Lillian Hale - Boot or Not?

Re. Lillian Hale 'Don't Boom Boom' (Fretone), fantastic 70's track Martyn posted recently on the record club link

Just bought one on Discogs but it looks like a boot to me - anyone any info?

Martyn did say he thought it had been booted and the white ones were boots as opposed to the blue original. Mine is a pale green colour and just looks like a reissue to me, vinyl & label wise. 

Discogs doesn't show any reissues at all, and the photo on the advert for the one I bought showed the blue label

Any info much appreciated as wouldn't have bought it as a reissue

Cheers, Chris.

Edited by Chris Turnbull
Amendment
Social source share

I've just had a quick look on eBay and there are a couple of White Demo's, a slightly tatty Blue-ish issue and is a seller with Mint very light/pale issue's. These are described as " New and unplayed, old store stock". from a USA seller who look reputable. 

I can see what you mean about it looking like a boot but I've no reason to think it is. :thumbsup: I'd feel more settled with a Blue 'Un as well !!

Social source share

2 hours ago, bo diddley said:

I've just had a quick look on eBay and there are a couple of White Demo's, a slightly tatty Blue-ish issue and is a seller with Mint very light/pale issue's. These are described as " New and unplayed, old store stock". from a USA seller who look reputable. 

I can see what you mean about it looking like a boot but I've no reason to think it is. :thumbsup: I'd feel more settled with a Blue 'Un as well !!

1 hour ago, soul shrews said:

Chris I have seen pale green ones in the States and here in europe for years sold by reputable dealers. I think they are real not boots.

Cheers Paul

Thanks for the input - as I said earlier the vinyl etc just looks more recent to me than 1974 e.g. cueing / deadwax at the start quite deep compared with most older 45's, more like something from the late 80's or early 90's - just a gut feel. I'm with Bo Diddley and would feel more settled with a Blue 'Un' 

Social source share

19 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

:hatsoff2:A record I know so well, the flip being 'The Signs Were Wrong' but Fretone records spelt Signes wrong! 'The Signs Were Wrong' was a popular tune played back in the early 80s 1983-186 in the UK Morecambe Central Pier. I was lucky to purchase a copy for £7 back in the day though no idea what the value is today. I don't think you'll be disappointed Chris because The pale green and blue issues are both authentic originals as far as I know. Change of colour would have been preference to the record company. A record I think has been overlooked and escaped the boot-leggers for sure! Interesting you are playing the flip side 'Don't 'Boom Boom'. 'The Signs Were Wrong' is a magical record and beautifully sung by Lillian Hale!!! Picked up again by the right DJ or enterprising DJ this would go massive like it did back in the day and the price would rocket through the roof for sure! Hope that is some help to you Chris. Yours Soulfully Paul 'Soul' Johnson

Social source share

12 hours ago, chalky said:

Common records and hits of the day were counterfeited and booted, it is well documented in books concerning Motown and other labels.  If something is a good seller someone will try and make cash on the back of it.

So are you saying this is common as they are boots?

Social source share

7 minutes ago, SOULSATISFACTION said:

666353d455f5266A record I know so well, the flip being 'The Signs Were Wrong' but Fretone records spelt Signes wrong! 'The Signs Were Wrong' was a popular tune played back in the early 80s 1983-186 in the UK Morecambe Central Pier. I was lucky to purchase a copy for £7 back in the day though no idea what the value is today. I don't think you'll be disappointed Chris because The pale green and blue issues are both authentic originals as far as I know. Change of colour would have been preference to the record company. A record I think has been overlooked and escaped the boot-leggers for sure! Interesting you are playing the flip side 'Don't 'Boom Boom'. 'The Signs Were Wrong' is a magical record and beautifully sung by Lillian Hale!!! Picked up again by the right DJ or enterprising DJ this would go massive like it did back in the day and the price would rocket through the roof for sure! Hope that is some help to you Chris. Yours Soulfully Paul 'Soul' Johnson

Hi Paul, thanks for the info - Martyn who put me onto this was also raving about 'Signs' but I hadn't really appreciated it - top tune though, you are right. What a double sider :thumbup:

'Boom Boom' for me though just sounds totally on the money for now

Social source share

I've sold loads and loads of this great 45 over the years

The Blue or pale Green issues are pukka - never been booted as far as I know?

Used to sell 'Boom' to the Funk scene and 'Signs' to the 70's/Crossover scene back in the day. Now both sides are bought and played by peeps on the Northern scene. I remember 'signs' as a Derek Smith spin from Morecambe in the 80's and I also remember Ian Clarke playing it too amongst others. Sure it has always been one of those sleepers that 'one day will be massive'

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!