Is it time to sell up?

Is it me or my cynical imagination that there seems to be deluge of Soul Sales just at the moment? has the bubble burst or just sellers doing so to fund more expensive wants. ( a bit like myself)

Any thoughts by others would be interesting? :g:

Ian

Social source share

don't think so.....like you have been selling/trading a few to obtain the bigger ticket wants, yes there are a lot of sales but also a lot of crap with people thinking now is a good time to unload some of those"couldnt sell 45s"

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Ian

I have been collecting for over fourty years only ever sold one of my records in that time but the prices today make it more difficult

to buy new wants I do think some times is now the time to cash in.

Lance

Social source share

10 minutes ago, leames said:

Hi Ian

I have been collecting for over fourty years only ever sold one of my records in that time but the prices today make it more difficult

to buy new wants I do think some times is now the time to cash in.

Lance

My problem seems to be that the sales are lAagging behind the wants LOL.

Edited by ik001
Social source share

59 minutes ago, ik001 said:

Is it me or my cynical imagination that there seems to be deluge of Soul Sales just at the moment? has the bubble burst or just sellers doing so to fund more expensive wants. ( a bit like myself)

Any thoughts by others would be interesting? :g:

Ian

Latter I think Ian. I think the bubble is far from bursting - just look at the stupid prices 'classic' Northerner Soulie oldies are fetching. Tastes change, so there's a lot of 'box turnover' activity. I think there are a lot of the same folk churning them on a regular basis though, you and me included!!

Social source share

I occasionally scan ebay and just this year one of my top wants from about 10 years ago has sold twice for far less than i would have paid back then.

and then i'm also amazed at how much some records sell for.

so seems illogical but still plenty of fun to be had collecting now imo.

Social source share

38 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Always loads of records to buy and sell. In my opinion people looking to predict the market and then thinking of selling are perhaps buying for the wrong reasons. I dont expect to recoup anything back from my collection as I am buying because I like the record - irrespective of the price.

Just a personal opinion. 

:hatsoff2:

Thats me too pete  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

I can't wait for loads of people to start selling up, please do it guys!

in the meantime prices continue to rocket...

Social source share

12 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Always loads of records to buy and sell. In my opinion people looking to predict the market and then thinking of selling are perhaps buying for the wrong reasons. I dont expect to recoup anything back from my collection as I am buying because I like the record - irrespective of the price.

Just a personal opinion. 

:hatsoff2:

Well said Pete, I pick and choose what I buy but I am happy to pay the price if I want the record, last thing I worry about is getting my money back in this game. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I think it depends on why you own certain records and what those records are, we all know the pleasure to be found in just looking at a particular label, holding the record in your hands, the emotional bond that you have for certain records whether it be a memory of time, place or even person. Then you have to consider the act of actually  collecting records and the lengths some will go to for instance to get a full run of a label, the various different issues, pressing plants etc.

I'm as far away an expert on record prices and what holds it's value and what doesn't as I am from Mars but taking into account the age range of people on the scene and current prices for apparently not so rare records if I was in possession of  

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
10 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

I think it depends on why you own certain records and what those records are, we all know the pleasure to be found in just looking at a particular label, holding the record in your hands, the emotional bond that you have for certain records whether it be a memory of time, place or even person. Then you have to consider the act of actually  collecting records and the lengths some will go to for instance to get a full run of a label, the various different issues, pressing plants etc.

I'm as far away an expert on record prices and what holds it's value and what doesn't as I am from Mars but taking into account the age range of people on the scene and current prices for apparently not so rare records if I was in possession of  

cliffhanger!!

Social source share

I wonder how NS vinyl is going to reach the next generation. They will never be able to afford it. The financial commitments to young adults now are huge to have a future quality of life.

At a certain point and I am serious about this, we are simply going to have to give it to them to keep it going.

Cue gasps I am sure, but as people age, pass away and move beyond vinyl being an active part of their lives, it will either be passed down family, sold off anyway or left behind.   

Wheel go-ers are at a minimum into their sixties now as are many DJs.  This becomes an active consideration from this point on and I welcome perspectives.

At a certain point of age the money will become irrelevant that can be recouped on vinyl, it will just be more money the state can access for social care.  It will be the continuation that is most vital at that stage.

Thoughts?

Social source share

For collectors, owning the original sevens will always be the main prize. But if people here are genuinely concerned about youngsters being able to enjoy the music, is it not time to allow them to enjoy it off a compact disc or reissue, which would be both cheaper and higher quality audio-wise? That wouldn't stop anyone from collecting original vinyl, and would be more likely to encourage new ones to start, and for the right reasons, rather than speculators looking for the latest place to park their money for as long as it takes to make a few thousand more quid.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 hour ago, ThinkSmart said:

I wonder how NS vinyl is going to reach the next generation. They will never be able to afford it. The financial commitments to young adults now are huge to have a future quality of life.

At a certain point and I am serious about this, we are simply going to have to give it to them to keep it going.

Cue gasps I am sure, but as people age, pass away and move beyond vinyl being an active part of their lives, it will either be passed down family, sold off anyway or left behind.   

Wheel go-ers are at a minimum into their sixties now as are many DJs.  This becomes an active consideration from this point on and I welcome perspectives.

At a certain point of age the money will become irrelevant that can be recouped on vinyl, it will just be more money the state can access for social care.  It will be the continuation that is most vital at that stage.

Thoughts?

so I bought one of my 'kids' (who is into the music) a record box and literally gave away a stack of original Northern to get 'em started, they come to events with us and so it's really just keeping it in the family...most of us on here probably own an awful lot of 45's and LP's so it's not a big hardship to donate some cheapies to the younger crew in our lives

Social source share

15 hours ago, shufflin said:

cliffhanger!!

Yes, I hit post before I had finished then  thought twice about posting, I thought I had deleted post when I edited but obviously not, must be more careful in future, good thread though, some interesting views in the end just didn't think mine were valid or of interest.

Social source share

15 hours ago, ThinkSmart said:

Thoughts?

Why are we going to have to give it them? Plenty out there that are easily affordable and in many cases very good dancer, all it needs is some imagination.

besides many are nearer their coffin than their nappy and collections will hit the market.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There are always lots of records for sale BUT where are the BIG tunes? Stashed away in collectors boxes where most will stay for a long time, occasionally a classic pops up, I recently saw Ronnie McNeir sell on eBay for £1500 and a certain well know gentleman sold a copy of Silky Hargreaves on this very site last month for around the same price. So does that have the look of bubble bursting? I don't think so. On the opposite side a mint unplayed copy of Wombat sold in JM's auction a week or so ago for just £225 whereas a minter went on eBay for £500 in September last year, where is the logic in that? I have sold a few biggies over the past couple of years to fund new purchases. 18 months ago JM sold my unplayed copy of Sam Williams for £2323.00 which I was delighted with, until he sold another 9 months later for £3400.00! He also sold my copy of Milton Wright for £878.00 which I was staggered at but just proves that whatever is being played by the big name jocks will spike in value.

I am tiered of people saying "That's too much money, I would never pay that" because I remember a mate of mine paying £12.00 for Candi Staton at Wigan in about 1976 and thinking that he must be nuts because at the time I was only earning £18.00 a week! 

So lets stop moaning about high prices and start looking at our collections just like works of art or classic cars, they are appreciating assets

• Helpful 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Okehdownsouth said:

There are always lots of records for sale BUT where are the BIG tunes? Stashed away in collectors boxes where most will stay for a long time, occasionally a classic pops up, I recently saw Ronnie McNeir sell on eBay for £1500 and a certain well know gentleman sold a copy of Silky Hargreaves on this very site last month for around the same price. So does that have the look of bubble bursting? I don't think so. On the opposite side a mint unplayed copy of Wombat sold in JM's auction a week or so ago for just £225 whereas a minter went on eBay for £500 in September last year, where is the logic in that? I have sold a few biggies over the past couple of years to fund new purchases. 18 months ago JM sold my unplayed copy of Sam Williams for £2323.00 which I was delighted with, until he sold another 9 months later for £3400.00! He also sold my copy of Milton Wright for £878.00 which I was staggered at but just proves that whatever is being played by the big name jocks will spike in value.

I am tiered of people saying "That's too much money, I would never pay that" because I remember a mate of mine paying £12.00 for Candi Staton at Wigan in about 1976 and thinking that he must be nuts because at the time I was only earning £18.00 a week! 

So lets stop moaning about high prices and start looking at our collections just like works of art or classic cars, they are appreciating assets

Exactly. Just like houses. And how easy is it for youngsters to find affordable rented accommodation, let alone climb aboard the absurdly named property ladder? Perhaps the government will introduce a new "Help to Buy" scheme, or "Help to Listen to OVO" scheme, so that youngsters don't become totally excluded.

Social source share

On 2017-5-31 at 20:22, ThinkSmart said:

Thoughts?

I hope it doesn't reach the "next generation". They should be looking forward not backward. Good stuff stands the test of time and it'll always be out there but younger people need to make and find their own music.

Social source share

7 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I hope it doesn't reach the "next generation". They should be looking forward not backward. Good stuff stands the test of time and it'll always be out there but younger people need to make and find their own music.

That's right, my old man didn't pass his Jim Reeves records on to me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chalky - my point about giving records to them is that we will be so old we have no use for them, our kids probably won't be that interested other than to sell them (in many but not all cases) and I assume many of us would like the next generation to continue the scene.  I guess it doesn't really matter, age will make the decisions for us. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 29 May 2017 at 22:05, shufflin said:

I can't wait for loads of people to start selling up, please do it guys!

in the meantime prices continue to rocket...

Christmas is comin and records will be goin 

Adelaide in November, then I'll be selling mine 

Social source share

I have never known anything like it as it is at the moment. Demand seems higher than ever.

I had a box if 45s that I separated 2-3 years ago that i could not  sell only have about 20 remaining. Sold a lot in the past 12 months.

I agree that a lot of collectors are shifting records to fund other purchases but that has always been the case hasn't it?

Records are a form of currency now and have been for many years.

Anybody selling up let me know or commission sales at 5% the cheapest out there? 

Daz

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 5/31/2017 at 21:53, shufflin said:

so I bought one of my 'kids' (who is into the music) a record box and literally gave away a stack of original Northern to get 'em started, they come to events with us and so it's really just keeping it in the family...most of us on here probably own an awful lot of 45's and LP's so it's not a big hardship to donate some cheapies to the younger crew in our lives

If you would like to adopt me, on the condition that I too get a stack of originals as a 'welcome to the family son' gift then please feel free to drop me a line Dad!  

Social source share

I'm the same... 

Also thinking how long can the price of vinyl keep going up? Or even stay as it is?

- is there a new generation coming through in their drives as there was in ours, who will want to buy rate ninyl at these expensive prices!? - I don't think so? 

If I died in 20/30 years time, where are my kids / family gonna get rid of all my 45s/ LPs?? 

I say/ know (at present) they are worth a small fortune, but for how much longer?? 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've been selling up for a while now, I'm doing it because I need to raise money to fund my private cancer treatment.

It is not an easy thing to do for many reasons;

• I don't like having to sell them, some took ages to get and I've only bought records I really like.
  • It takes up a lot of time; grading, pricing, advertising, sound files, photos, haggling, chasing payment, buying mailers, packing, posting etc
  • Some records are really easy to sell, others don't sell unless you make them really cheap, others don't sell at all, some records take a year to sell.
  • Most buyers are honest, friendly and efficient, some are flaky, some are just arseholes
  • There are less buyers for expensive records than you think there are.

Anyone thinking of selling up for the money should consider the above and decide whether they want the hassle. If you want a lump sum you are better going to a dealer and selling the lot, you won't get as much as you want but you will get it all in one go.

I hate selling up and am busy sorting out my treatment and other stuff so I only do it in fits and starts.

Anyone looking at their collection as an investment for the future should have a sit down and re-evaluate things, record prices go up and down, today's must have in demander is tomorrow's over played dud, if something sells for 500 one week it might not be worth that next week as the guy that paid 500 has already got one. The best collections are in the hands of people over 60 with only a few exceptions, they will all come up for sale at some time and might all come up over a short period of time.

if records become cheap again, I and many others might buy them back! If we're still alive. At the moment I've resigned myself to never having a collection of 45's again.

Enjoy your collections, they are better than a hot box.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!