Frolic's On A Friday

Jumpinjoan

Guest martinsbox

Paris Blues - tony middleton - mala 544

11338 refosoul

2:11 of the best sound ever . . . a record from my youth . . . and still going strong!! Mr. Middleton can do no wrong on this monster sound.

Martin smil3dbd4e5e7563a.gifsmil3dbd4e5e7563a.gifsmil3dbd4e5e7563a.gif

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

that's how heartaches are made - baby washington - sue records ens 3-a re-issue

11339 refosoul

Time for some mellow on a Friday.

niice..... did this record make the mainstream charts at all?? i'm sure that i've heard it on a radio station years ago... Delxx

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

niice..... did this record make the mainstream charts at all?? i'm sure that i've heard it on a radio station years ago... Delxx

Hi Del ... Jeanette 'Baby' Washington never did get a chart record, and there is no other version of this tune that entered the charts. I think there were other versions by Jerry Butler on Mercury in 1973; The Dells on Veteran in 1988; Bobby Hutton on Blue Rock in 1968; The Marvalettes on Tamla in 1969. Baby Washington's original version was released on Sue 783 in March 1963 . . . and still sounds great. :rolleyes:

that's how heartaches are made - baby washington -sue records ens 3-a re-issue

11339 refosoul

Martin

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

Hi Del ... Jeanette 'Baby' Washington never did get a chart record, and there is no other version of this tune that entered the charts. I think there were other versions by Jerry Butler on Mercury in 1973; The Dells on Veteran in 1988; Bobby Hutton on Blue Rock in 1968; The Marvalettes on Tamla in 1969. Baby Washington's original version was released on Sue 783 in March 1963 . . . and still sounds great. :thumbsup:

11339 refosoul

Martin

Must've been played on a soul show then mate,nice bit of romance :rolleyes: on a friday night!!!...Del xx

Social source share

THINK SMART - fiestas - old town

11332 refosoul

Make no excuses for this one what so ever!!

When i first started going to niters... this was one record i always thought i'd never get... although it's not that rare i know.

}

Still feel dead proud when i play it.... got everything a soul record should have... and more :thumbsup:

Bought an issue of this 20 odd years ago off a Ray Evans list..{whatever happened to Ray...he used to turn up loads of the big tunes of the day}

Only snag was...it was two months before I could play it as I'd had the list sent in while at Her Majesty's pleasure...and had to finish my sentence before getting home to play it...still well worth the wait :D:lol:

Social source share

Hi Del ... Jeanette 'Baby' Washington never did get a chart record, and there is no other version of this tune that entered the charts. I think there were other versions by Jerry Butler on Mercury in 1973; The Dells on Veteran in 1988; Bobby Hutton on Blue Rock in 1968; The Marvalettes on Tamla in 1969. Baby Washington's original version was released on Sue 783 in March 1963 . . . and still sounds great. :lol:

11339 refosoul

Martin

Got to put the record straight here Martin and give the great Baby Washington her due, she had a couple of top 10 hits in the R&B charts, one of them "That's How Heartaches Are Made" peaking at 10 R&B and crossing over to the national charts peaking at 40 in march '63, her other top 10er again peaked at 10 and crossed over to peak at 73, that was "Only Those In Love" in july '65, she also went "pop"with "Nobody Cares" for Neptune in june '61and "Leave Me Alone" for Sue (great record) in august '63, at 60 and 62 respectively, she was a regular in the R&B charts from '59 through to the mid 70s when she was cutting sides for Master, one of which crossed over too, " Forever" 30 R&B and went "pop" albeit at a lowly 119, the sides she cut with Don Gardner also did well in the R&B charts and last but not least she again made the R&B charts in may 1980 as featured singer on "Wolf Tickets" by Parlet a George Clinton group, apologies for going on a bit here but as far as I'm concerned Jeanette "Baby" Washington never made a bad record and fully deserved her chart success,

Thanks for posting it Martin it certainly does.....still sound great :thumbsup:

Derek.

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!