Crackle on records

Jazz

I use the wood glue method for cleaning my new purchases, check out YouTube tutorials on how to this, I find it works. Give the record a clean first with a damp lint free soft cloth, let it dry and then apply the glue. Top tip - practice first on a sacrificial record so you can master the method before using it on a prised record. Obviously if the crackle & pops are due to superficial damage to the playing surface this method won't cure that but it will remove the minute dust particles from the grooves. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hiya, redditch crew has posted a few times on this subject and it works for him.  Follow his advice using the materials he states. Not sure but some people seem to try things without following the guidelines he has stated, eg wrong glue etc. check back near start of thread where he uses specific materials. As above try it on a record you don't care for. Got to be worth a go. Cheers

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A good scrub with a damp (well wrung out) J cloth. Ordinary tap water is fine. If things are really dirty a drop or two of Fairy Liquid, then a scrub. Just don't forget to rinse under the cold tap 'till all the washing up liquid is GONE. BTW try and keep the labels from getting wet. Vinyl and styrene are both much tougher than people think, so you won't do any damage if you're sensible.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!