Jump to content

Late 70's Jazz Funk Scene


Recommended Posts

Posted

Interested in the late 70's / early 80's period when a lot of northern folk went over to the dark side i.e. Jazz Funk

What were the top tunes / best venues / fashions / dancing, etc.

Did those of you that were into it eventually just come back to venues like Stafford, Morecambe, Nottingham Oddfellows, etc, that incorporated upfront modern soul into their playlists?

Memories of that time?

Cheers, Chris.

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amount Of Reads

  •  Views 48.7k

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only just come across this topic after not logging in for a long while!  Use to love the first couple of hours at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens when Poke would be playing all the latest new promo st

Mystic Merlin - Just Can't Give You Up     

This thread got me routing through my sounds last night and finding 12" from back in the day ... and some still get played today as crossover tracks as the beat fits into modern ...  This one als

Posted Images

Posted
59 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Interested in the late 70's / early 80's period when a lot of northern folk went over to the dark side i.e. Jazz Funk

What were the top tunes / best venues / fashions / dancing, etc.

Did those of you that were into it eventually just come back to venues like Stafford, Morecambe, Nottingham Oddfellows, etc, that incorporated upfront modern soul into their playlists?

Memories of that time?

Cheers, Chris.

Here is one of my favourite Jazz Funk spins Chris, Donald Byrd's - Love Has Come Around :hatsoff2: 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Well ... have to admit I went over to the dark side for a while in the early 80's ... 

Wigan Pier and Legends in Manchester ... and Greg Wilsons mixes where kicking it hard ..

 

Still love my Jazz Funk ... and always will ... but moved on to house and acid when Ibiza and Ku started up ... those M25 raves unforgettable .. 

Edited by stevegods
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Guest Spain pete
Posted (edited)

Mandrill ,cymande ,sir Joe quarterman, Eddie Harris, freeze , light of the world,  brass construction ,BT express ,fatback band ,   goal posts for jumpers  great music great times 🎶🎶🎶🎶👍 great thread 

Edited by Spain pete
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

one o the big ones at time and place Bradford

chico Hamilton strut

Edited by algsoul
soul source url
Social source share
Guest Polyvelts
Posted

Used to pop in to the Bali Hai at Brum Locarno all dayers now and then....

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

 

:g: I remember a friend going on and on about this one telling me to buy it - Mass Production - Shante :) 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Remember going to the Heart of England Soul Club All Dayers at Blackpool Mecca with Northern in the Highland Room and Jazz Funk in the Main Hall.  Acts included Light of the World and Players Association.  Hawaiian shirts were very popular among the jazz funkateers.  Attended one on a cold winter day with a mass snowball fight outside between the two tribes.  Happy days.  Popular sounds at the time.....

Charles Earland - Let The Music Play

Roy Ayers - Running Away / Can't You See Me

Crusaders - Street Life

Hudson People - Trip To Your Mind

Rahni Harris - Six Million Steps

Two Man Sound - Que Tal America

Eddie Henderson - Prance On

Azimuth - Jazz Carnival

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Spain pete
Posted

Global village charing cross norman jay ,    scamps hemel Hempstead Greg Edwards.  , frames Cambridge  dickie searling, great music and times .  and the beat goes on!🎶🎶🎶🎶

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
13 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Interested in the late 70's / early 80's period when a lot of northern folk went over to the dark side i.e. Jazz Funk

Members of the Jazz Funk scene attempted to turn me in the late 70s, even offering me a shiny new whistle, but I stayed on the right track.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

Members of the Jazz Funk scene attempted to turn me in the late 70s, even offering me a shiny new whistle, but I stayed on the right track.

Similar to me Steve, when friends would come round the parents place to listen to Northern I would hide the Jazz Funk 12's :rofl:  

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Thanks all for the responses so far - really interesting and some great tunes - keep them coming plus any stories about clubs, DJ's, fashions, etc

Given the numbers that were into it at the time, and the affection a lot of folk clearly still have for it, it's surprising there hasn't been some kind of revival, whereas of course now you can't move for northern nights

I'm caught in the middle really - some a bit insipid for me, like something you'd hear on the airport bus lol, however some I absolutely love - Ronnie Laws 'Always There', Bobby Lyle' Genie', Rahni Harris 'Six Million Steps', Atmosfear 'Motivation', Miroslav Vitous 'NYC', etc - mostly the brassy uptempo stuff rather than the laid back grooves which don't stand up so well now IMO

Also a big fan of Greg Wilson - love his 'Credit to the Edit' CD's. See link below to an excellent piece from GW's website about Legend(s) in Manchester as mentioned earlier by Steve:-

http://blog.gregwilson.co.uk/2011/08/legend-manchesters-other-club/

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Thanks all for the responses so far - really interesting and some great tunes - keep them coming plus any stories about clubs, DJ's, fashions, etc

Given the numbers that were into it at the time, and the affection a lot of folk clearly still have for it, it's surprising there hasn't been some kind of revival, whereas of course now you can't move for northern nights

I'm caught in the middle really - some a bit insipid for me, like something you'd hear on the airport bus lol, however some I absolutely love - Ronnie Laws 'Always There', Bobby Lyle' Genie', Rahni Harris 'Six Million Steps', Atmosfear 'Motivation', Miroslav Vitous 'NYC', etc - mostly the brassy uptempo stuff rather than the laid back grooves which don't stand up so well now IMO

Also a big fan of Greg Wilson - love his 'Credit to the Edit' CD's. See link below to an excellent piece from GW's website about Legend(s) in Manchester as mentioned earlier by Steve:-

http://blog.gregwilson.co.uk/2011/08/legend-manchesters-other-club/

 

Very influenced by Greg and his early playlists .. his spots at the Pier in Wigan where special .. although smaller than Legends it had a really nice atmosphere in there ..

Stuff still gets played .. just more at soulful house sessions , of which there are many still going ..big fest soon in Barnet - North London " SummerSoulsitce "

where Greg Edwards is one of the DJ's

    http://www.summersoulstice.co.uk/event/summer-soulstice-2017/

always a great event with loads of like minded soulies :)

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
34 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Love Rahni Harris, one of my favourite 12"s

Oh yes Chris, and with the 12's playing you can have a sit down in between the next number. :) 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Wonderful Jazz Funk spin - Wilton Felder with the Great Bobby Womack on vocals - Inherit The Wind 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I used to go to The Rio in Didcot, Purley and Brighton all dayers, Didos at the California in Dunstable. In the early day's we would wear mohair jumpers, peg trouser's and winkle picker's I think Hawiian shirt's were popular too. Some of my favourite track's were Delirium - Francine McGee, Shame - Evelyn Champaigne King, Just can't give you up - Mystic Merlyn, Roy Ayres - Running Away and Idris Muhammed - Could heaven ever be like this.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Moved to Peterborough from Oldham in 77 used to go to the Lime Tree pub on a Sunday night, dj Steve Allen, my first experience of the jazz funk scene. Steve later opened an excellent record shop in the city called Discoasis. All dayers at the Fleet, and the Cresset in Bretton. Travelled to Notts Palais dayers and the legendary Purley Tiffanys with the soul mafia djs, Chris Hill, Robbie Vincent et al. Attended the first Caister weekender, unforgettable. Remember the build up from Chris Hill and first playing in the uk of EW&F and Emotions Boogie Wonderland. Awesome. Anyone remember the 'tribes' from around the country? Never forget the Rushden Cavemen who used to attend in Stone Age attire.

Best track from 78:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV4IFQCjD4I

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
37 minutes ago, mark castle said:

Moved to Peterborough from Oldham in 77 used to go to the Lime Tree pub on a Sunday night, dj Steve Allen, my first experience of the jazz funk scene. Steve later opened an excellent record shop in the city called Discoasis. All dayers at the Fleet, and the Cresset in Bretton. Travelled to Notts Palais dayers and the legendary Purley Tiffanys with the soul mafia djs, Chris Hill, Robbie Vincent et al. Attended the first Caister weekender, unforgettable. Remember the build up from Chris Hill and first playing in the uk of EW&F and Emotions Boogie Wonderland. Awesome. Anyone remember the 'tribes' from around the country? Never forget the Rushden Cavemen who used to attend in Stone Age attire.

Best track from 78:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV4IFQCjD4I

Great post Mark, good days. Love Wilbert Longmire - sounded fantastic at the Mecca Memories do a couple of years ago, deffo a track that still stands up

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Remember Discoasis in Cross Street well, used to buy loads of records from there. Went to Slickers at the Cresset a few times. Saw Level 42 in their early days and Light of the World there. 

Another favorite Locksmith

 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Thanks all for the responses so far - really interesting and some great tunes - keep them coming plus any stories about clubs, DJ's, fashions, etc

Given the numbers that were into it at the time, and the affection a lot of folk clearly still have for it, it's surprising there hasn't been some kind of revival, whereas of course now you can't move for northern nights

I'm caught in the middle really - some a bit insipid for me, like something you'd hear on the airport bus lol, however some I absolutely love - Ronnie Laws 'Always There', Bobby Lyle' Genie', Rahni Harris 'Six Million Steps', Atmosfear 'Motivation', Miroslav Vitous 'NYC', etc - mostly the brassy uptempo stuff rather than the laid back grooves which don't stand up so well now IMO

Also a big fan of Greg Wilson - love his 'Credit to the Edit' CD's. See link below to an excellent piece from GW's website about Legend(s) in Manchester as mentioned earlier by Steve:-

http://blog.gregwilson.co.uk/2011/08/legend-manchesters-other-club/

 

Where I live in Kent you don't have go far for a Caister revival night, some of which are equivalent to shit northern oldies nights. Loads of old gits and gals packing the dancefloor to Funkin' For Jamaica and We've Got The Funk regardless of how many thousands of times they've heard it. 

Most of the great, lesser played stuff posted on this thread wouldn't get a look in.

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Robbie Vincent on BBC Sunday night radio was also a great place to hear the new releases.

I remember Players Association and Mike Mandell coming to Sheffield due to the demand for Jazz Funk.

Can't say I liked it all though. Too many instrumentals made worse by being on 12 inch!

 

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 minutes ago, mark castle said:

Another great track recorded in 76 but popular around 78/79 album only. I found a copy in Andy's records Peterborough, album had been deleted so well chuffed.

Donald Byrd - Dominoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMhX4ydSLWA

PS how do I embed a you tube clip?

Great sound Mark, my neighbour had the album and boy he milked it how good Dominoes was. :thumbup: 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

This one went under the radar at the time.

 

Seeing Stanley soon at 229 ... but my fav uptempo track from him was this ....

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Great thread. I  cut my teeth in Essex discos before moving to London '76 where I spent Friday lunchtime at Crackers Wardour St. London. DJ George Power still on the scene. Tunes heard that era but can't remember exact years. Just a faces here.,Linda Clifford Runaway girl, Gypsy woman,Crusaders Street life, Roy Ayers Running away, Boz Scaggs Lowdown, John Miles Slowdown, Cameo Its serious, Bob James Heads,El Coco Let's get together, Evelyn champagne King Shame John Handy Hard work, Benny Golston New killer Joe , War lowrider  Galaxy,Natalie Cole This will be, Ashford & Simpson Seems to hang on, Brick Dazz, Dusic, Benson On Broadway, top two Wilbert Longmire Black is Colour (actually the 4 track 12" is a a total winner, but for me Ingram Mi Sabrina is absolute class. Remember Robbie Vincent Saturday lunchtime Radio London, and Greg Edwards Saturday early evening  Capital radio, also I think Thursday Dave Simmons.   There were also many pirates pre Kiss.I then went north to the Casino, and then a whole new experience began. The southern DJ's were about partying, Northern soul was more about collecting and the music IMO. Great times indeed and many of these are today  still  remembered  with affection.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

This thread got me routing through my sounds last night and finding 12" from back in the day ... and some still get played today as crossover tracks as the beat fits into modern ... 

This one also has a terrific intro ...where I always got wrong trying to guess when the vocals came in 😜

TUNE ! 👍

And we could do with more love nowadays ! 

Edited by stevegods
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Simply a wonderful spin - Keni - Burke's - Rising To The Top  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Bruv
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Somebody mentioned a Jazz Funk revival. It's never really gone away and there's an abundance of soul/jazz funk nights in my area (Essex), but they all play the same records! :)

Someone mentioned the Goldmine (Canvey Island). Wasn't that the JF equivalent to our NS Wigan Casino? Anyone on here venture that far out east?

To me jazz funk is part of the overall Soul scene. Just a different form of soul music and possibly the bridge between disco & modern soul. Too many long 12" instrumentals for me - prefer the wham/bam of an uptempo soul (or disco)  7" anyday!

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
20 hours ago, daved said:

Where I live in Kent you don't have go far for a Caister revival night, some of which are equivalent to shit northern oldies nights. Loads of old gits and gals packing the dancefloor to Funkin' For Jamaica and We've Got The Funk regardless of how many thousands of times they've heard it. 

Most of the great, lesser played stuff posted on this thread wouldn't get a look in.

 

17 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

Somebody mentioned a Jazz Funk revival. It's never really gone away and there's an abundance of soul/jazz funk nights in my area (Essex), but they all play the same records! :)

I suppose I was thinking about the North West / Midlands scene - other than the occasional Colin Curtis Rafters type revival there doesn't seem to be much interest in the North, where clearly back in the day there was 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
15 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

Somebody mentioned a Jazz Funk revival. It's never really gone away and there's an abundance of soul/jazz funk nights in my area (Essex), but they all play the same records! :)

Someone mentioned the Goldmine (Canvey Island). Wasn't that the JF equivalent to our NS Wigan Casino? Anyone on here venture that far out east?

To me jazz funk is part of the overall Soul scene. Just a different form of soul music and possibly the bridge between disco & modern soul. Too many long 12" instrumentals for me - prefer the wham/bam of an uptempo soul (or disco)  7" anyday!

That's what I said earlier Alan about Kent.

soul source url
Social source share
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  1. 200xlps Jazz Jazz Jazz - Bill Evans, Thelonious Monk, Pat Moran
    Sale Websites by McBoingBoing on Fri 19 Oct 2012
    • 2 / 504
    • McBoingBoing on 23 Oct 2012
  2. * Jazz & Funk Lps * Soundtracks - Spy Jazz - Funk - Private - Breaks
    Sale Websites by McBoingBoing on Fri 26 Aug 2011
    • 2 / 529
    • McBoingBoing on 30 Aug 2011
  3. Soviet Music For Sale Funk,jazz,jazz-funk,breaks
    Record Sales by kartofan on Tue 01 Feb 2011
    • 1 / 908
    • kartofan on 01 Feb 2011
  4. 150+ Soul Jazz Funk Jazz Vocals Latin Etc. W/soundclips
    Sale Websites by Deejay OM on Tue 13 Dec 2011
    • 1 / 412
    • Deejay OM on 13 Dec 2011
  5. Modern Soul/boogie/disco/soulful House/jazz-funk/jazz 12"s
    Record Sales by andyrattigan on Sat 06 Mar 2010
    • 1 / 617
    • andyrattigan on 06 Mar 2010
  6. Latin Boogaloo/hammond/mod Jazz / Jazz Funk Etc
    Record Sales by HiTtHeBoNgO on Wed 02 Aug 2006
    • 1 / 981
    • HiTtHeBoNgO on 02 Aug 2006

Related Soul Music Links


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.