• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just musing...

Whatever happened to John Abbey?

Is he still with us? I haven't read B&S since the mid 80's, so I've know idea.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question!

Dont he make tunes in the USA,ichiban and related labels,are his i think :thumbsup: he like the blues i rekcon :thumbsup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Just musing...

Whatever happened to John Abbey?

Is he still with us? I haven't read B&S since the mid 80's, so I've know idea.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question!

John's in his 60s, now still alive, still living in Atlanta but basically out of the record business since Ichiban collapsed and with no real desire to get back into it.

Did you know, by the way, that John is also a huge Country music fan as well as a Soul buff? A man after my own heart....

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Didn't he once own or at least write for Country Music People?

No - but I have to admit that I do (write for CMP, not own it!) :thumbsup:

I believe, though, that John did, at some time, write a round up of Country releases for Record Mirror in the late 50s/early 60s. It was John who got me into George Jones and Merle Haggard, two things for which I will be forever grateful and which make up for the fact that it was his Ichiban label that first inflicted Vanilla Ice on the world!

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

No - but I have to admit that I do (write for CMP, not own it!) :thumbsup:

I believe, though, that John did, at some time, write a round up of Country releases for Record Mirror in the late 50s/early 60s. It was John who got me into George Jones and Merle Haggard, two things for which I will be forever grateful and which make up for the fact that it was his Ichiban label that first inflicted Vanilla Ice on the world!

TONE biggrin.gif

And "trying to love two",B Lynn.................a top album,i did own,once :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Wasn't he also married to Tamiko Jones & was also involved with the OOTP pressings with Chris Burton?

Paul

Yes to the first bit, not quite to the second - it was actually John's good friend Otis Leavill who was Burton's accomplice in OOTP (certainly in the first series that were mastered and pressed in Chicago, at any rate)...

TONE :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!