A New Find On The Mickay's Record Label

Just acquired this Haystak Bros. 45. Almost have the entire label now. Still missing The Other Kind Band (yellow label) 45 and Big George - Hi Ho Silver (pink label I believe) 45.

Has anybody seen this or the Big George record before??? Love to hear some feedback or info..

Haystak Bros. 

What Have I Done Wrong 

Love Makes The World Go Round

Sounds to me that Mel Anton is singing with few other people on both sides. 

IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

Social source share

So, Mel Anton and some others are singing.  Is it C&W, Pop or Soul style?  Haystack Brothers signifies C&W to me.  Interesting that James Jamerson is one of the writers.  He had been in Joe Hunter's band, and that is why he worked with Fred Brown and Joe Hunter's Kable and Mickay's Records.

Social source share

Haystak Bros - Love Makes The World Go Round - Mickays

Johnny Adams - Some Day - Watch

J.J. Barnes - Hold On To It - Revilot

Hulie & Tiffs - The Name Of The Game Is Love - Soulville SOLD

Thanks For Looking

Des

Edited July 4, 2011 by SOUL.INC

Near the bottom of Des's List

Kirsty

Edited by Gold Band
didn't show whole page
Social source share

5 hours ago, djspproductions said:

Well the name is spelled different than Jamerson, could be him just under a different monikor. It's has a hint of country but honestly has a slight soul swing to both cuts.

Jamerson's name has been spelt "Jameson", and "Jamison" on several records.  It's a common name with both those spellings, and a natural mistake.  I think it's too much of a coincidence to have the first name start with a "J", last name "Jamison", and James Jamerson was a member of Mickay's and Kable's band leader and arranger, Joe Hunter's band, as well as his good friend, and also had been known to record with Hunter for Ed Wingate's labels, Wilbur Golden's labels, and several other non-Motown Detroit labels while both were moonlighting together.

Social source share

2 hours ago, RobbK said:

Jamerson's name has been spelt "Jameson", and "Jamison" on several records.  It's a common name with both those spellings, and a natural mistake.  I think it's too much of a coincidence to have the first name start with a "J", last name "Jamison", and James Jamerson was a member of Mickay's and Kable's band leader and arranger, Joe Hunter's band, as well as his good friend, and also had been known to record with Hunter for Ed Wingate's labels, Wilbur Golden's labels, and several other non-Motown Detroit labels while both were moonlighting together.

Yes I see what you mean, it most likely is the man with the HOOK! Here goes a sample clip of both sides so y'all can give it a listen.

haystak brothers - mickay's records 45 side a, b_mixdown.mp3

Social source share

I listened to the 2 snippets.  They sound like C&W to me.  Perhaps a bit watered down (e.g. Country Pop?).  Mel Anton was sort of a Pop singer, who sometimes sang pop with a slight R&B/Soul slant or a slight C&W slant.  The R&B/Soul slant came particularly because Fred Brown and Joe Hunter's crew was mostly R&B and Soul writers, and their musicians were mostly Joe Hunters' ex band members (Funk Brothers), plus other Motown musicians, all moonlighting.  I can't recognise Jamerson's line on these cuts, but I'd bet that he played on them.

Social source share

12 hours ago, RobbK said:

Detroit's English teachers were strong on similes and weak on spelling!

Social source share

8 minutes ago, soulhawk said:

I found the Big George in one of my loose boxes... it's on Kable, not Mickays

That's really cool. The soulful kinda music site has it listed under Mickay's. would you be willing to let it go to me?? Would love to complete my Kable releases then. I thought I had all of the Kable cuts!!  

Social source share

8 minutes ago, soulhawk said:

I found the Big George in one of my loose boxes... it's on Kable, not Mickays

That's really cool. The soulful kinda music site has it listed under Mickay's. would you be willing to let it go to me?? Would love to complete my Kable releases then. I thought I had all of the Kable cuts!!  

Social source share

• 3 years later...
6 minutes ago, David Meikle said:

Thanks for finding this thread which I missed.

I can undertand the need to find the Haystack Bros 45 but what a bland song!

Found the yellow one on youtube and I like it a lot.

yep pretty awful mate and it promised so much haha, thank god the postage is too much to buy records blind these days!

Social source share

6 hours ago, David Meikle said:

Thanks for finding this thread which I missed.

I can undertand the need to find the Haystack Bros 45 but what a bland song!

Found the yellow one on youtube and I like it a lot.

This has something, enough for me to buy one anyway

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!