Blue-eyed Soul?

19 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

Good one. I have it in a  compilation (don't remember what one, include some tracks by El Chicano, Caldera,...). I discovered this group in my teens in an ABC records comp. entitled "Soul Food" with the track "I Get Off On You" that is my favorite by this soul - rock ensemble fronted by a blue-eyed soul lady.

Edited by josep manuel concernau robles
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

14 hours ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Another Blue - eyed soul band, from Philly. I purchased the CD "Phialdelphia Roots" by UK Soul - Jazz Records on wich appears this dancer gem (among others Gamble and Jamie Guyden artists)!

Great inst!!

5a59f29c9ec7f_panicbuttons.jpg.7401dd7391d0624bc8261af86b944a7f.jpg

Edited by Soul-Slider
added pic
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Henning v Herzen said:

I'm a huge lover of this genre and my collection grows and grows. :) Especially i love the Carolina/Virginia area. I did 2 mixes a while ago for those who are interested. Feedback would be very welcome....

WOW! Some classics and incredibly rare 45s!! Jealous....

Interestingly, a track on your first mix, I have been speaking to one of The Tikis (Hey Girl) sister, I sent her a CD including that track and the flip (her brother part wrote 'Hey Girl'). 

Good to see you've included the better side of The Buckinghams Northern classic!

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Some folks that haven't gotten mentioned yet...

Turley Richards

Lance Rentzel (he made a record, but his main claim to fame was as a star receiver with the L.A. Rams football team. His promising career was shot to hell with one bad moment...he exposed himself to a little girl while at a traffic stop. Her dad was a powerful L.A. lawyer who brought the wrath of God down on him. His football career ended just like that)

Tommy Good

Debbie Dean

The Memphis Nomads (they sure as hell sound white!)

The Gentrys

The Other Ones

Charlie McCoy (cut that song "My Baby's Back Again", but is best-known as one of Nashville's top session men. He made a number of albums showcasing his harmonica playing in the '70's)

Narvel Felts

The Selective Service, from right here in Cleveland!

Kenny Chandler

Barnaby Bye

Jerry and the Uniques ("Yes He Will")

The Uniques from Louisiana, that did "Not Too Long Ago". Lead singer Joe Stampley went on to bigger success as a country artist.

Bill Bush

Dan Penn

Best,

Mark

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, clevesoulie said:

Some folks that haven't gotten mentioned yet...

Turley Richards

Lance Rentzel (he made a record, but his main claim to fame was as a star receiver with the L.A. Rams football team. His promising career was shot to hell with one bad moment...he exposed himself to a little girl while at a traffic stop. Her dad was a powerful L.A. lawyer who brought the wrath of God down on him. His football career ended just like that)

Tommy Good

Debbie Dean

The Memphis Nomads (they sure as hell sound white!)

The Gentrys

The Other Ones

Charlie McCoy (cut that song "My Baby's Back Again", but is best-known as one of Nashville's top session men. He made a number of albums showcasing his harmonica playing in the '70's)

Narvel Felts

The Selective Service, from right here in Cleveland!

Kenny Chandler

Barnaby Bye

Jerry and the Uniques ("Yes He Will")

The Uniques from Louisiana, that did "Not Too Long Ago". Lead singer Joe Stampley went on to bigger success as a country artist.

Bill Bush

Dan Penn

Best,

Mark

Some good ones there Mark, I'll seek out the ones I don't know.

Re- Memphis Nomads, a great 45 on Stax that I have. Here's a photo...

memphisnomads.jpg.e5c038be6b20b9aee453c288ecaa78a3.jpgMemphis-Nomads.jpg.0105a68dd77e382f5a567b8fee79a4f0.jpg

Edited by Soul-Slider
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

Anyone mentioned Rufus Lumley's wonderful Stronger Than Me?

How did I miss this one?

10/10 from me for this powerful ballad.

Social source share

22 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

Actually 'The British Walkers' who also became 'The Sweet' (on Smash).

The-British-Walkers.jpg.ac60772eedfb0ddf32b0326e350d65b4.jpg

Don't know if he's in this pic, but supposedly one of the guys in the British Walkers was the late Roy Buchanan, who went on to be an extraordinary blues guitarist and singer.

Best,

Mark

Social source share

Here in Spain in the late 80's a spanish label, DRO, published a serie by three double LP's called "Soul Classics" (Vols. 1, 2 & 3) and, among the obvious ones (Aretha, Otis, etc.) appears BRUCE CHANNEL's "Hey Baby". This song was very popular on these years, more than when was edited originally (the TV advertising rescued and popularized many oldies, specially from the 60's, soul anthems as "When A Man loves A Woman" by Percy Sledge or "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King,...)

Social source share