Blue-eyed Soul?

38 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Not sure I ever heard this played at a Northern soul night?

Is it big in your neck of the woods?

Ed

Here in Spain Los Bravos were authentic legends. The three anthems by them were "Black Is Black", "Los Chicos con las Chicas" and "Bring A Little Lovin". Were in the airwaves constantly and at TV and also they made a film called "Los Chicos con las Chicas". Many soul aficionados and some musical critics recognize them jointly with Los Canarios and Los Pop Tops feat. Phil Trim as their first "black music" influences in the late 60's - first 70's and I remember Mike Kennedy in an interview saying how he admired Joe Tex and Covay. I was aged around 7 - 8 years old when "Black Is Black" smashed. Much after at the disco were I worked as barman in my student years the DJ's played the cover by the euro-disco female trio Belle Époque.

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
41 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Chicago - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? - from the Mecca I believe (Les Cokell loved this).

The MBs Another Day - rare as hell, but it really DOES sound like the sodding Merseybeats! 

Dx

the MB's is very nice

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

36 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Old youth club sound...

Ed

This track is fantastic and so "soulful". I have it from my teens in a compilation by spanish K-Tel label (a collection year by year from 1960 to first 70s' called "Jukebox Revival"), I purchased the volume dedicated to the year 1968 because includes "I Can't Stop Dancin'" by Archie Bell & The Drells and "Sleep Away" by Clarence Carter but I was immediately impressed by the track by The O'Kaysons, and also by the (IMHO) highly soul flavored "Stormy" by Classic IV feat. Dennis Yost (a white group on wich the only black member is the sax player) and by another great "blue eyed soul" track by GARY PUCKETT, "Lady Willpower" (in fact I have seen soul compilations CD's including this track):

Edited by josep manuel concernau robles
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
17 minutes ago, the yank said:

Great Blue Eyed Soul from Philly with lead vocals from a young Darryl Hall. Reminds me a lot of the Ringleaders' "Baby What Has Happened ...". 

temptones.jpg

he copied the 'in sound' pretty good

Social source share

Thanks for your correction about Ben Aiken, Tomangoes. I remember when at Soulfuldetroit forum there was this same discussion and somebody explains about some white male vocalist on Philly Groove (or I don't well recall,...?). On Philly Groove there was (I think) some single by the late white singer - songwriter Linda Creed.

Thanks also to Soul - Slider, but I don't knows nothing about Ben Atkins before your post.

Social source share

2 hours ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Thanks for your correction about Ben Aiken, Tomangoes. I remember when at Soulfuldetroit forum there was this same discussion and somebody explains about some white male vocalist on Philly Groove (or I don't well recall,...?). On Philly Groove there was (I think) some single by the late white singer - songwriter Linda Creed.

Thanks also to Soul - Slider, but I don't knows nothing about Ben Atkins before your post.

Ben Atkins & The Nomads

5a69d9f986d82_benatkinsnomads.thumb.jpg.b483bb7f9cce8e33dd7eea471c8295f5.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

. I remember when at Soulfuldetroit forum there was this same discussion and somebody explains about some white male vocalist on Philly Groove (or I don't well recall,...?). On Philly Groove there was (I think) some single by the late white singer - songwriter Linda Creed.

You might have been thinking of this singer who had a 45 on Philly Groove- "One Fine Day" / "Merry Go Round" on Philly Groove #178

lasley.jpg

Edited by the yank
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
17 hours ago, Majy said:

It's NOT what I would call Northern but it gets a spin at a few places.

works better on this video, always liked the song but not expecting to hear at Cleethorpes in June but who knows

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

first heard played on Searling's Cellarfull of Soul radio show in early 2000's when Levine stood in one week, took a while to get a copy

miserable lyrics about a dead lover, I like it though

Edited by Shufflin
typo
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
23 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Yes but that video is Moloko.

I posted it as Majy said " It's NOT what I would call Northern.." and he was right ofc, just wanted to post the "Northern" video for interest

nice edit btw

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

this one was a surprise to me when I first heard it last year, - not an Elvis fan particularly but this is nice

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share