GIMME 2 BARS LINE – BABY, IT’S NORTHERN R&B TIME!

Alan Walls

Hell yeah! A wee list 60’s Northern bangers with just the right dose of R&B hot sauce.  And I’m talkin’ proper bangers here - full steam ahead!

All ex condition unless otherwise stated…

Jimmy Dobbins   -    Little Miss Perfect    -    Crash  £45  aptly named label for this belting, crash- bang- walloper.  A no nonsense belter!

Bobby Harris   -   Ain’t That Love   -    Turntable  £30   looks like a shagged out vg+ with scuffs and surface marks, but plays nearer ex.  Pretty sure a George Sharp spin up in the Soul Attic at Top of The World; real good, uptempo, swingin’ dancer. ‘Lonely Intruder’ on the flip sees Bobby deliver a fine, Sam Cooke-style deep ballad.

Don Gardner   -   My Baby Likes To Boogaloo  -   Tru Glo Town  £115  The Don’s feelin’ mean: his ol’ lady ‘s out partying all the time and he’s well pissed off with it. He let’s rip, and 2 mins 59 seconds later she know the score!

Jimmy Burns   -   Powerful Love   -   Tip Top  £115   cooling things down a wee bit, Jimmy’s swinging along in this  fine, mid/uptempo handclapper.  A wee spin of mine at Allanton in ye olde days, but don’t let that – or the wonkily pressed label (NAP)  – put you off. Flip is another, easy on the ear Sam Cooke-a-like

King Ernest   -    I Feel Alright     -     Barry demo £55 right, back to the bangers. Ernie’s one of those raucous, R&B shouters who always manage to sound really irritated, even when they’re singing about how good they feel! He calms down a bit on the flip, ‘Hold It Baby’ having that strolling, good time vibe about like the Jimmy Burn side. I’ve listed this a couple of times, get loads of ‘likes’ and nice comments but it’s still here…

Koko Taylor  -  Fire   -  Checker  £35    wooooah Lordy, somebody call the po-lice! Koko has the wildest, rowdiest, downright scariest sounding voice; you wouldn’t want to be coming home to her with a torn paypacket on a Friday night! Think of a female Jimmy Robbins whose been up for 5 nights on crystal meth and you’re getting the picture! But seriously, I’m not doing this pounding brassy thumper justice, it’s got buckets of all niter appeal.  Tell there’s still some hardy folks out and about who still have the fire in their bellies and haven’t been pussified by weedy, feeble-assed featherweight pish like Papa Bear and all that foppery (topical joke – see Rare Soul Talk page on Facebook)

Usual jive applies:   

•     Pm your interest, but please add a comment letting me now there’s a pm on the wa

• ·        P&P is £8 for Special Delivery on order over £50, under is £3 for 1st Class Signed For

• ·        PayPal only, as a gift or add 4% to the total if paying as a business transaction

• ·        Wanna haggle on price? Let’s hear ya, but don’t be daft And beware - I've been listening to seriously mean music!

Cheers y’all!

9 Jimmy Dobbins.jpg

Bobby Harris.jpg

Don Gardner - Boogaloo.jpg

Jimmy Burns - Powerful.jpg

King Ernest - Alright.jpg

King Ernest - Baby.jpg

Koko.jpg

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 534