J Manship Auction Results 07/06/2017

And the results this week are...........

11815_1sm.jpg11815_1sm.jpg11815_2sm.jpg

Jimmy Vick And The Victors

Take A Trip / I Need Someone

Who was Jimmy Vick??

We are surprised that the mysterious Jimmy Vick & band only seem to have had this solitary 45 released, whilst recording at The Chime studios Hartford, Connecticut. As both sides are inspired sessions, differing genres and both saturated in energy.

Jimmy Vick wrote both sides perfectly suiting his screaming style, The Victors are obviously a highly talented gathering also, as that ear-piercing Vick-vocal rides on a raft of horns, punctuated by a dance prompting bass-guitar breaks. No wonder, in recent time this Boo-Ga-Loo/R&B shouter has risen up into huge demand. Prompting a 2013 reboot… that also pleased Deep Soul scholars as the flipside is a on-your-knees plea for a girlfriend, that all Southern Soul singers would have been proud to put their name to..with The Victor capturing the “Southern” feel so accurately..

this is a 45 to reckon with, offering two memorable sides as Jimmy Vicks vocal bores deep inside..

MORE IMPORTANT in the more than 4 decades I’ve been diggin’ vinyl in New England I’ve never witnessed such immaculate vinyl on this title, on rare occasions I’d be very pleased to find the odd vg copy, with someone named scrawled on both sides, as I knew it would be an instant sell.

This is a record we have never found in this sparkling condition before. The vinyl is a true Mint minus not a blemish X on the a-side label. You are not going to find a finer copy - or indeed a finer Soul Singer who only released one single.

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 106.00

11812_1sm.jpg11812_1sm.jpg11812_2sm.jpg

Sy Hightower

I Know You're Leaving Me

Stunning label, spectacular vinyl, is the vehicle for one the greatest 70s Soulful dance records ever made..

In-your-face-labels, are complimented by an in-your-heart voice, conveying a man’s most despairing moment; when the realization of losing his love, brings out truly deep emotion, skillfully laced through a seamless Rare-Soul dance arrangement.

Sy Hightower is another Soul artist deprived of wider audience due to the financial confines a small independent have to work under. But rescued many years ago by dedicated Soul miners and brought to Europe where instant adulation was waiting.

This disc and the few others in its high calibre status, are the lifeblood of the thriving European Rare Soul scene, which over the years has proved to be the umbilical cord for Sy Hightower wider recognition from places they could not have imagined whilst laying down this premiership slice of Soul.

Now rightly considered one of the all time greats of the style, proving finely crafted music will always break through to an appreciative audience..and flawless records will always be desperately wanted by discerning collectors.

This disc has “it all” including the rarer super-colourful attire…

Spectacular for more reasons than one…

The winning bid was £ 662.00

11809_1sm.jpg11809_1sm.jpg11809_2sm.jpg

George Jackson

Talking About The Love Have For You / I Don't Need You No More

TOP DRAWER!!

Soulful Crossover does not get any finer or more elusive than this Memphis double hitter! Prepare for Soul excellence no matter which side you drop the stylus on.

One of Memphis’s important contributors to the Soul community gets up from behind his highly generative desk and picks up the microphone again proving this man is far more than just an innovative lyricist and producer, he has a beautifully honed Soul vocal too.

This is a record showcasing REAL SOUL, ready to adorn those decidedly dedicated sets that are wooing the British Soul congregation off their comfy Sunday snoozing couches into the the bars and clubs to be caressed by the very finest Soul vinyl can offer.

We lead with the side that offers the Crossover/shuffler sound drenched in emotion that seems so easy for George Jackson to portray, it is his lyrics and the serene delivery that just creeps into your heart…it don’t get no better than this, you’d think..

But flip it over to be ambushed by one of the greatest Soul ballads ever created. It leaves me speechless that such beautiful music, isn’t part of every household.. REAL SOUL delivered by a Memphis-Master At Work!

Now, I need to listen to this piece of genius.. one more time…

The winning bid was £ 445.00

11810_1sm.jpg11810_1sm.jpg11810_2sm.jpg

Tommy Youngblood

I'm A Man / Laid Off My Job Too Long

An insanely RARE Los Angeles Northern Soul R&B from one of the city’s most impressive 60’s artists, his snarling approach to his recordings always leaves you wanting for more..

Check this “impossible” out; it is without doubt not only one of L.A.’s rarest 45’s of the genre..it is also an inspiring testament of defiance, as Tommy rips Willie McEwen’s composition into shreds, aided by barrage of brass, squealing saxophone and an unaccredited Sister with an equally potent vocal presence; unannouced she jumps into the song “That’s Why I Call You Daddy” then steps out again, leaving you anticipating her return, which is a brief curled up lip, right at the end. Tommy went solo, perhaps not wanting this temptress to upstage his growling pledge to be “A Man”

THIS IS R&B Northern Soul as RARE as it can possibly be, and as intrusive as you’ll ever hear..

The flip is great too, but totally eclipsed by the mighty statement of “I’m A Man” ..

An exclusive R&B floor-demolisher awaits..

Still in birth-sleeve and most likely unplayed until it emerged from a dusty corner of the stock room… this is the ONLY copy I’ve ever seen or for that matter ever likely to see - especially PRISTINE!

The winning bid was £ 244.00

11816_1sm.jpg11816_1sm.jpg11816_2sm.jpg

Strides

I Can Get Along ( Without Your Love ) Vocal & Instrumental

One of the very best Detroit Northern Soul dancer that has never thus far, been bootlegged (how refreshing). Even more refreshing is seeing it a few “play lists” lately..

Guided by the steady hands future Motown players Clay McMurray, Mike Theodore & Dennis Coffey construct ideal vocal group Northern Soul, from the hotbed of the sound.

The beseeching lead vocal, makes it “good and plain” he can “Get Along Without Her Love” cradled by some superior backing vocal arrangements, of the level you’d expect from these Motor City young-guns about to break into Hitsville.

As you listen, like me, you will be puzzled why such a quality tune has not reach the heights of any 4 figure NS Grail you care to mention. The arrangement is Northern Soul dancer perfection, the vocals display Soulful teamwork at it very finest… as the pleading label voice rides on the shoulders of a booming Bass vocal, silky harmonies from the rest of the gathering.

Another case of not enough copies in the right place at the right time, for DJ’s to give this class-act the concentrated plays every NS rarity requires to become a Northern Soul classic..

But then you flip it over… WOW! Northern Soul instrumental Heaven awaits..

Two really great sides.. that if, it was just a slightly easier to acquire disc, we’d be looking at a NS Classic today…

It’s not too late to shoot the crowd a neglected rarity drenched in instant dancefloor quality..

The winning bid was £ 240.00

11814_1sm.jpg11814_1sm.jpg11814_2sm.jpg

Larry Wright

Sweet, Sweet Kisses / It's Ok With Me

Now let’s talk serious - the chances of this gorgeous Detroit rarity being found in the wild are akin to encountering a Black Rhino in Tesco’s car park…

and that Rhino would have had to have just emerged straight from the “Poodle Parlor” because Larry Wright looks like it has just arrived from the Detroit Columbia pressing plant.

Really rare record acquiring is one thing, but to find this wondrous double Motor City hitter in chaste condition, is more than remarkable.

Check out the pristine labels, be assured this could easier enter the Christmas Manship-Mint parade.. I’ll never see a finer copy..

Click the soundfile, prepare to be blown-away not once but twice.. then act accordingly..

A listing for those who care about condition and drawn towards validated rarity!

The winning bid was £ 1,336.00

11817_1sm.jpg11817_1sm.jpg11817_2sm.jpg

Cleveland Robinson

Work Song / A Man Gets Tired

The mighty Cleveland Robinson takes Nat Adderley’s much cloned classic, adding another dimension to an already fabulous song.

Few possess one of those richly coated vocals that immediately tunnel into your being, Ray Pollard, Tony Middleton, Jimmy Ricks spring to mind, but after that a comparable to Cleveland stutters in my mind…

Take a listen how he stamps his very own brand onto the “classic” song. That controlled rasp deep inside the throat can in an instant morph into a sultry purr..backed by well directed horn and percussion, this song is a behemoth of our sound..

But wait! Flip it over and I think the flipside pips it at the post. A record we have all been guilty of overlooking in our haste to play the “obvious”.

“A Man Gets Tired” is 100% a D.I.Y. work from this multi-talented Soul individual. Fresh to my ears and steeped in obvious potential as a “new-drop” with huge possibilities..

Two great sides offering the winner so much to work with.. not to mention the pristine vinyl and label..

The winning bid was £ 221.00

11807_1sm.jpg11807_1sm.jpg11807_2sm.jpg

Toys

Can't Get Enough Of You Baby

The lure of the British Red & White DEMO.

Another Denny Randell and Sandy Linzer creation that ticks all the Northern Soul boxes. Strangely issued as a B-side, quite puzzling as this recording is as good as 60’s girl-group dance gets.

Having said that it has for decades sat high in the British collectors appreciation rankings, without ever reaching the dizzy heights of other 45s from that great vintage year of 1966.

Take listen, to be reminded of just how dynamic this NS tune is, many will go scurrying after a copy, and probably be lucky enough to snag a USA Dynovoice copy or if your really lucky a clean British Stateside issue…but the turntable cam head turner Red & White DEMO you have to swoop upon if you ever encounter it…

Incredibly rare, a oh so beautiful, for a record that once wider known, will rocket in value and demand..

This copy is flawless!

The winning bid was £ 58.00

11808_1sm.jpg11808_1sm.jpg11808_2sm.jpg

Ad-libs

I Don't Need No Fortune Teller

A flawless copy - with the labels the RIGHT way round!

This seasoned gathering draw from their vast harmony experience to serve up one of the finest non-disco recordings to emerge from the “East Coast” after the mid-seventies “Big Apple” demolition of the Soul Sound.

The main Ad-Lib John Taylor collaborates with “Super K” producer Jeff Katz bypassing all surrounding “dance” influences, creating a true to Soul dancer of the very highest order. A finger-clicking production, that from the first zing of the piano, sets off on an irresistible journey of Rare Soul Dance. Displaying impeccable harmonies rebounding off each with the level of expertise it takes decades to perfect.

The injection of brass enriches the session, with John Taylor unable to resist showing off his extreme talent with the Sax..and that pianist keeps the prompting the mix, the voices blend, the brass blows….oh my…

this is BRILLIANT!!!

The winning bid was £ 392.00

11819_1sm.jpg11819_1sm.jpg11819_2sm.jpg

Wallace Brothers

Lover's Prayer / Love Me Like I Love You

Music to the ears of British Soul 45 collector are two words “Sue” “Mint”

We are not talking flavors here, we are the endless quest for SUE completion in the finest possible condition.

This elusive number 355 has two “Ariel” clean label not even a speck to avert the eye from it’s crystal clean beauty and vinyl that has not had more than just a cursory play..strong Mint - in both aspects.

A highly regarded trio renowned for 7 years of tortured Soul ballads, emotionally conveyed to the nth degree, these guys did Deep Soul to unfathomable levels of despair.

Both sides appear on the fable “impossible” Sue Album 950, an LP so rare it’s on “dream” wish lists only. The single in this bar-raising condition is not far behind it.

So take a listen to 3 guys who do Soul like no other trio..

The winning bid was £ 64.00

11811_1sm.jpg11811_1sm.jpg11811_2sm.jpg

Teena Marie

Behind The Groove / I Need Your Lovin'

Collect British Tamla Motown?

It’s an incurable addiction once you start accumulating those TMG’s, the recordsickness slowly but surely overwhelms you.. as running the British Motown labels, is a relentless labour of love trying to complete those numbers, some of which, are for no apparent reason absurdly RARE!

So now go check your run for TMG 1385, we are betting this space is empty. as TMG 1385 is one of those inexplicable TMG that never sold a bean, and is on the TMG endangered radar.

In 1985 UK RCA in their rush to capitalize on the newly acquired Tamla Motown catalog, flooded the market with re-releases of EMI previously successful 45’s. Making available back catalog by the truck load, one such promotion was titled “A MOTOWN CLASSIC SINGLE” gloriously bedecked with an unique special 4 colour sleeve.

TMG 1385 was the worst selling of all the 20 singles released under this series. Today it happens to be one of the very rarest TMG’s.

This copy is flawless and still inside it’s birth-sleeve. If you seriously want to complete that tantalizing TMG run, this number is imperative and a darn challenging little critter to capture.. 

The winning bid was £ 48.00

11820_1sm.jpg11820_1sm.jpg11820_2sm.jpg11820_3sm.jpg11820_4sm.jpg

Miracles

The Fabulous Miracles

Fabulous is the only word!

This 1964 original British press is fabulous on the eye…

the laminated flipback cover is as flawless as you could ever wish for, an ultra mild crease top right corner is it’s only blemish. (see scan) you may have to squint…

Two Labels are perfection itself, housed in original “birth” rice-paper lined inner sleeve.

Vinyls are so close to Mint -

A-side vinyls, I’m unable to find ever the lightest blemish to grade below Mint - B-side vinyl, has a very mild surface brush on the last lack “On The Street Where You Live” which does no affect play. Strong Ex + as the rest of the B-side is a totally clean Mint minus.

The full group shot front cover, is Album-art at it’s most impressive; Featuring Claudette and all 4 male members, this was to be the last time the full group were to adorn album cover together, and easily the clearest picture of the full group ever featured..

Track listing is impressive, check out the soundfile which includes the highly rated “If Your Mother Only Knew” it’s only issue in the UK was track 3. side two..

An Album about the “art” the Music and of course the stand-out condition.. which we have not encountered in recent memory..

The winning bid was £ 131.00

Copyright © John Manship Records.

Privacy Policy

Edited by bo diddley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic