Blue-eyed Soul?

1 hour ago, Steve S 60 said:

That's not how I read it on the original post.

To be honest, the original post was only intended to find out the ethnicity of the artists I listed but I got a good lot of info about other artists, many who I had heard of sure but some gems I didn't know. 

On reflection I should have changed the title to 'Are these artists white?', I guess the term Blue-eyed Soul is doing some of the artists a great favour :yes: as some of it is just 'pop' with a dancing beat and not Soul at all. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I had a very long debate as a young man with John Carmody (weasel) RIP, about the definition of soul, using the argument that it had to be a black artist

He argued Van Morrison had as much soul as any artist...

Domino certainly has a lot of soul, blue eyed or even Green eyed being from an irishman!

The argument never got resolved sadly, but as an old man, I can now see his point.

Ed

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete
1 hour ago, Soul-Slider said:

Ambassadors on Pee Vee, a great group who deserve the 'Blue-eyed Soul' tag.

Nabay was Indian/Asian I believe? Would he be considered on a list of blue-eyed soulsters? Let's not forget Thee Midniters, a Latino-American group who had a couple of brushes with Northern. Is there such a thing as 'Brown-eyed Soul' :g:

Nabay apparently was Lebanese 🎶🎶

Social source share

14 hours ago, tomangoes said:

I had a very long debate as a young man with John Carmody (weasel) RIP, about the definition of soul, using the argument that it had to be a black artist

Domino certainly has a lot of soul, blue eyed or even Green eyed being from an irishman!

The argument never got resolved sadly, but as an old man, I can now see his point.

Ed

Van himself describes his work as Caledonian soul music. I can't say I like everything or even most of what he has recorded, but when he hits the spot it can be spellbinding:

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

Van himself describes his work as Caledonian soul music. I can't say I like everything or even most of what he has recorded, but when he hits the spot it can be spellbinding:

I was a late comer to Van Morrison - he's great. I have mentioned his soulfulness on a few threads previously. He's recorded a few bits with Bobby M.

pete

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

I was a late comer to Van Morrison - he's great. I have mentioned his soulfulness on a few threads previously. He's recorded a few bits with Bobby M.

pete

His collaborations with John Lee Hooker are also worth checking out :thumbsup: but the less said about Cliff Richard the better 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are loads of good blue eyed soul artists soul music and feeling comes from within not the colour of the skin, Just think of Wayne Cochrane, PJ Proby, Tom Jones, Len Barry, Early 1960,s White popcorn singers Eden Kane Jimmy Justice, Billy Fury, all those had 

Soul and had fantastic Soulful voices you can go on forever with these lists they are endless but the old chestnut only blacks can sing soul is ludicrous and very tunnelled visioned 

ML

• Helpful 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Anyone mentioned this yet? Worthy of a place on any cd/podcast. Great dance track.

My understanding was that it was some kind of Block project - at least my old copy (bought from Gene Robertson and flogged to Mark Sargeant) came with a sheet with information on everyone involved.

What killed it for me was that horrible slow break at the end - that drover me to sell it in the end.

Dx

Social source share

19 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

My understanding was that it was some kind of Block project - at least my old copy (bought from Gene Robertson and flogged to Mark Sargeant) came with a sheet with information on everyone involved.

What killed it for me was that horrible slow break at the end - that drover me to sell it in the end.

Dx

Hi Dave

yes the couple of instrumental breaks are it's weakpoints. Other than that it beats along quite nicely and wouldn't be one to go in the "white pop shit" dustbin.

Pete

:thumbsup:

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Hi Dave

yes the couple of instrumental breaks are it's weakpoints. Other than that it beats along quite nicely and wouldn't be one to go in the "white pop shit" dustbin.

Pete

Read more  

one for the sunshine pop category (dustbin :rofl: ) ?

Sunshine pop (originally called soft pop[3]) is a lightly-produced subgenre of pop music originating in Southern California in the mid 1960s. Rooted in easy-listening, advertising jingles, and the growing drug culture, sunshine pop acts combined nostalgic or anxious moods with "an appreciation for the beauty of the world".[1] It largely consisting of lesser-known artists who imitated more popular groups like the Beach Boys, the Mamas & the Papas, and the 5th Dimension. While the Beach Boys are noted as prominent influences, they rarely worked in the genre.[1][2]

Sunshine pop enjoyed mainstream success in the latter half of the decade, with many of its top 40 hits peaking in the spring and summer of 1967, especially just before the Summer of Love. Popular bands include the Mamas & the Papas, the Turtles, and the Association. Other acts, like the Millennium, Sagittarius, and the Yellow Balloon were less successful but gained a cult following years later;[4] with albums like Begin (1968) and Present Tense (1968) highly sought-after on the collectors’ market.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_pop

Social source share

2 minutes ago, mike said:

one for the sunshine pop category (dustbin :rofl: ) ?

Sunshine pop (originally called soft pop[3]) is a lightly-produced subgenre of pop music originating in Southern California in the mid 1960s. Rooted in easy-listening, advertising jingles, and the growing drug culture, sunshine pop acts combined nostalgic or anxious moods with "an appreciation for the beauty of the world".[1] It largely consisting of lesser-known artists who imitated more popular groups like the Beach Boys, the Mamas & the Papas, and the 5th Dimension. While the Beach Boys are noted as prominent influences, they rarely worked in the genre.[1][2]

Sunshine pop enjoyed mainstream success in the latter half of the decade, with many of its top 40 hits peaking in the spring and summer of 1967, especially just before the Summer of Love. Popular bands include the Mamas & the Papas, the Turtles, and the Association. Other acts, like the Millennium, Sagittarius, and the Yellow Balloon were less successful but gained a cult following years later;[4] with albums like Begin (1968) and Present Tense (1968) highly sought-after on the collectors’ market.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_pop

Interesting Mike. Far better than lots of other poppy stuff and a good dancer though. 

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
1 minute ago, Mickey Finn said:

And while we're at it, Rod Stewart and Steve Marriott

Stevie Marriott 's I'm only dreaming, soul as deep and them some 🎶🎶🎶👌

Social source share

2 hours ago, tomangoes said:

This cd is going to end up as an mp3!

Mel may be on there but it won't be this one. It'll either be his version of 'Better Use Your Head' or the great '(You've Got) The Power Of Love'.

BTW: I've just bought a copy of this oldie, pre Velvet Underground featuring Lou Reed and John Cale....

all-night-workers-dont-put-all-your-eggs-in-one-basket-round-sound.jpg.d1c315927cc6adbcd1b20b29bed69424.jpg 

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

On 2017-6-20 at 19:10, tomangoes said:

Ed

John Carmody (Weasel) RIP A very good mate and sadly missed, i'm sure many "Soulies " on here knew him . Weasel strong as an ox, i remember it as it were yesterday when we were all staying at the Salisbury hotel in Scarborough our kid (Rob Ward) couldn't open his room window for some fresh air when Weasel came to the rescue.Not only did he open the window but somehow through sheer brute strength twisted the window in the frame. Good times. Regards Fred 

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...