Blue-eyed Soul?

Just putting together a 'Blue-eyed Soul' compilation CD and was wondering whether I could include these Northern classics? I'm guessing they are white artists?

Ronnie & Robyn 

Cobblestone?

Ben Zine?

Paula Durante?

The Jades (I'm Where It's At)?

Wombat?

Living Color / Mystery ? Men (Thank The Lord For Love)?

Dawn (Love Is A Magic Word) or the other Dawn (I Believe They're All Talking About Me)?

William Bonny?

Edited by Soul-Slider
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ok here's a few in no particular order:-  Rufus Lumley:- Im  Standing   Paul Anka :-      I can't help loving you . The Crow   :-  Your autumn of tomorrow .Van  Morrison:- Domino   Lynne Randall :- Stranger in my arms.Bobby Parris  :- I walked away, Night Owl ,Personally.                         Barbara Mills:- Queen of fools .    Dusty Springfield:- What's it gonna be. Babe Ruth:- Elusive                        Benny Troy:- I wanna give you tomorrow.   Frankie&Johnny:- I'll hold you.  Michael Mc Donald :-Sweet Freedom.  Lisa Stansfield :- All around theworld MitchRyder&the Detroit wheels :-Breakout, You get your kicks           Chris Clark :-Loves gone bad              Bob Brady & the Con Chords :- Everybody's going to the love in, More More More of your love              Connie Clark :- My Sugar Baby          Spencer Davis Group :- Gimme some Lovin, Trampoline                     Shades of blue :- Oh how happy                   Regards Fred                                                     

Edited by Mr Fred
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

Just putting together a 'Blue-eyed Soul' compilation CD and was wondering whether I could include these Northern classics? I'm guessing they are white artists?

Living Color / Mystery ? Men (Thank The Lord For Love)?

Living Color are surely a black group? Apart from the fact that they sound black, the record has solid Chicago soul producers on both sides. I also think you're going off a bootleg as City Skies is a different 45. The flip of Thank the Lord is Gotta Good Feeling, which again sounds black. City Skies is instrumental and I've never yet come across a way of determining whether session musicians are blue eyed just by listening....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, britishbarry said:

The Poets - Wrapped around your finger, I've got two Hearts, She Blew a Good Thing.

Magnificent Men- All your Loving's Gone to my Head, I've got News

Outsider's - Time won't let me

Newbeats - Run baby Run

The Poets!!! No way?? :ohmy:  Are you getting mixed up with the British 'Poets' who were from Scotland?

Edited by Soul-Slider
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

The Poets!!! No way?? :ohmy:  Are you getting mixed up with the British 'Poets' who were from Scotland?

There is a photo on one of the youtube clips of the Poets blew a good thing which shows a white group.  The Poets on Red Bird are black and went on to become Main Ingredient.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

There is a photo on one of the youtube clips of the Poets blew a good thing which shows a white group.  The Poets on Red Bird are black and went on to become Main Ingredient.

If you're talking about this one chalky, it does explain in the comments that they are using a photo of the British group.

I would say, if they are referring to the picture below, with the high trousers and white socks it actually looks like a group of circa 1979/80 Mod revivalists.

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

4 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Living Color are surely a black group? Apart from the fact that they sound black, the record has solid Chicago soul producers on both sides. I also think you're going off a bootleg as City Skies is a different 45. The flip of Thank the Lord is Gotta Good Feeling, which again sounds black. City Skies is instrumental and I've never yet come across a way of determining whether session musicians are blue eyed just by listening....

I was going to say that!

Social source share

3 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

If you're talking about this one chalky, it does explain in the comments that they are using a photo of the British group.

I would say, if they are referring to the picture below, with the high trousers and white socks it actually looks like a group of circa 1979/80 Mod revivalists.

I didn't read the comments just remembered the photo. The Poets on Symbol, none of the members were in main ingredient. 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

Yes, that's The Purple Hearts

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In the comments below this is a link to a picture of the poets.

i tried to link it 3 times but for some reason a different picture comes through.

its the 2nd link from zerosprite response...

Edited by dylan
Social source share

The Rivieras, Greater Experience, Anthony & Aqualads, Ron Moody & Centaurs, Embers, Berkshire 7, Athens Rogues, The Generation, Bob Collins & Fab Five, The Chantells, In-Men Ltd. and 8 million other Va / Carolinas / Georgia bands.

However, doing it right and obtaining licencing of these for an official blue eyed soul CD comp (if the idea is for anything other than personal use) is a whole other kettle of fish...

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Literally hundreds of tracks feat. white vocalists, but mentioning Dawn  - don't forget the fantastic Northern (old Wigan biggie)  '  Baby's gone away ' on ABC  -  what a super 60's dance floor stormer, why do you never hear it out ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Presumably this is a CD for yourself rather than commercial release? To me, 'blue eyed soul' is where you clearly have a white singing voice with a soulful backing track for example the Outsiders, Tom Jones, loads of Beach Music sounds etc. Some of the tracks referred to in the thread are so 'black sounding', they can hardly be classed as 'blue eyed', and in fact, are so embedded as classic soul sounds, no one would regard them as 'blue eyed'.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
typos
Social source share

41 minutes ago, dylan said:

In the comments below this is a link to a picture of the poets.

i tried to link it 3 times but for some reason a different picture comes through.

its the 2nd link from zerosprite response...

Thats Terry Hall and the specials aint it?

• Helpful 1
Social source share