Blue-eyed Soul?

2 hours ago, chalky said:

Isn't he Irish?

As opposed to white? - you been watching The Commitments Chalky :lol:
Seriously though, I think we all said that back in the day. Can't remember what evidence there was, though, if any. Billboard refers to him as 'British talent' in 1960.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pretty sure these are all "blue eyed", but Soul is debatable. Having said that, only the first four sound as dire as they did back in the day, the rest dont seem so abysmal now!

Christy Allen Walk Tall Like A Man    Seeds Pushin too Hard    Bobby Jason Wall To Wall Heartaches    Marion Sodd Permanent Vacation    Shirttails I Want You To Stay With Me    Traits Too Good To Be True    Empires Youre On Top Girl (Does nothing for me but i appreciate its the dogs b for many)   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, soulatthedale said:

Pretty sure these are all "blue eyed", but Soul is debatable. Having said that, only the first four sound as dire as they did back in the day, the rest dont seem so abysmal now!

Christy Allen Walk Tall Like A Man    Seeds Pushin too Hard    Bobby Jason Wall To Wall Heartaches    Marion Sodd Permanent Vacation    Shirttails I Want You To Stay With Me    Traits Too Good To Be True    Empires Youre On Top Girl (Does nothing for me but i appreciate its the dogs b for many)   

Agree, the last 3 are great tracks (imo), Shirtails in my collection, with pic sleeve... other 2 a bit harder to obtain, of the many bands called The Traits, the lot you mentioned had Roy Head on lead vocals.

the-shirtails-i-want-you-to-stay-with-me-date.thumb.jpg.63b325de566fc2c3be346dc389e17440.jpg

Social source share

On 2017-6-9 at 11:22, Soul-Slider said:

If you're talking about this one chalky, it does explain in the comments that they are using a photo of the British group.

I would say, if they are referring to the picture below, with the high trousers and white socks it actually looks like a group of circa 1979/80 Mod revivalists.

the group in this picture are Purple Hearts a 1979 mod revival band from romford

Social source share

5 hours ago, chalky said:

I never had the Empires down as a white group? Anyone have any details?

Me neither. I doubt very very much that. They could be another mishmash color group, but the vocal works on here are way to souple, dynamic and sure IMHO to be "blue eyed". And I love my blue eyed soul from time to time. To prove I'm not dissing "my race" I have the 3 single of Silky Hargreaves amongst others...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

Update: the pic above is an earlier doo wop group. However here's one of the group who recorded for the Chavis/Candi Delaware based labels...

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 18.40.53.png

Must admit, Dl Thomas does look very much like the one on the left in the earlier picture? Could be the same group.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

When / Where was this played?

Its about the worst example I've heard so far on this topic, and the first time I've ever heard it also.

Ed

Presume you are talking about Nightwatch 'Lips To Your Heart' ? I remember it all over East Anglia in the early 1980's. Always presumed it was a Wigan oldie?

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
50 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Aren't we into the realms of appalling pop-sh*te that we should be ashamed was ever played rather than 'blue eyed soul' here?

Who the hell played that out,  behind closed doors  in a lunatic asylum maybe ?   The so called strange world of n\s ?😱👎

Social source share

Paula Durante is definitely white, and of American Italian extraction; I  met her and her Producer / Manager Tommy Calandra many years ago. On the 2 8 x 10 black and white 60's photos I have of her she looks like Helen Shapiro etc, complete with Beehive etc.

There is in fact quite a funny story re her ethnicity.We agreed to meet on the car park of some Burger King or similar. A while later a car matching the description of hers appeared but kept driving around and around. As it turned out later, she was apparently looking for and expecting a white Englishman and I was expecting a black American woman.lol. A  Lovely lady and a good friend of Holly Maxwell.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete
3 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Exactly Peter, shite was played back then and continues to be played today.  

Surely the people that played that kind of pony back in the day can't be involved in the wonderful world of soulful music now, because surely they would be lambasted by anyone with an ounce of knowledge or feeling for soulful music  . bandwagoners spring to mind 🎶🎶

Social source share

34 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Surely the people that played that kind of pony back in the day can't be involved in the wonderful world of soulful music now, because surely they would be lambasted by anyone with an ounce of knowledge or feeling for soulful music  . bandwagoners spring to mind 🎶🎶

I think you'll find that back in the day the local chemist shop had more to do with dance floor reaction than soul ever did. Not to denounce the many, many great soul records that were played.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

I think you'll find that back in the day the local chemist shop had more to do with dance floor reaction than soul ever did. Not to denounce the many, many great soul records that were played.

Still does, but the chemicals involved today are Algipan and Sanatogen.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete
On 13/06/2017 at 17:14, tobytyke said:

George Soule;  " Get involved" great record always sounded black to me. Never seen a picture but ive read hes white

So right great record take a look at his wiki page makes for interesting reading 🎶🎶

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
51 minutes ago, bo diddley said:

James W and his buddies....

JW.jpg

Cuz it's you girl .  the epitome of what is great blue eyed soul ,looking at that album cover you wouldn't go near it with a barge pole  big up to all the crate diggers !🎶🎶🎶👏

Social source share

3 hours ago, colouredman said:

Please don't leave out Ambassadors (Pee Vee group) and Velvet Satins and Nabay. All white and all awesome Northern!

Ambassadors on Pee Vee, a great group who deserve the 'Blue-eyed Soul' tag.

Nabay was Indian/Asian I believe? Would he be considered on a list of blue-eyed soulsters? Let's not forget Thee Midniters, a Latino-American group who had a couple of brushes with Northern. Is there such a thing as 'Brown-eyed Soul' :g:

Social source share