Old Black Echoes " Northern Noise " Article From 1978

I recently opened a box in the attic , which contained old copies of Black Echoes .

One of them , dated May 13th 1978 , contained in the " Northern Noise " column ( written by Russ W ) , an article , for which I submit word for word :

' Just had information that Grapevine's John Anderson and Richard Searling have been supervising the recording of a punk group in Manchester . Sounds Like anarchy in king's Lynn '

Despite remembering my thoughts of " what the ..... " when reading the article back then , I cannot recall if this was a wind up or not - was it an attempt at humour by RW taking into consideration his feelings at the time for JA and RS ? .

Anyone out there shed anylight on this ?

Malc Burton

THE CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Every Third Saturday Of The Month

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 18TH : Guest DJ - DAVE EVISON

Info / Directions : Malc Burton 07748 378275 / e-mail burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I recently opened a box in the attic , which contained old copies of Black Echoes .

One of them , dated May 13th 1978 , contained in the " Northern Noise " column ( written by Russ W ) , an article , for which I submit word for word :

' Just had information that Grapevine's John Anderson and Richard Searling have been supervising the recording of a punk group in Manchester . Sounds Like anarchy in king's Lynn '

Despite remembering my thoughts of " what the ..... " when reading the article back then , I cannot recall if this was a wind up or not - was it an attempt at humour by RW taking into consideration his feelings at the time for JA and RS ? .

Anyone out there shed anylight on this ?

Malc Burton

THE CORNER POCKET , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Every Third Saturday Of The Month

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 18TH : Guest DJ - DAVE EVISON

Info / Directions : Malc Burton 07748 378275 / e-mail burtonmalc@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Malc

I do remember seeing a couple of Red Label Grapevine 12" Singles in Fox's Record Shop, Doncaster. I can't remember what music genre they were though.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi Malc

I do remember seeing a couple of Red Label Grapevine 12" Singles in Fox's Record Shop, Doncaster. I can't remember what music genre they were though.

Eee , when I were a lad ........ Fox's Records in Donny .

Unsure as to what were released on red label Grapevine 12s ( there were also 7s released ) , as I believe it to be used for the more ' modern ' tracks - i.e. Leo's Sunshipp - that were around at the time .

The girls in Fox's were very clued up regarding soul music , helped in their knowledge thanks to the many of us from Donny who went in there requesting / searching for tunes .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Eee , when I were a lad ........ Fox's Records in Donny .

The girls in there were very clued up regarding soul music , helped in their knowledge thanks to the many of us from Donny who went in there requesting / searching for tunes .

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

You're right about them being clued up. When Cool Jerk was re-issued on the Atlantic-Action Replay, I went to buy a copy, they said to me, Hang on we still have a couple of copies left on Red Atlantic, which I Instantly purchaced.

You don't tend to find knowledge like that anymore.

Social source share

Hi Malc

You're right about them being clued up. When Cool Jerk was re-issued on the Atlantic-Action Replay, I went to buy a copy, they said to me, Hang on we still have a couple of copies left on Red Atlantic, which I Instantly purchaced.

You don't tend to find knowledge like that anymore.

Agreed .

As with you and the above record , this was not uncommon at Fox's . We would give them lists of old and new UK released 45s , to see if they could get / order . Usually , except in extreme cases , they did . It was not unusual to get a record on the original label from stock in there .

At the time of The Javells beginning to break big , we had found out it was by Nosmo King and started looking for it ..... but there was a problem : Pye had ben alerted to the sales potential of the disc , and nationally recalled the disc , in order to release it as

" The Javells "

Buttocks , we thought . Who would have a copy ...... or copies .

Fox's - as usual - came up trumps .

Dawn - bless her - who worked in there ( possibly the most knowledgable of all the girls ), following a directive from Pye stating why they wanted the recall , decided to hold on to a couple ( Steady .... it is Sunday ) , as she knew one of us would want them .

Now that is what I call Customer service .

PS : What is next ? Peter Hall's on the corner of Donny Market ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Agreed .

As with you and the above record , this was not uncommon at Fox's . We would give them lists of old and new UK released 45s , to see if they could get / order . Usually , except in extreme cases , they did . It was not unusual to get a record on the original label from stock in there .

At the time of The Javells beginning to break big , we had found out it was by Nosmo King and started looking for it ..... but there was a problem : Pye had ben alerted to the sales potential of the disc , and nationally recalled the disc , in order to release it as

" The Javells "

Buttocks , we thought . Who would have a copy ...... or copies .

Fox's - as usual - came up trumps .

Dawn - bless her - who worked in there ( possibly the most knowledgable of all the girls ), following a directive from Pye stating why they wanted the recall , decided to hold on to a couple ( Steady .... it is Sunday ) , as she knew one of us would want them .

Now that is what I call Customer service .

PS : What is next ? Peter Hall's on the corner of Donny Market ?

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

Yes, I remember Peter Halls, still got a couple of lists somewhere.

They used to have records in a Box with wire running through the center to stop any going missing.

I well remember finding a couple of cracked Mirwoods in their covers, that someone had deliberately snapped.

What about Fields, Bradleys.

Remember all of the Import L.P.s upstairs in Bradleys?

I found "Symphony For Soul" The Total Eclipse - "Fused" - The Mike Post Coalition.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert