Blue-eyed Soul?

27 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Presumably this is a CD for yourself rather than commercial release? To me, 'blue eyed soul' is where you clearly have a white singing voice with a soulful backing track for example the Outsiders, Tom Jones, loads of Beach Music sounds etc. Some of the tracks referred to in the thread are so 'black sounding', they can hardly be classed as 'blue eyed', and in fact, are so embedded as classic soul sounds, no one would regard them as 'blue eyed'.

A record can be classed as blue eyed and a classic soul sound.

why not ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

All of these can go on your CD-

1) Joey Heatherton- "When You Call Me Baby"

2) Nancy Ames- "I Don't Want To Talk About It"

3) Evie Sands- "Picture Me Gone"

4) R. Dean Taylor- "There's A Ghost In My House"

5) Frankie Valli /  Four Seasons "You're Ready Now" , "The Night" etc.

6) Beverly Ann- "You've Got Your Mind On Other Things"

7) Holly St. James- "That's Not Love"

8) April Stevens- "Wanting You"

9) Michael and Raymond- "A Man Without A Woman"

10) Spiral Starecase- "More Today Than Yesterday"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, dylan said:

A record can be classed as blue eyed and a classic soul sound.

why not ?

True. But 'blue eyed' usually means soulful despite being overtly white. When obviously 'blue eyed', more often than not it is regarded as slightly inferior than if it was an out and out black sounding vocal. Most of the time, classic soul tracks sound so black, irrespective of the artist, that the listener does not even consider they may be hearing someone who is not black.

Social source share

On 6/8/2017 at 21:54, chalky said:

Cobblestone became Magic Night on Roulette if that helps in anyway

I believe they were also Vito & the Salutations, of whom there are plenty of pictures. If that's right, they're blue-eyed. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Mach said:

They were all black. The juxtaposition I always felt though was that on this particular 45 (both sides actually) they sound more like the white garage bands of the eastern seaboard at the time! Superb record though irrespective of labelling.

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Windlesoul said:

They were all black. The juxtaposition I always felt though was that on this particular 45 (both sides actually) they sound more like the white garage bands of the eastern seaboard at the time! Superb record though irrespective of labelling.

RE- Bob Marshall & The Crystals - Now that has surprised me! I have the 45 and did stack it ready for the CD (for personal use only btw).

What about Chris Cerf - Sweet Music (Amy)?

..also, wasn't 'The Soul Communicaters 'Those Lonely Nights' a white group lead by Chuck Corby?

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soul-Slider said:

RE- Bob Marshall & The Crystals - Now that has surprised me! I have the 45 and did stack it ready for the CD (for personal use only btw).

..also, wasn't 'The Soul Communicaters 'Those Lonely Nights' a white group lead by Chuck Corby?

Chris yes, the Sesame St guy

Re Soul Communicators there's a thread on SS here somewhere that links Chuck Corby to them

Bob - I'll upload a pic or two as proof! There's one of them performing at a high school dance and another from the back of their LP

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soul-Slider said:

7 minutes ago, Windlesoul said:

Chris yes, the Sesame St guy

Re Soul Communicators there's a thread on SS here somewhere that links Chuck Corby to them

Bob - I'll upload a pic or two as proof! There's one of them performing at a high school dance and another from the back of their LP

Chuck Corby was definitely white and The Soul Communicators was him on lead.

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/honey-let-him-stay/Content?oid=1338850

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Charlie Gracie - He'll Never Love You Like I Do is a blue eyed classic and imo it is, and always was a horrible sound. Utopias - Girls Are Against Me is another classic which I rate very highly and to many others is a horrible sound, but mentioned above is Timi Yuro which imo is the ultimate example of a blue eyed classic.

One that I've been getting into lately is Charlie Rich - Don't Tear Me Down, wonder if this will ever become a classic.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 9 juin 2017 at 10:40, chalky said:

There is a photo on one of the youtube clips of the Poets blew a good thing which shows a white group.  The Poets on Red Bird are black and went on to become Main Ingredient.

A photo of the Dexy's Midnight Runners as well and everything else that can go. Youtube is like Wikipedia, don't take it for a source, it's "fed" by "John Doe". The Poets on Symbol are black. 

Social source share

Jackie Trent, Linda Lloyd, Lorraine Silver, Dana Gillespie, Chris Montez, Temptones, Paula Parfitt, Beverly (Bremmers) Ann, Shane Martin, Velvet Satins, Bonnie Herman, Chapter 5, John Drevars Expression, Rare Bread, Susan Farrah, Judy Street, Evie Sands, Johnny Vanelli, Barbara Dane, Helen Shapiro, Paul Anka, and we could go on and on and on, 40% of everything played at Wigan? and I don't mean that in a bad way, love it! 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On 8.6.2017 at 21:28, Soul-Slider said:

Just putting together a 'Blue-eyed Soul' compilation CD and was wondering whether I could include these Northern classics? I'm guessing they are white artists?

Ronnie & Robyn 

Cobblestone?

Ben Zine?

Paula Durante?

The Jades (I'm Where It's At)?

Wombat?

Living Color / Mystery ? Men (Thank The Lord For Love)?

Dawn (Love Is A Magic Word) or the other Dawn (I Believe They're All Talking About Me)?

William Bonny?

any chance to get one of these?

On 8.6.2017 at 21:28, Soul-Slider said:

Social source share

Wombat were (are) a country rock band the video below is them today. Joe Cryer (writerr of Gettin') emailed me recently confirming this. He is the drummer. Most people quote the record label as Gemini it is not, GEMNI is the label but our eyes deceive us!

watch the video and you will see other Gemni records on the wall.

Edited by jim g
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Gary Lewis and the Playboys

Samantha Jones

Shiela Anthony?

The Silver Bullet Band

California In Crowd

Mike Post

The Shakers

Los Carnious

George Carrow

Dana Valery

etc. etc.

in the first issue of the Top 500 book by Kev Roberts, I counted 20 to 25%were blue eyed that I knew

• Helpful 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, tlscapital said:

A photo of the Dexy's Midnight Runners as well and everything else that can go. Youtube is like Wikipedia, don't take it for a source, it's "fed" by "John Doe". The Poets on Symbol are black. 

Yep I posted the photo also of the Symbol group

Social source share

2 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Talking of white geezers,  we were in London watching Fenella Fielding's spoken word show yesterday and I spotted this among the old publicity photos at the Phoenix Artists Club...

IMG_2379.JPG

Welcome back Godz. Began to wonder if you'd become extinct

• Helpful 1
Social source share