Modern Or Jazz Funk

Guest sigher the gutter snype

after a night of listening to

HUDSON PEOPLE "TRIP TO YOUR MIND AND BOY SCOUT

GQ-MAKE MY DREAM A REALITY

FAT LARRY-LOOKING FOR LOVE TONIGHT

GONZALES-GET CLOSER TO YOU

what the difference when these are called JAZZ FUNK although i know the "make my dreams a reality" was a modern spin

whats the difference between these and say KING TUTT that would be classed as a modern spin, but could also be Jazz funk

i know JAZZ FUNK is a U.K term so how do you define?

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I guess jazz funk is really funk made by jazz artists e.g. Charles Earland, Roy Ayers, Lonnie Listin Smith, etc. However, there was so much other stuff that was popular at the time that wasn't vastly different that it just got put under the same banner. It's all good, innit?

Social source share

I guess jazz funk is really funk made by jazz artists e.g. Charles Earland, Roy Ayers, Lonnie Listin Smith, etc. However, there was so much other stuff that was popular at the time that wasn't vastly different that it just got put under the same banner. It's all good, innit?

GOOD POINT

YEAH LOVE SOME OF THE JAZZ FUNK STUFF FROM THE U.K AND BEYOND

DEFINATELY WORTHY OF SPINNING AT MODERN SOUL EVENTS.

Social source share

GOOD POINT

YEAH LOVE SOME OF THE JAZZ FUNK STUFF FROM THE U.K AND BEYOND

DEFINATELY WORTHY OF SPINNING AT MODERN SOUL EVENTS.

Russ, Hope all is well mate. I never did get to tell/show you the haul of Jazz Funk 12"s I found in a WGC charity shop. Looked like a DJ collection that had been dumped....was pretty nice. Drop you an email later in the week.

Social source share

With the addition of Jazz overtones to Funk, i feel that it really mellowed out the sound and made it more accessible to a wider audience, in the way that RnBmixed with gospel and pop in the early 60s, brought about a new fan base, to me, there is no real line between jazz funk, Modern or even rare groove,just different terminology between the genres,but as a lover of all things soulful, what do I know :rolleyes: :dance: Delxx

Social source share

With the addition of Jazz overtones to Funk, i feel that it really mellowed out the sound and made it more accessible to a wider audience, in the way that RnBmixed with gospel and pop in the early 60s, brought about a new fan base, to me, there is no real line between jazz funk, Modern or even rare groove,just different terminology between the genres,but as a lover of all !things soulful, what do I know :rolleyes: :dance: Delxx

but as a lover of all things soulful thats all you need to know. :thumbsup:

denmac.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

I always knew jazz-funk as described...here in the States, these were records that not only were played on the jazz stations, they were played on the soul stations as well. George Duke, the Blackbyrds and Stanley Clarke for example were played a lot in the 70s on both stations.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!