Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Soul-Slider

Blue-eyed Soul?

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

I do sometimes wonder how a great Soul track like this....

the-magnificent-seven-new-groove-farmer-john-new-groove.jpg.d722f26d784b03b64f5bf0a1701bceb0.jpg

...can come out of a group of teenage Frat boys like this...

Sign-contract-Full.jpg.9f8148c6d9c901aff960a2e724bcd1b1.jpg

 

Same group as on Eastern ("She's called a woman")?

The Eastern group sure is white but, hell, can they cook up a proper Northern tune! And don't forget the awesome downtempo flip "Since you've been gone".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Benji said:

Same group as on Eastern ("She's called a woman")?

The Eastern group sure is white but, hell, can they cook up a proper Northern tune! And don't forget the awesome downtempo flip "Since you've been gone".

Not the same group Benji, these guys had to change their name to 'The Rubberband' shortly after this release because of the other guys on Eastern/Dial (who are great btw).

The other Mag 7....

 

Edited by Soul-Slider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an interesting one. The Fortunes and 'Storm in a tea cup'. Written by the UK's Lynsey De Paul and Ron Roker as a soul style tune for somebody like The Tams, back in the early 1970's. It was their first co-write together and it was hoped to be placed with the likes of a popular soul group, but never worked out. But, it was a smash for The Fortunes. It will never be regarded as a soul tune I guess, or blue eyed soul, but from a writers perspective they wrote it and hoped for a hit, just like all the other writers did then and do today. Even Ron and Lynsey were writing in a specific style hoping to attract a certain genres attention, and as the term for that is not welcome on this thread I will not say it, but I will say with something 'bespoke' for a soul group. I wonder if The Drifters or even The Tams had recorded it, where would it stand today and how different it may have sounded? Ron also wrote 'Guilty' by The Pearls which was covered by First Choice in Philly. He also wrote 'Stone cold love affair' for The Real Thing which is quite a good song. So whether blue eyed soul performers or writers, there is a place for their efforts for sure. Ron also wrote 'Rupert the bear' and produced 'Honey Honey' by Sweet Dreams...and..it is his male vocal on the release with Polly Browne. My point: Ron Roker blue eyed and a legend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carl Dixon said:

Here is an interesting one. The Fortunes and 'Storm in a tea cup'. Written by the UK's Lynsey De Paul and Ron Roker as a soul style tune for somebody like The Tams, back in the early 1970's. It was their first co-write together and it was hoped to be placed with the likes of a popular soul group, but never worked out. But, it was a smash for The Fortunes. It will never be regarded as a soul tune I guess, or blue eyed soul, but from a writers perspective they wrote it and hoped for a hit, just like all the other writers did then and do today. Even Ron and Lynsey were writing in a specific style hoping to attract a certain genres attention, and as the term for that is not welcome on this thread I will not say it, but I will say with something 'bespoke' for a soul group. I wonder if The Drifters or even The Tams had recorded it, where would it stand today and how different it may have sounded? Ron also wrote 'Guilty' by The Pearls which was covered by First Choice in Philly. He also wrote 'Stone cold love affair' for The Real Thing which is quite a good song. So whether blue eyed soul performers or writers, there is a place for their efforts for sure. Ron also wrote 'Rupert the bear' and produced 'Honey Honey' by Sweet Dreams...and..it is his male vocal on the release with Polly Browne. My point: Ron Roker blue eyed and a legend.

Hi Carl

Did ask people to start a new topic if they wish to talk about other topics, rather than take this topic down various different roads

if you look up to the top of the page  there is a 'start new topic' button, just hit that and you be good to go

though freebasing may be better suited

 cheers

mike

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just picked this up, LP only track. The group mostly use Linda Tillery as vocalist and she is African American but the rest of the band are white. This one can be classed as blue eyed soul as the vocalist is Paul Fauerso, nice rendition of the Four Tops...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2017 at 07:29, maslar said:

A Whiter Shade Of Pale, Procol Harum. On first hearing it played at the Bag of Nails club Paul McCartney and others in his group were convinced it was by a black soul singer. I think Wilson Pickett was put forward as a possible. I've also heard other accounts by musicians of the time that on hearing it they thought it was an American recording by a black artist. (That's on very first hearing without knowing the title or artist obviously).

Have a listen and imagine you're hearing it for the first time. Is it a soul record? Plenty of people back then thought it was ...... for a short while at least. :g:

I have never though it was a black artist singing. Although it is undoubtedly sung from the soul and has deep meaning (I think :wink: ). Black artists have covered many rock and pop songs over the years . Just imagine the first time you ever heard Whiter Shade Of Pale is was Aretha singing , or maybe Stevie would be a better fit, would you conisder it a soul record? It gets difficult.

As it happens in my case the term  blue-eyed soul immediately conjures up songs that are typically of a light pop soul confection. 

But it's not as simple as that. I see Rod Stewart got a mention up thread A good shout for someone who I think has buckets of soul (particularly anything in his catalogue before the mid 70s). Also I must mention the Average White Band. In my opinion they had more soul and funk in their bones than many black groups (and much as I love and respect James Brown I thought when he recorded as AABB that was a bit disrespectful).  

Sir Shambling has a great article on his site which incidentally includes the Average White Band in his list of 25 blue eyed soul winners. Pete Nickols follows up on it too.

http://www.sirshambling.com/articles/blue_eyed_soul/index.php

http://www.sirshambling.com/articles/brown_eyed_soul/index.php

In John's list he also includes Johnny Daye - Stay Baby Stay which is certainly no light pop soul confection.

 

        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Johnny Daye 'stay baby staaAAAAAayyyy...' is a long-long firm favorite of mine. I was told sometimes back that the guy was white. So I listened again and again to my copy of 'good time' on Jomada and couldn't hear the "white" bit. Still, I omitted to it since I didn't know for fact otherwise and it wouldn't change my liking to the his 45's anyway. And when I got this Stax 45, I thought to myself; Ha ! Now I know, he's black ! :facepalm:

Search for it on the net, landed on this; 59db0b6deae56_Capturedcran2017-10-0907_18_16.thumb.png.603bc1fe08f7c9c4a7ebad7cfcbf0e42.png

My venture into black music as a kid started with Jamaican music after buying a Prince Buster 'FAB' LP as quoted for reference by my likes of the day then like the Specials, Madness... I still vividly remember coming back home and laying the 'FAB' LP on my deck and looking at my 2-Tone records starting to wonder 'what am I going to do with those now ?'. Then came the obsession for soul music even before 'Northern'. Never too much into the R'n'B thing and even less into Country or Rock'n'Roll, Swing stuffs and all that Jazz, I focused on those sexy vintage 45's.

Ska, Rock Steady, Reggae and Soul were "black" colored music. In the studios at least... Or the recording side of the mike mainly... Or most of the times at least... then the other times something else of the other color; white, red, yellow or brown. Blue doesn't count as the Smurfs can't sing and they are Belgians. So like most I'd say to find pictures or footages of the artists to have a reference to put in context was and still is always a quest. And now to be proven wrong once again, is always a blessing since my "pride" is worth less than the truth in my book. Word Up ! Bless you Johnny Daye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

3 hours ago, tomangoes said:

 

One of my faves from the Cleethorpes Winter Gardens era, although the instrumental was played more on early plays....

 Famous starliters included Jimi Hendrix, Joe Pesci (the actor) and Felix Cavaliere!

Ed

 

Pesci, second from left...

 

dee.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bruv said:

I guess it's way to late for Bobby Diamond's - Stop to be included on the Blue Eyed CD, please squeeze Bob in he's not been out of the box since 1977. :wink: :) 

One of my favourites back in the day! Diamond was an actor and was considered for the role of 'Robin' with Adam West but at 21 was feared too old. The strange world of Northern Soul!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/10/2017 at 06:53, tlscapital said:

This Johnny Daye 'stay baby staaAAAAAayyyy...' is a long-long firm favorite of mine. I was told sometimes back that the guy was white. So I listened again and again to my copy of 'good time' on Jomada and couldn't hear the "white" bit. Still, I omitted to it since I didn't know for fact otherwise and it wouldn't change my liking to the his 45's anyway. And when I got this Stax 45, I thought to myself; Ha ! Now I know, he's black ! :facepalm:

Search for it on the net, landed on this; 59db0b6deae56_Capturedcran2017-10-0907_18_16.thumb.png.603bc1fe08f7c9c4a7ebad7cfcbf0e42.png

My venture into black music as a kid started with Jamaican music after buying a Prince Buster 'FAB' LP as quoted for reference by my likes of the day then like the Specials, Madness... I still vividly remember coming back home and laying the 'FAB' LP on my deck and looking at my 2-Tone records starting to wonder 'what am I going to do with those now ?'. Then came the obsession for soul music even before 'Northern'. Never too much into the R'n'B thing and even less into Country or Rock'n'Roll, Swing stuffs and all that Jazz, I focused on those sexy vintage 45's.

Ska, Rock Steady, Reggae and Soul were "black" colored music. In the studios at least... Or the recording side of the mike mainly... Or most of the times at least... then the other times something else of the other color; white, red, yellow or brown. Blue doesn't count as the Smurfs can't sing and they are Belgians. So like most I'd say to find pictures or footages of the artists to have a reference to put in context was and still is always a quest. And now to be proven wrong once again, is always a blessing since my "pride" is worth less than the truth in my book. Word Up ! Bless you Johnny Daye.

Thanks for sharing this sad news about Johnny Daye. I had missed his passing. That is an excellent article, lots of detail on his life that fills in lots of blanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange indeed 🎶🎶

1 hour ago, Soul-Slider said:

One of my favourites back in the day! Diamond was an actor and was considered for the role of 'Robin' with Adam West but at 21 was feared too old. The strange world of Northern Soul!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2017 at 20:28, Windlesoul said:

The Rivieras, Greater Experience, Anthony & Aqualads, Ron Moody & Centaurs, Embers, Berkshire 7, Athens Rogues, The Generation, Bob Collins & Fab Five, The Chantells, In-Men Ltd. and 8 million other Va / Carolinas / Georgia bands.

However, doing it right and obtaining licencing of these for an official blue eyed soul CD comp (if the idea is for anything other than personal use) is a whole other kettle of fish...

Great memories.......

 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/09/2017 at 23:03, Soul-Slider said:

Here's a rare photo....

Apparently these are also The Ambassadors (Pee Vee).

59d006969fb0c_sevendwarfs.thumb.jpg.c44d6d60409b4895383c3c2dda57150d.jpg

How awesome.Thank you very much for posting this I am gobstruck but not suprised at how they were,I always knew by the vocals this was a blue-eyed(white) group.(No racial intentions.) I bought my copy on PEEVEE from JA in the early 1980's.I often listened to it.I think it was quite rare,and/or obscure,although it was getting some exposure in 1980/81.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just doing some digging and I found out that The Majestics / David & Ruben '(I Love Her So Much) It Hurts Me' (Linda 121) were actually The Romancers (also on Linda) with David & Ruben Robles.  More 'brown-eyed Soul' rather than blue as these were Mexican/Hispanic/Chicano artists. 

romancers_320.jpg.822e346360366e3df3767a6d16cfabbd.jpg 5a1c6b99d581f_davidruben.jpg.17e47c6bee8cacc851d2916d1827edb4.jpg

To confuse matters even more, a previous outing by The Majestics on Linda 111 'Strange World' was actually by an all black group called 'The Atlantics', this group featured Barry White!

Strange world indeed!

Edited by Soul-Slider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22 de septiembre de 2017 at 01:27, MBarrett said:

It looks as if the term Blue-eyed Soul first entered the public conciousness at the very end of 1964 - with the release of the Righteous Brothers second LP.

Supposedly the term had been used by a Philadelphia DJ to describe their music and it became a natural choice for the title of their second album.

index.jpg.c53e2c50e3a07ea37753edf1c36ec4c4.jpg

A spanish musical journalist said that the origin of the tag "Blue Eyed Soul" was the LP by the same name by english - indian artist Biddu (or "Biddu Orchestra") around 1974 (!!??)...

 

Anyway, when I think in white people who plays soul music, immediately, as a Philly Soul fan as I am, The Soul Survivors with the soulful voices by the Ingui brothers comes to my mind. And Ben Aiken, Dick Jensen's "NYC is a Lonely Town", spanish Los Canarios and Los Bravos (fronted by german Mike Kennedy), Bruce Channe's "Hey Baby", Kenny Loggins, Dobbie Brothers, Classic IV feat. Dennis Yost on "Stormy"... I have a Soul Compilation CD by Marble Arch Records that includes Randy Vanwarmer's "Just When I Needed You Most"...

Cheers to all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30.9.2017 at 23:03, Soul-Slider said:

Here's a rare photo....

Apparently these are also The Ambassadors (Pee Vee).

59d006969fb0c_sevendwarfs.thumb.jpg.c44d6d60409b4895383c3c2dda57150d.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality. These are the real Ambassadors

IMG_20171205_012447.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the real test would be you could not tell the difference what colour the singer was simply by hearing the track, but then find out it was by a white artist.

Loads of examples already listed of course.

I definitely thought Chris / Connie was a black singer on hearing this

Ed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Benji said:

Sorry for the bad quality. These are the real Ambassadors

IMG_20171205_012447.jpg

I think that Rick Reardon is the main connection to the 2 groups Benji, 7 Dwarfs came first then Rick and maybe 1 or 2 of the others formed The Ambassadors (possibly!). Rick Reardon is lead singer on the Ambassadors 'Whole Lotta Soul' side, he was in the 7 Dwarfs.

It seems that Eric Spitzer is the main guy behind the Ambassadors.

A bit of info here...

http://whitedoowopcollector.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/seven-dwarfsthe-time.html

and here....

http://www.45cat.com/record/nc764063us

and here...

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1790636-The-Ambassadors-4

Edited by Soul-Slider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2017 at 11:22, Soul-Slider said:

If you're talking about this one chalky, it does explain in the comments that they are using a photo of the British group.

I would say, if they are referring to the picture below, with the high trousers and white socks it actually looks like a group of circa 1979/80 Mod revivalists.

 

Thats The Purple Hearts in the photo, mod revival band from Romford in Essex. The guy with the blond hair is my mates cousin and was the bass player 

Edited by richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this mob live somewhere around 1966/7

They were another of those brilliant British bands who did a mash up of beat & R&B & soul in their live performances. But who never managed to replicate the excitement of their live performances on vinyl.

How they picked up on this ZZ Hill track as a single I have no idea.

Not the greatest of records -but you'll have to trust me how brilliant they were live. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2017 at 00:09, MBarrett said:

I saw this mob live somewhere around 1966/7

They were another of those brilliant British bands who did a mash up of beat & R&B & soul in their live performances. But who never managed to replicate the excitement of their live performances on vinyl.

How they picked up on this ZZ Hill track as a single I have no idea.

Not the greatest of records -but you'll have to trust me how brilliant they were live. :)

 

Yeah, I like them, I have a couple of their 45s (the other one on Parlophone and a solo one on Decca) but they are fairly tough to find. I  do collect the British soul stuff too, some great unknown 45s to seek out! 

EDIT: Bizzare! A copy f this popped up on my Discogs wants notification this morning! Duly purchased....from Serbia! 

Edited by Soul-Slider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2017 at 19:24, josep manuel concernau robles said:

A spanish musical journalist said that the origin of the tag "Blue Eyed Soul" was the LP by the same name by english - indian artist Biddu (or "Biddu Orchestra") around 1974 (!!??)...

 

Anyway, when I think in white people who plays soul music, immediately, as a Philly Soul fan as I am, The Soul Survivors with the soulful voices by the Ingui brothers comes to my mind. And Ben Aiken, Dick Jensen's "NYC is a Lonely Town", spanish Los Canarios and Los Bravos (fronted by german Mike Kennedy), Bruce Channe's "Hey Baby", Kenny Loggins, Dobbie Brothers, Classic IV feat. Dennis Yost on "Stormy"... I have a Soul Compilation CD by Marble Arch Records that includes Randy Vanwarmer's "Just When I Needed You Most"...

Cheers to all

Yes, the Righteous Brothers music originated the term.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                                                                      

    Spotted this picture of August & Deneen on Discogs, of course we all know they were responsible for giving us We Go Together :wink:  :hatsoff2: 

A-963593-1476522654-6834.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Adverts



×