Sam Williams Rare / great but 2 demo runs - info / help

Never really crossed my mind before but having owned a wlp - no 'A' on label in the mid 90's Sam Williams - Love slipped through my fingers I've noticed that occasionally one is pictured with an 'A' above the Tower logo in posts for sale or youtube. 45 with 'A' appears much less frequently.

For 45 that appears to have never made the transition to red stock copy, any known reason for 2 print runs, are they from different pressing plants? / second attempt to get some action ?

puzzled ? - one of each out there for sale currently

Steve

Edited by vadnochka
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, vadnochka said:

Never really crossed my mind before but having owned a wlp - no 'A' on label in the mid 90's Sam Williams - Love slipped through my fingers I've noticed that occasionally one is pictured with an 'A' above the Tower logo in posts for sale or youtube. 45 with 'A' appears much less frequently.

For 45 that appears to have never made the transition to red stock copy, any known reason for 2 print runs, are they from different pressing plants? / second attempt to get some action ?

puzzled ? - one of each out there for sale currently

Steve

thats mine on ebay steve,where is another for sale mate?

god knows why there would be any variations on the label,considering it never made it to an issue!

Social source share

Never seen the variant of the Sam Williams Tower 45 with an A on the label you mention.

As far as I know there is only one original pressing of this, a white demo on styrene. Label artwork done by Bert & Co. in Los Angeles and pressed at a plant called Rainbo which was a Capitol overflow facility notorious for really poor quality styrene pressings.

Social source share

59 minutes ago, bo diddley said:

Don't know if it's a bad scan or what, but it doesn't look right somehow to me?

Maybe it is just me seeing something that it not really wrong.

Social source share

4 hours ago, bo diddley said:

Those both look OK, although the image above does seem a bit overexposed, thinning out the type a bit. The ballad side has the lower master number which is sometimes indicative of what was indented as the promoted side. Wonder if this is a case of the record company realising at a slightly later date that the dance side should get the nod as the plugged side.

Tower is a really odd label to try to release soul/ R&B on. Sam Williams and Bill Brandon might have had more of a chance of airplay and sales had they been on Uptown or even the main Capitol label.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!