobby Kline, but I think you'll find "Say Something Nice To Me" is more likely to be from 1969 rather than 1972.

What I can say is that the single was released on the MB label, and has "Takin' Care of Business", a nice uptempo cut, on the flip side.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Have no info on Bobby Kline, but I think you'll find "Say Something Nice To Me" is more likely to be from 1969 rather than 1972.

What I can say is that the single was released on the MB label, and has "Takin' Care of Business", a nice uptempo cut, on the flip side.

Dave...thanks for that info! I don't know why the notes said 1972...that really frustrates me! :angry:

Do you know if that's the only single?

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I have some info on him. He made one of the worst records of all time, Say Something Nice To Me.

So TAKIN' CARE OF BUSINESS is the better side? I kind of like SAY SOMETHING NICE TO ME.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I haven't heard it, but no doubt it's terrible :thumbsup:

(You'll get used to my sense of humour, I just always hated that record from the first time I heard it)

:thumbsup: Ok! laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

So TAKIN' CARE OF BUSINESS is the better side? I kind of like SAY SOMETHING NICE TO ME.

Ignore misery guts, he has no taste at all, he once told me that Please Don't Go sounded like Andy Williams :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

christ I can think of some worse records pedro.

I think bobby kline is tremendous. love the gals on backing vocals. nice plaintive lyrics too. all in all, a top drawer sound, whatever that means. :thumbup:

Buzzing? :yes:

Used to like it been played to death and wouldn't care if i ever herd it out again really :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

has anyone mentioned hes..white...but a bloody good soul singer

say something nice to me ....one of me faves

Geeooooordie

I like Bobby's voice, especially on SAY SOMETHING NICE TO ME...I haven't stopped playing it yet!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Sorry, Pete, but there are some records in the history of Northern Soul that are beyond any critiscism whatsoever, and Bobby Kline is one of them.

I know you hate it but I've never met anyone else who does....

...mind you, I've always felt the same about Rita and the Tiaras.

Horses for courses...

TONE :yes:

Social source share

Sorry, Pete, but there are some records in the history of Northern Soul that are beyond any critiscism whatsoever, and Bobby Kline is one of them.

I know you hate it but I've never met anyone else who does....

wave.gif

al though hate is a harsh word, i've just herd it out time and time again, blame DJ's with little imagenation for that one.

Why is it beyond any critiscism?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

wave.gif

al though hate is a harsh word, i've just herd it out time and time again, blame DJ's with little imagenation for that one.

Why is it beyond any critiscism?

It's not the record's fault that it's been overplayed, is it? There are plenty of other equally overplayed records in my own list of 'tunes that I'd rather never hear again', but that are still unquestionably brilliant records in themselves....

...tell me what's to criticise, beyond the play-safe attitude of far too many DJs, and I'll tell you whether you're right or not :wicked::unsure::elvis:

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Sorry Tone I just think it's a horrible record. I hate the flute intro, the first lines are a carbon vopy of Headline News (you can sing "read all about it" in the background) and the whole thing is just mediocre, including the singing and the twee backing vocalists.

Social source share

It's not the record's fault that it's been overplayed, is it? There are plenty of other equally overplayed records in my own list of 'tunes that I'd rather never hear again', but that are still unquestionably brilliant records in themselves....

...tell me what's to criticise, beyond the play-safe attitude of far too many DJs, and I'll tell you whether you're right or not :unsure::elvis::elvis:

TONE

No not the records fault...well maybe it is if i liked it that much i wouldn't get bored of it would I unsure.gif

Whos any one to say some one is right or wrong in their critisms of any records? its personal oppinions and weather you like the record or not surley, or is their some higher type god like person that has the final say :wicked:

Social source share

Whats this Pete, I love my Barrrrrbara :lol::huh: Dont knock it till you have tried it.

The Bobby Kline,record is very good sound It wouldnt do for us all to like the same and follow like sheep

Kev.

I do wonder if that is what did happen the other way round though ? Take an average ok record someone big's it up & everyone follows like sheep !

Mucho apologies & each to his own e.t.c, but i tend to agree with Pete S to an extent

Social source share

• 11 years later...

Was originally supposed to escape on Down East (same label as Justin) ...

BOBBY Rosengarden, VP of MB, was a famous jazz guy who worked with the likes of Jimmy Smith, Walter Wanderley, Tony Mottola, Astrud Gilberto, Cal Tjader, Charlie Byrd, Wes Montgomery & more.

BobbyKline67.jpg

BobbyKline66.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The record must have suffered distribution problems as many copies were pressed up with labels reversed. A small number of copies turned up in the 90’s so it was given the exposure it deserved being a decent, mellow mid-pace dancer. 

Turned out to be another Chicago flop in a sea of more commercially successful records, but that’s what makes it a little bit extra special for those of us who appreciate overlooked sounds.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!