Re-issues/bootlegs With Photostat Labels

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-NOLAN-CH...1QQcmdZViewItem

Apologies if this has already been referred to.

I've noticed this seller on Ebay churning out this stuff on a regular basis and getting IMO very high bids. Has he hit on a sure-fire money spinner or is it somehow unethical. I note that his opening bid is $9.99 which at roughly £6 is around or perhaps even under the going rate for a current re-issue or UK release and he is not forcing anyone to pay over that.

I can't help feeling "good luck to him" but it does raise serious questions about the mental capacity of some of his customers.

ROD

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've noticed this seller on Ebay churning out this stuff on a regular basis and getting IMO very high bids. Has he hit on a sure-fire money spinner or is it somehow unethical. I note that his opening bid is $9.99 which at roughly £6 is around or perhaps even under the going rate for a current re-issue or UK release and he is not forcing anyone to pay over that.

I can't help feeling "good luck to him" but it does raise serious questions about the mental capacity of some of his customers.

ROD

Hey Rod,

That one looks like a bargain compared to this little beauty........

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...14006%26fvi%3D1

:D

Social source share

Hey Rod,

That one looks like a bargain compared to this little beauty........

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...14006%26fvi%3D1

:D

Crikey, that's unbelievable :D . I guess you can't say the sellers are conning anyone as they're totally up front in the descriptions. How and why would anyone pay £139 for a reissue?! Or even £39 or even £19....

Rich

Social source share

I did notice that but it's not a 45 I particularly am interested in so I didn't know if by "re-issue" it referred to it coming out twice by Southbound Freeway and Tony Galla. I think that's right isn't it?

So it's an actual bootleg/re-issue?

There was a bidding war going on between an Irish guy and an Italian judging from bid history.

ROD

Social source share

Crikey, that's unbelievable :D . I guess you can't say the sellers are conning anyone as they're totally up front in the descriptions. How and why would anyone pay £139 for a reissue?! Or even £39 or even £19....

Rich

Tempted to contact the buyer but I get the feeling they may say.." You what?,what's a re issue durr"............ :D

Social source share

ROD

I mentioned this very thing yesterday. Couldn't believe it. Not him, he's describing them correctly, I mean the fools who buy them.

Social source share

I did notice that but it's not a 45 I particularly am interested in so I didn't know if by "re-issue" it referred to it coming out twice by Southbound Freeway and Tony Galla. I think that's right isn't it?

So it's an actual bootleg/re-issue?

There was a bidding war going on between an Irish guy and an Italian judging from bid history.

ROD

Yeah, that's the boot Rod, the proper yellow label design has blue writing, not black. £139 for a boot - aaaggghh!!!!!

Rich

Social source share

So far no one's got a bad word to say for the guy and IMO I think he's stumbled on something that I've thought about for years. If you're gonna re-issue or boot something then why not take the time and trouble to duplicate the original release or label.

I guess it's down to cost but by way of example what if Adey instead of putting out Lorraine Chandler "You live only once" on the give-away Kent label had issued it as a WDJ on RCA. I know copyright etc but how much better would that look if pressed as a USA 45. He had the rights anyway.I wonder if it crossed his mind or have I got too much time on my hands.

ROD

Social source share

So far no one's got a bad word to say for the guy and IMO I think he's stumbled on something that I've thought about for years. If you're gonna re-issue or boot something then why not take the time and trouble to duplicate the original release or label.

I guess it's down to cost but by way of example what if Adey instead of putting out Lorraine Chandler "You live only once" on the give-away Kent label had issued it as a WDJ on RCA. I know copyright etc but how much better would that look if pressed as a USA 45. He had the rights anyway.I wonder if it crossed his mind or have I got too much time on my hands.

ROD

I think Ady chose the format as a celebration of the 100 Clubs anniversaries Rod. It sure worked too. Instead of getting lost in the plethora of reissues/unissued stuff issues the 45s have become collectors items in themselves. Full sets are now the order of the day. Smart cookie that Horace! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

I think Ady chose the format as a celebration of the 100 Clubs anniversaries Rod. It sure worked too. Instead of getting lost in the plethora of reissues/unissued stuff issues the 45s have become collectors items in themselves. Full sets are now the order of the day. Smart cookie that Horace! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

I have to agree with that. Soul City label for 2006.

Here's another from Souldude

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-DARRELL-...1QQcmdZViewItem

ROD

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

ROD

Hi Rod,

RCA (or Sony BMG, as the parent company's now called) retain the rights to the track, not Kent - Ady and Ace merely licensed the master for use on that giveaway 45 and the CD, not the label design. RCA/HMV's 'Dog And Trumpet' logo are well protected by worldwide copyright laws, and that's why said logo doesn't appear anywhere on any of Ady's Rare, Collectable & Soulful CDs (or any other legal CD reissue of RCA material)

Best,

TONY :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Rod,

RCA (or Sony BMG, as the parent company's now called) retain the rights to the track, not Kent - Ady and Ace merely licensed the master for use on that giveaway 45 and the CD, not the label design. RCA/HMV's 'Dog And Trumpet' logo are well protected by worldwide copyright laws, and that's why said logo doesn't appear anywhere on any of Ady's Rare, Collectable & Soulful CDs (or any other legal CD reissue of RCA material)

Best,

TONY biggrin.gif

Hate to disagree with you there Tony, but the dog and trumpet logo appears in both RCA CDs, on the inside back page, as part of the RCA label scans (Or does this not count ?)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!