Sandra W. LeCounte version of Gloria Jay

Sandra W. LeCounte - "Know what you want" - STAGE RECORDS version of Gloria Jay on Stage Production

I've had this deep in the boxes for about 20 years and have never seen or heard of another copy. Stage Records is obviously affiliated with Stage Productions as their motif is on the label but again the label is new to me as well.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

IMG_3426.thumb.JPG.4f11b6b9b2ecf68d08e66a8353874b36.JPGIMG_3429.thumb.JPG.6fe659b865dcae5b0aa0bea458f45edd.JPG

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Edited by Paul Capon
Typo
Social source share

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 7
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

• 2 years later...

Mr Manship is selling this for me. 
Auction ends 3rd March. Here is his write up:-

A beyond Rarest-Of-The-Rare Soulful Stepper! 

No recorded sales ANYWHERE. Discogs listing states ONE person owns it, and this is THAT copy in front of you now!

Collecting Soulful 70's does not get rarer than this, 1984 Chicago revamp of the highly coveted Gloria Jay 45 on Stage Productions by an unknown artist "Sandra W. LeCounte" but again from the desk of Willie Nance

Willie Nance revisits his highly sought after 1977 Gloria Jay release on Stage Productions, giving this young unknown local lady her chance to make her mark, with this beseeching rendition that has yet to grace any A-list DJ set, as far as we know. Yet to appear on any lockdown internet DJ offerings, yet to appear in Soul guides, forums, met with total silence when presented to Soul Source for debate some years ago, presumably nobody could add to the question "Does anybody know this 45" again this listing is that lone copy...

Now click the sound file to the delicious Sandra W. measuring right up to size, along side Gloria's highly sought after first version... perch and ready to star in some dedicated DJ as an exclusive... Top drawer 80's Chicago stepper - a trophypiece no mater who claims ownership of this "ghost" of a record. 

Edited by Paul Capon
Social source share

I found this on the re-issue stuff

Chicago soul originally performed by Gloria J. Jennings in 1977. 

Gloria was signed to Stage Productions as a gospel singer with pure and raw talent she had developed in the choir of her father's Southern Baptist Church. She was 16 years old at the time. To tutor her for R&B vocals, Willie C. Nance of Stage Productions spent 3 months taking the artist back and forth for vocal training 25 miles each way, 3 days per week. 

At the time, Mr. Nance had made plans to work with singer and songwriter Theresa Eagins to record “Know What You Want”. However, two days before the recording was set to begin, Ms. Eagins refused to move forward with the recording as she chose to take her religious faith more seriously and forgo the singing of secular music. Hence, Stage Productions turned to Gloria Jay to perform a song that would go on to move people thousands of miles away, many years later.

https://www.melodiesinternational.com/releases/gloria-jay-know-what-you-want-i-m-gonna-make-it-7-inch

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!