• Replies 19
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'd say about  late 1971/ early1972.. .ish

I was going there up to 1971.

Seem to recall Spring Gardens replacing it, but not as good.

That was about 1972

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Just done some digging. 

I'm pretty sure that I started going to Rowntrees, Spring Gardrens after TOTT closed down. I remember going to Rowntrees on New Years eve , 31 December 1971. I know this because we had to be up very early in order to catch a train to London ( West Ham 3 - Manchester United 0), played 1st January 1972.

I would not have gone to Rowntrees if TOTT was still going. So I reckon it closed mid/late 1971.

Social source share

No..TOTT was on Cross Street, 5 minutes from Town Hall/Albert Square.

It was not a 100% soul club, but the majority of the records were.

Garry Laine, the main DJ, played new releases, old classic soul, and clearly there was in put from the Twisted Wheel playlist. He played 6 by 6 on a white pressing/bootleg before EMI / Tamla Motown issued it. Other Wheel sounds were played, a mixture really, you never quite knew what to expect.

But a great atmosphere for like minded young teenagers/early 20s.

Also, Garry ran a  record shop at the entrance to the club. Again, mainly soul, lots of Wheel sounds, Motown, stax, Atlantic and all new soul issues.

Obviously, lots of these records were played in the club.

Happy days indeed. Mind you, Double Diamond seemed to be beer of choice...😕

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I think so. 

I never went to Takis or Bluenote for that matter.

After TOTT closed, a lot of Soulies went to the Pendulum (Crown square initially).

Rowntrees was more pop / disco. Remember being annoyed at the playlist but my mates, who didn't attend TOTT, went there so tagged along.

Funny ...I do remember the DJ at Rowntrees playing Holland/Dozier "Baby don't leave me now", and probably followed by T Rex or Wizard.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Bringing back a lot of memories...

I was 15 in 1970...when I first went to TOTT. No doubt a lot of older guys went there, and then at about midnight , moved  on to the Wheel. As I got a bit older and clued up, I was doing the same...Edwin Starr, Jimmy Ruffin, late 70, early 71. So TOTT had Wheel influences.

The record shop , Spin Inn, was one of the go to shops for the 'new' novelty idea of buying USA imports that seemed to flood into the UK.

(Was there a new  "import policy"  that allowed this? Ralphs's records, Barry's on Black friars....Saturday mornings were spent trawling these wonderful shops, full of exoctic 45s on American labels.

No " Northern Soul" of course...the term wasn't used widely in those days.

Social source share

Great stuff, really interesting reading. Used to live in Mcr so like to hear about the old days there

Just been checking Equals 'Black skin blue eyed boys' on Youtube and one of the comments says 'Mister Smiths, Brazil St, Summer 1970, enough said' - any memories of that club?

Social source share

Guest db121

Mr Smiths started a disco called The Drockiweeney I think in 1970 in addition to their main cabaret club

Social source share

Don't recall Drockiweeny.

Didn't Takis become Rafters? I used to go to their Thursday night sessions (think it was Thursday, about 1972).

That was a definite move into rare " Northern "/Torch sounds. Major Lance appeared there. Also Caroline's on Deansgate in this period.

Social source share

Hi Larry,

I do remember Drokiweeny - seem to think it had a round revolving DJ box - unless that was through too much beer!

Lots of soul was played there as I used to go up to the DJ to ask titles, labels etc.

John.

Edited by john green
Social source share

Guest db121

Takes became Fagins a cabaret place at first I think, Rafters was later in the punk era until it changed to Jazz funk about 78

Top Of Town shut maybe  72 and became Tramps

Edited by db121
Social source share

Fagins ..rings a bell. Was Mike Shaft  a dj there? About 72. 

Remember things like Johnny Moore , Sam and Kitty, Shirley Ellis..the Major of course.

Rafters later...sounds right. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert