stevegods

Merryweather v McGregor - just about money ?

27 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, stevegods said:

So ... it's official ... 

August 26th ... the richest fight ever ... but will it live up to the hype ?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/mayweather-mcgregor-fight-confirmed-vegas-10624713.amp

Can't beat Joshua v Klitschko 1 ... surely ?? 

Joke match up. All about the $.

One of the best ever (but hasn't fought for two years) against a top cage fighter who has never boxed professionally. 

It will sell millions but absolutely nothing to do with the noble art.

10 minutes ago, Jaco said:

Joke match up. All about the $.

One of the best ever (but hasn't fought for two years) against a top cage fighter who has never boxed professionally. 

It will sell millions but absolutely nothing to do with the noble art.

Nicely said bud :thumbsup:

McGregor can't box, I doubt he will get knocked out, not early on anyway but he won't lay a glove on Mayweather. 

Don't think it will last 3 rounds , mcgregor ok fighting but when it comes to boxing he's cak, he's never boxed proffessionly in his life, this is just for the money and nothing else , I'm surprised it's being allowed especially as it's for a world title, still, I will watch it though .

Because of the dollars involved I think Mayweather will feel obliged to carry McGregor to give the gullible (millions) of punters a show for their money, hence saving a backlash

Kev

Posted (edited)

Should be an interesting fight. On paper FM should obviously win - but... who know?

The old saying is "fight a boxer, box a fighter" and it certainly applies here. What CM will do is engage in dirty boxing. Pushing the rules right to the edge in an attempt to physically and mentally  disrupt FM. will it work?  who knows but the fact that commentators such as Roy Jones are stating  "the fight is bad for boxing if CM wins" tells you a lot.  There's no absolute certainty.

As for FM "carrying" the fight. It's not going to happen. It only takes a second to get knocked out. There's no way he's going to risk it. He knows the tactics CM will employ and he knows it could be dangerous for him. 

As for boxing being a noble art - when was that? It's always been corrupt to a certain degree. That doesn't take anything away from the "sweet science", the actual art of boxing.  One thing about this fight is I don't think it will be fixed.

Edited by maslar

2 hours ago, maslar said:

Should be an interesting fight. On paper FM should obviously win - but... who know?

The old saying is "fight a boxer, box a fighter" and it certainly applies here. What CM will do is engage in dirty boxing. Pushing the rules right to the edge in an attempt to physically and mentally  disrupt FM. will it work?  who knows but the fact that commentators such as Roy Jones are stating  "the fight is bad for boxing if CM wins" tells you a lot.  There's no absolute certainty.

As for FM "carrying" the fight. It's not going to happen. It only takes a second to get knocked out. There's no way he's going to risk it. He knows the tactics CM will employ and he knows it could be dangerous for him. 

As for boxing being a noble art - when was that? It's always been corrupt to a certain degree. That doesn't take anything away from the "sweet science", the actual art of boxing.  One thing about this fight is I don't think it will be fixed.

If Manny P. can,t beat him, McGregor won,t, what will McGregor do that countless challegers before him couldn,t

After a long spell in the BRUTAL WORLD of MMA this is just what Connor Mcgregor needs, it is a SHOWPIECE of course
and a shot in the arm for both sports. . .i would luv it if CM comes out on top.
CAN'T WAIT!

11 hours ago, kev cane said:

If Manny P. can,t beat him, McGregor won,t, what will McGregor do that countless challegers before him couldn,t

If CM tries to "box" FM he will have no chance. He obviously knows this. This won't look like a conventional boxing match imo unless FM is able to dominate and end it quickly. Psychologically CM  has nothing to lose. That puts him at a great advantage. Particularly with regard to the tactics he has to use if he wants to win. And which I'm sure he'll be basing all his real training on (as opposed to the clips shown on youtube). 

Most boxers don't want to get disqualified. Most don't want get a warning from the ref or a point deducted or lose a round through foul play. None of this is going to bother CM. He has no career in boxing to contemplate. If he loses so what? His big advantage over FM will be his standing clinch game (which is a high level skill area in itself) .So this is where he'll fight from (the inside) if he has any sense. Clinching , inside boxing,  forearms to the face, elbows to the body, pushing, using the head and shoulders. But taking it all right to the very edge.  That's the big difference. Lots of boxers do this stuff but most won't base their whole game around it. I think CM will. For example I expect him to throw FM to the canvas hard at least a couple of time. He'll probably do this by letting FM have the dominant position in the clinch and then quickly reversing. 

He also knows that FM can be very temperamental and if things really do go CMs way and his tactics start to have a real impact then there's the real chance FM could simple do a Duran and call it quits in the ring out of sheer frustration.  But obviously FM is still favorite to win.

29 minutes ago, maslar said:

If CM tries to "box" FM he will have no chance. He obviously knows this. This won't look like a conventional boxing match imo unless FM is able to dominate and end it quickly. Psychologically CM  has nothing to lose. That puts him at a great advantage. Particularly with regard to the tactics he has to use if he wants to win. And which I'm sure he'll be basing all his real training on (as opposed to the clips shown on youtube).

Most boxers don't want to get disqualified. Most don't want get a warning from the ref or a point deducted or lose a round through foul play. None of this is going to bother CM. He has no career in boxing to contemplate. If he loses so what? His big advantage over FM will be his standing clinch game (which is a high level skill area in itself) .So this is where he'll fight from (the inside) if he has any sense. Clinching , inside boxing,  forearms to the face, elbows to the body, pushing, using the head and shoulders. But taking it all right to the very edge.  That's the big difference. Lots of boxers do this stuff but most won't base their whole game around it. I think CM will. For example I expect him to throw FM to the canvas hard at least a couple of time. He'll probably do this by letting FM have the dominant position in the clinch and then quickly reversing.

He also knows that FM can be very temperamental and if things really do go CMs way and his tactics start to have a real impact then there's the real chance FM could simple do a Duran and call it quits in the ring out of sheer frustration.  But obviously FM is still favorite to win.

You are BANG ON THE MONEY my friend.
Floyd Mayweather still remains favourite although he's turned 40 years of age and Connor McGregor a meagre 28.
Will the energy, stamina and unshakeable confidence of CM be too much for FM?

Let's hope so -  and see a whole new direction for the worlds greatest sporting entertainer.

Posted (edited)

Floyd Mayweather depite his age will be fitter thsn many ten years younger. He ain't daft and he will have retained his fitness.  Not that unusual for fighters who have achieved most things to take longer between fights.  He won't gte involved in a scrap, he would be foolish to do so.  He will bide his time work away with jabs etc and pick his moments to move inside.  

Edited by chalky

I say more power to the underdog :lol:

Real Life Rocky
McGregor vs Mayweather: Sylvester Stallone backs UFC ace to become real-life Rocky by winning big fight.
Hollywood star rooting for underdog McGregor to upset Mayweather with fantasy victory in Las Vegas.

ROCKY.jpg.c6e218b87ad0d9bd6262b75fd70e5ec1.jpg

CONNOR.thumb.jpg.23c1d58ea7f17b839e5965e18afa94e3.jpg

FLOYD.jpg.86f8b13ac790c3e94449c38b0517dfa5.jpg

The fight people should be much more excited about is Golovkin v. Alvarez. Two amazing middleweights with exciting styles and at the top of their game.  

This will be the fight to eclipse all previous fights and now our very own . . . . .

ANTHONY JOSHUA has a fight on the Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather undercard with
UFC champion Stipe Miocic – if the British boxing champ wants it.

Reminds me of the I'll fated Cleethorpes versus Wigan nights back in the day :)

Ed

If Mayweather really wants to nail this in the  first round, he will, That's not what will happen because it's all about the dollars.....

7 hours ago, Soulfinger said:

If Mayweather really wants to nail this in the  first round, he will, That's not what will happen because it's all about the dollars.....

1st round of 10th the money is already in the bank so it won't bother either fighter how long it lasts. 

In other ridiculous sporting news, I read that Michael Phelps is due to swim against a shark

On 2017-6-17 at 20:34, ljblanken said:

The fight people should be much more excited about is Golovkin v. Alvarez. Two amazing middleweights with exciting styles and at the top of their game.  

I seriously cannot wait for rhat, could be the fight of the year.

As for rhis, it's a jokw: if Mayweather takes it in the least bit seriously he's so him in a round - but, or course, he won't. With Floyd it's all about the money!

There's a video on YouTube of McGregor sparring a round with a young, decent South African called Heerden and he looks everything he isn't - a boxer. Slow on his feet, open, squars stance and poor hand speed too, and we've no idea whY his chins like either.

This is a sham really, and does boxing no favours at all.

Link for those interested:

Hey Wolfie . . . I trust you won't be tuning in to the foight?:lol:

On 6/19/2017 at 04:00, daved said:

In other ridiculous sporting news, I read that Michael Phelps is due to swim against a shark

I would pay to see him get eaten by a shark.

11 hours ago, wolfie66 said:

I seriously cannot wait for rhat, could be the fight of the year.

As for rhis, it's a jokw: if Mayweather takes it in the least bit seriously he's so him in a round - but, or course, he won't. With Floyd it's all about the money!

There's a video on YouTube of McGregor sparring a round with a young, decent South African called Heerden and he looks everything he isn't - a boxer. Slow on his feet, open, squars stance and poor hand speed too, and we've no idea whY his chins like either.

This is a sham really, and does boxing no favours at all.

Link for those interested:

McGregor won't be able to paw with his lead hand like that. Ref will call it. That's how oldies like Jack Johnson (and early George Foreman) used to fight - can't do that anymore. 

Also, this kid is not a good sparring partner because he's a weak counterpuncher. Mayweather is a phenomenal counterpuncher - particularly with his counter right uppercut. 

Two huge egos, one of which is going to be shattered come the night. Twenty-five years of rivalry since the  start of the UFC between boxing and MMA on the line. As Roy Jones said - if FM does lose this is going to be very bad for boxing.

I've got a feeling this is either going to be a damp squib with a swift FM knockout  or hugely controversial (and possibly highly entertaining) in some manner. Nothing in-between 

Of course I will Rudzy!! And boy, so I feel dirty....

I'm a fight fan at the end of the day, and the undercard's going to be a cracker and the atmosphere electric  by the time these boys go at it. BUT...my point stands, Mayweather could finish this in the first - and seriously damage McGregor - if he wanted to, but he won't. 

Alvaro v Golovkin though...now THAT's a fight!

On 2017-6-21 at 03:03, ljblanken said:

McGregor won't be able to paw with his lead hand like that. Ref will call it. That's how oldies like Jack Johnson (and early George Foreman) used to fight - can't do that anymore. 

Also, this kid is not a good sparring partner because he's a weak counterpuncher. Mayweather is a phenomenal counterpuncher - particularly with his counter right uppercut. 

Yep, a counterculture with just about the best defence ever, and a chin that has always managed to take the odd 'slug' that did get through. If Mayweather starts taking the michael though I wouldn't be surprised if McGregor gets disqualified for kicking/elbows or something, because the bloke's an ego walking and will hate being shown up on the tellybox more than anything.

10 hours ago, wolfie66 said:

Yep, a counterculture with just about the best defence ever, and a chin that has always managed to take the odd 'slug' that did get through. If Mayweather starts taking the michael though I wouldn't be surprised if McGregor gets disqualified for kicking/elbows or something, because the bloke's an ego walking and will hate being shown up on the tellybox more than anything.

The big question is whether Mayweather will engage (get offensive) or just try and win on points. He CAN bang if he wants to. He knocked down Diego Corrales five times and TKOed him (and Chico had a great chin) - a GREAT fight:

...and the iron-chinned Arturo Gatti (unfortunately not a great fight):

...but now his hands are gone (very fragile). That's one big reason he doesn't bang with folks anymore...

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/05/mayweather-keeps-his-fragile-hands-under-wraps.html

... so we'll see if he chooses to fight or play "fancy dan" all night!

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Related Soul Music Links