Soul Weekenders??? Don't you mean Northern Soul Weekenders!

If these events catered for Soul in general I might be interested in attending them.

When I visit the many free fringe events in local pubs in my hometown Whitby, I am met with wall to wall NS.

Can some of the fringe events maybe concentrate on Modern, Jazz-Funk, Rare Groove...or even Lovers Rock?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...but definitly no Soulful House, programmed beats are what destroyed the groove...hopefully soulhawk won't let me down in The Buck Inn (Even though they have comandeered my weekly residency...it's all for a good cause though, and I could do with a weekend off).

Edited by Steve Ward
To elaborate on the thread.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

If these events catered for Soul in general I might be interested in attending them.

When I visit the many free fringe events in local pubs in my hometown Whitby, I am met with wall to wall NS.

Can some of the fringe events maybe concentrate on Modern, Jazz-Funk, Rare Groove...or even Lovers Rock?

Crown jewel rare soul and pure soul weekenders april and june are bang on steve :thumbup:

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Steve, can't disagree about the multitude of Whitby 'town' pub events for the 'Northern' traditionalists.  Having seen the year on year success/adv sellout of the official weekender they are certainly using the 'opportunity' to boost the local economy and cater for the overspill and those unable to get tickets for Pavillion .   Might i therefore suggest the Rifle Club and the freestyle 'Market Place ' sessions at the Pavilion. Plenty of variety across the other 'soul' genres. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Dave Thorley said:

Sorry you've sort of lost me, but I'm sure someone will be able to help. If there not part of the Weekender, then they have nothing to do with it. If generally there aren't any/many clubs playing what you would like to hear through out the year, just travel to find them

Are fringe events not part of the Weekender? 

People come for the fringe venues only!

...the main point I'm making is why Soul Weekender and not Northern Soul (predominantly) Weekender?

Social source share

3 minutes ago, andybellwood said:

Steve, can't disagree about the multitude of Whitby 'town' pub events for the 'Northern' traditionalists.  Having seen the year on year success/adv sellout of the official weekender they are certainly using the 'opportunity' to boost the local economy and cater for the overspill and those unable to get tickets for Pavillion .   Might i therefore suggest the Rifle Club and the freestyle 'Market Place ' sessions at the Pavilion. Plenty of variety across the other 'soul' genres. 

I like the style of music in the market place...we were in for a treat a few months later too when Don Letts did a set in the market place.

What's the music policy in The Rifle Club?

Social source share

18 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

I like the style of music in the market place...we were in for a treat a few months later too when Don Letts did a set in the market place.

What's the music policy in The Rifle Club?

Not northern, gary smith runs it and he loves crossover and sweet stuff me thinks :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Come to the actual weekender Steve!

Us in the 'Modern Room' are unlikely to be playing any Northern Soul.... :-)

But we definitely will be spinning what you want in "Modern, Jazz-funk, rare groove".......

(There'll be some soulful house too no doubt, but you can nip to the bar when that's on....)

My own soul train will be going from Mario Biondi to Motherfox..... from Ronnie Dyson to Dyson's Faces..... and stopping at most stations in between (and around).... Or summat like that anyway......

Social source share

3 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

whats lovers rock?..or you takin the p**s?

i ask,cos there is that much different stuff around,i cant make head nor tail of half of it! haha

• Helpful 2
Social source share

10 minutes ago, dobber said:

i ask,cos there is that much different stuff around,i cant make head nor tail of half of it! haha

Reggae with blues n soul mixed in :yes:

Social source share

12 minutes ago, baz1 said:

Reggae with blues n soul mixed in :yes:

I've never heard of it...thank you for that.....another room at soul do,s....I do wonder where it will all end....folk, soul, funk, blues, reggae, ska, mod room..(sorry if I've missed a genre)...oh well, I roll with anything...probably progression within the scene and just me.....kind regards....Rob.

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve Ward said:

A great example of Lovers Rock:

Never heard the term Lovers Rock, i would probably call this crossover/2 step, but i do like this.

Social source share

On 27 June 2017 at 16:54, baz1 said:

Not northern, gary smith runs it and he loves crossover and sweet stuff me thinks :yes:

That's about it  from the likes of Pat & Peter Bleasdale , Steve Mannion , Geordie Johnson , Little Av, Russ Steele, Sean Tasker , Chris Dalton etc . For this weekend , many  go no where else than the Rifle Club and with good reason . 

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 16:04, Steve Ward said:

...but definitly no Soulful House, programmed beats are what destroyed the groove...hopefully soulhawk won't let me down in The Buck Inn (Even though they have comandeered my weekly residency...it's all for a good cause though, and I could do with a weekend off).

Steve.

Some lads with excellent Modern Collections will be playing in The Buck over the weekend.

Call in & give them a try bud.

Social source share

5 hours ago, andybellwood said:

That's about it  from the likes of Pat & Peter Bleasdale , Steve Mannion , Geordie Johnson , Little Av, Russ Steele, Sean Tasker , Chris Dalton etc . For this weekend , many  go no where else than the Rifle Club and with good reason . 

Eup andy !!!do ya need tickets to get in the rifle club and is there any left ? Was with gaz and john speizer at skegg but wernt sure if we could make it then so dint ask em .atb baz

• Helpful 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, baz1 said:

Eup andy !!!do ya need tickets to get in the rifle club and is there any left ? Was with gaz and john speizer at skegg but wernt sure if we could make it then so dint ask em .atb baz

Hi ya Baz . Gary Smiths your man - give him a ring/text 07952 293657

and/or buy one of the official Alt Whitby Weekender tickets (only £15) which gives you admission to the Met Ballroom & Lounge and Rifle Club . There's just a few left . 
Details here https://www.soul-source.co.uk/calendar/event/51135-whitby-met-ballroom/
Social source share

On 6/27/2017 at 19:13, dobber said:

Not to be confused with Rockers, not to mention Dub, Dancehall and Raggamuffin.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!