new releases - money machines?

Mike

just seen a 45 that was being sold for £5.99 in feb 2017 now up for sale for £45 in the sales forum

the 45 is sold out now

does that mean it was that good it sold out straight away or...

maybe its sold out cause dealers were buying up all the copies to sell on 4 months later at 10 x price

yet another self harming snake eating itself thing ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I am thinking of destroying the surplus vinyl I pressed up in Detroit as it is sat here gathering dust in my spare room, except for the test pressings. I've given more away than sold and do not mention the post office loosing them, not paying the insurance and me having to dispatch a 2nd copy to the purchaser at my expense. Yes, I have had good times writing, producing, releasing them...but!. I have paid all my royalties on 'Tell me' even though I have not sold them all, as a mark of respect to the performer. Maybe in time they will sell if I do not turn them in to ashtrays. If anybody would like to purchase an original first white label pressing of 'Tell me (crying over you'/Spyder Turner it will be only £25,000. The A side is fine, but the B side has a major cock up by the plant which is why it is obviously so valuable lol! The second pressing was good both sides and they are £10,000 each. If I sell any the artist will get a percentage of course ha ha. 

Social source share

On 6/21/2017 at 13:54, mike said:

just seen a 45 that was being sold for £5.99 in feb 2017 now up for sale for £45 in the sales forum

the 45 is sold out now

does that mean it was that good it sold out straight away or...

maybe its sold out cause dealers were buying up all the copies to sell on 4 months later at 10 x price

yet another self harming snake eating itself thing ?

Don't get me started on this Mike!

Number one pet-hate at present.

I support new releases across all formats......the music comes first.  So it annoys me on the odd occasion I miss a new release 45 and then see them being sold with extortionate mark-ups by people and to people who are only interested in something if it's on a 45 and they can tell their mates how much they paid for it!

We've had everyone's a DJ and now everyone wants to be a record dealer!

As Daved says it doesn't help the artist one bit but many couldn't give a sh!t despite what they'd tell you.

I'm not sure it helps the proper dealers either.....the ones with a business who pay their taxes etc.

The "I have a spare" syndrome............

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Someone was selling the Lady Wray 45 on here not so long ago for £20 I think ? you could still buy it off the website for $7.99 and maybe still can. I must say though that that is wrong but people must do a bit of homework when buying ?

Swifty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It seems that many releases are aimed at Djs rather than putting cillectors and music first with many being limited releases.  If they are good and go down well at venues it isn't long before a new release is commanding three figures.  

The difference in cost between 300 and 500 and again 500 and a 1000 isn't that great in tne scheme of things. Not sure what effect the extra press has on the licence cost?  But I would have thought it was in the interest of the artist or rights holder to sell as many as possible.

The difference in cost is quite steep, from around 8 quid to £20, you can often buy an Lp cheaper. 

The blatant exploitation of the market with test pressings  with a run of 50+...  they are in effect just an issue.  Test pressing aren't sold or shouldn't be sold, neither should demos which are often twice the cost of an issue. 

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

It seems that many releases are aimed at Djs rather than putting cillectors and music first with many being limited releases.  If they are good and go down well at venues it isn't long before a new release is commanding three figures.  

The difference in cost between 300 and 500 and again 500 and a 1000 isn't that great in tne scheme of things. Not sure what effect the extra press has on the licence cost?  But I would have thought it was in the interest of the artist or rights holder to sell as many as possible.

The difference in cost is quite steep, from around 8 quid to £20, you can often buy an Lp cheaper. 

The blatant exploitation of the market with test pressings  with a run of 50+...  they are in effect just an issue.  Test pressing aren't sold or shouldn't be sold, neither should demos which are often twice the cost of an issue. 

Ha! The good old white label "test pressing". Load of bollox in lots of cases.

:wicked:

Social source share

I like to get the new releases straight away, or on per-order as it adds to the general mystique of it all, but if you miss something then have to pay 70-100 pounds for it some months later,  that is crap, but then the better ones have gone that way market forces as one dealer like to say. 

The white label at twice the price of the issue is a right load of crap though,  that said given the choice I go for the demo every time,  cant moan about it then can I...

mal

Social source share

Hasn't this gone on since the absolute dawn of Northern Soul with Clifford Curry be flogged for serious cash covered up coz you could it was still available on general release on Pama?

Certainly in years gone by I've bought things like Larry Wedgeworth for what at the time was pretty serious money with the details scratched off because it was still available on general release in the States.

At the end of the day as has often been said - a record is only worth its original sales value - all the extra is paying someone else to have the nowse to track it down (or indeed buy it when it was still easy to get) so you don't have to.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

1 hour ago, DaveNPete said:

At the end of the day as has often been said - a record is only worth its original sales value - all the extra is paying someone else to have the nowse to track it down (or indeed buy it when it was still easy to get) so you don't have to.

Dx

Agreed, but we are talking 21st century here...........the here and now.  With the internet the new releases take no finding (relatively speaking), it's just that some of us buy one copy at the sensible price and leave the rest for others to have a chance.......we don't all buy 10 copies to make a quick buck!

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!