CHOLLI MAYE - YOU WILL NEVER GET AWAY?

Venus

Hi I was wondering if anyone on this forum can help with this please?

I was trying to find some information about her and came across rumours that it maybe Shirley Reeves (Alston) of The Shirelles...However In comments made on youtube wynonie harris said this:

'There is no "rumor".That is DEFINTELY Shirley Alston. The song was a big hit in Philadelphia in the late summer of `63. Shirley was a guest on the Jerry Blavat show and said it was her. It was also produced by Frankie Valli (yes THAT Frankie Valli) and written by Charlie Callelo who wrote a produced a bunch of Four Seasons songs.'

Can anyone confirm the above is true or not? Plus it wasn't unusual back then to record under a different name if still under contract with another company...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi there- Sadly I don't have the answer but a theory. 

Firstly I doubt Shirley Alston is Cholli Maye.  She doesn't sound like her, plus Charles released a lot of stuff by general unknowns. 

What backs up that theory is, I did the voice over for Calello's web site and spoke with him at length. He never indicated Maye was Alston. 

I first heard the song at the Geator's(Jerry Blavat)Record Hops in 1975. As you rightly say, it was a hit in Philly  

To me, the voice is an experienced one of the time, something that most producers went for. Less hassle, one fee, use a pseudonym and away you go. 

I have emailed CC to jog his memory  

cheers 

Edited by Goldsoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!