Blue-eyed Soul?

43 minutes ago, Jimmy Disco D said:

Just found this one at the weekend, I'm not exactly a big northern soul man but I was wondering if it ever got played out and about, or would it go in Pete's "white pop shit" dustbin. Either way, I like it..

I quite like most the Reflections records myself

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 6/13/2017 at 22:08, IanP said:

Chris Clark

R Dean Taylor 

was there any reason [apart from the obvious] why Berry Gordy recorded more white artists on VIP

underdogs-dalton boys-rdt-cc.............etc.etc??

&  remember Dave Godin sayin' "do whats right, not whats white"

Social source share

In all honesty I think the term "blue-eyed soul is one of the most ridiculous ever put out there. It doesn't begin to make sense on any level. My opinion, from what I've observed over the years, is that it originally was used by black artists (almost certainly tongue in cheek) to describe a record that sounds black but is by a white artist. Instead it's become a very wide all emcompassing means of confusion.

To me the term means a record that isn't a true soul record but has elements of production that make it sound similar. I.e its obviously by a white artist (a white pop song) but is influenced by soul music of the time - usually Tamla Motown or the 60s Philly sound.

So Dean Parrish's Determination is not a blue-eyed soul record. it's a soul record full stop.

Bobby Goldsboro's Too Many People is a blue -eyed soul record. it's primarilly a white pop record.  It's NOT a soul record.

That's how I see it and I'm rarely confused on such matters these days. :huh:

Edited by maslar
Social source share

Pop is short for popular.

Popular means it appeals to the masses.

If it's successful it will sell well and make lots of money.

I'm sure at the concept stage ALL records set out to be popular, whatever the colour of the artist etc.

Berry Gordy sussed that out early doors, and got his artists making records for the masses any way he could.

Blue eyed is exactly as you described in my opinion. Must make up 50% of the 60s element of NSoul.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

14 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Its rare for a white person to sing soul music like a black person...

About as rare as a black person to have blue eyes.

Here is a nice piece of blue eyed soul from a great lady (in duo with George Benson)

The plot thickens..

How is this "blue-eyed soul"?  Vanessa Williams is Afro-American.  

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

It looks as if the term Blue-eyed Soul first entered the public conciousness at the very end of 1964 - with the release of the Righteous Brothers second LP.

Supposedly the term had been used by a Philadelphia DJ to describe their music and it became a natural choice for the title of their second album.

index.jpg.c53e2c50e3a07ea37753edf1c36ec4c4.jpg

Social source share

A Whiter Shade Of Pale, Procol Harum. On first hearing it played at the Bag of Nails club Paul McCartney and others in his group were convinced it was by a black soul singer. I think Wilson Pickett was put forward as a possible. I've also heard other accounts by musicians of the time that on hearing it they thought it was an American recording by a black artist. (That's on very first hearing without knowing the title or artist obviously).

Have a listen and imagine you're hearing it for the first time. Is it a soul record? Plenty of people back then thought it was ...... for a short while at least. :g:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 20/09/2017 at 22:52, 25miles said:

was there any reason [apart from the obvious] why Berry Gordy recorded more white artists on VIP

underdogs-dalton boys-rdt-cc.............etc.etc??

&  remember Dave Godin sayin' "do whats right, not whats white"

He got in big trouble for that and was suspended by Blues & Soul

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon
On 6/20/2017 at 22:02, soulatthedale said:

Interesting how most comments have been about white American acts, but a couple of British blue eyed (Soul?) records that spring to mind are John Miles One Minute Every Hour and Nosmo King Goodbye.........

Nice one! What about 'Yesterday (was just the beginning)/John Miles too. Also, where does Johnny Boy fit in with this? If there is ever somebody who can sing and has the passion it has to be him. He has work in progress with two songs for release the 'A' side called 'Cause my lover's gone' written by Robert Paladino and the 'B' side called 'You ain't changed' written by myself and Johnny Boy. This is the demo in its early stages for CMLG:

CMLG by Johnny Boy

and this is an instrumental version of YAC (think 60s detroit, Junior Walker etc)...vocals to be done:

YAC by Johnny Boy

I am pitching as beach music, blue eyed soul, bubblegum, popcorn etc.

Social source share

Poor old Johnny boy is never going to get accepted when the records are 'made for Northern Soul'. Nobody wants tailor made now, anymore than they did in the early 70's, and the buying crowd are not teenagers who jumped on a bandwagon anymore.

He can make a living as a tribute act or side kick to Tommy Hunt, but that's about as far as he can go on this scene.

The boy can sing, but he needs to go mainstream and appeal to the masses. Make his own sound, his own signature.

Soul in the sun Tenerife song is totally tongue in cheek, a bit of a larf. 

He has more chance on the voice than BGT...........

Ed

Social source share

2 hours ago, Carl Dixon said:

Nice one! What about 'Yesterday (was just the beginning)/John Miles too. Also, where does Johnny Boy fit in with this? If there is ever somebody who can sing and has the passion it has to be him. He has work in progress with two songs for release the 'A' side called 'Cause my lover's gone' written by Robert Paladino and the 'B' side called 'You ain't changed' written by myself and Johnny Boy. This is the demo in its early stages for CMLG:

CMLG by Johnny Boy

and this is an instrumental version of YAC (think 60s detroit, Junior Walker etc)...vocals to be done:

YAC by Johnny Boy

I am pitching as beach music, blue eyed soul, bubblegum, popcorn etc.

Sound's like the "lover" in the song title was wearing a pair of size 10 pit boots when she walked out on poor Johnny Boy.

Social source share

Robert Paladino who wrote Cause hopefully  will respond to this thread , constructive criticism is good but respect is Paramount  ! The hob nailed boots been sorted ! The response in Australia pre- orders from DJS & Radio and  have been great . I agree with comments about mainstream , but for the less blinkered i thing this have some demand in UK . Ginger , Russ & Levine for just a few seem think so . Nobody owns what Godin termed N . Soul and fair play for anyone who trys too emulate the sound ! Look how Levine got slagged after they found Four Vandals was a taylor made !

A few years ago i DJ in Northants and had 3 lads check every record i played half way through i thought bollocks i play a track quoted on here never be played Piludski re work off begging and low behold it filled the floor when i finished my set with   Bobby Paris  Walkin the better cut off i walked away set down for Billie Gentry   , i came off the stage and the 3 lads said you played all originals !

Social source share

Well if Wigans chosen few and ovation had a reunion night, and Russ played his historically judged controversial northern soul sounds, I'm sure it would attract many folks.

It would also be ridiculed by the other half of the scene who don't follow the same values and interpretation.

Its a free world after all.

Ed

Social source share

A great example. In fact probably hard to improve on as a tailor made.

How many copies did it sell?

Did it chart anywhere?

Did it get Sid anymore gigs, an lp deal, or TV appearances?

Johnny Boy won't get rich and famous from the niche NS scene. If that's not what the end game is, fair enough.

Take a leaf out of Berry Gordy 's book. Go mainstream to make the coin.

Ed

Social source share

10 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Well if Wigans chosen few and ovation had a reunion night, and Russ played his historically judged controversial northern soul sounds, I'm sure it would attract many folks.

It would also be ridiculed by the other half of the scene who don't follow the same values and interpretation.

Its a free world after all.

Ed

Free world Mr know it all! i just seen Asia best DJ in action you seem to have a  lot views did you Wigan , i did not i was mecca snob , the new releases back then name some? and the ones that XO this will XO two , i don"t care about the elite i got only 3 in the world and tell every  i one ! I own a Frank Wilson of the original reel with the funk brothers speaking do know frank just like that one more time & dont  DJ it  no don't need 2 . I suggest Robert Paladino who wrote one the best double sidder name a better one no come here read this ! Very few artists got rich from the Northern Soul Scene ! But Tommy Hunt who knows a good song says this a smash and it will be !  Wait till the horn player comes back from Russia & horns added . Another mate in Miami making new stuff two and switched on DJS are ordering them . KTF and respect in this world will go a long way Cobber ! 

9 hours ago, tomangoes said:

A great example. In fact probably hard to improve on as a tailor made.

How many copies did it sell?

Did it chart anywhere?

Did it get Sid anymore gigs, an lp deal, or TV appearances?

Johnny Boy won't get rich and famous from the niche NS scene. If that's not what the end game is, fair enough.

Take a leaf out of Berry Gordy 's book. Go mainstream to make the coin.

Ed

Social source share

6 hours ago, mike said:

give it a rest

I asked all to get back to the actual topic

start a new topic if you wanna talk about tailor mades and suggest you tone down your posts

Mike had a run in with you before when an Icon of the scene is disrespected i would expect them to brought in line - The Johnny Cause his blue eyed soul Ironic they thought Eugene Thomas was white - I also mentioned Bobby Paris the least of blue eyed soul is infinite . Bev Harrell out Melbourne did better version than Jackie Trent  Fia Karin out Melbourne - did a good version Dana Valery - Cookie does a great Job on This girl not northern i know also from Melbourne - on on !

Social source share