Mike

• Replies 4
  • Views 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

dropped the clip

anyone info - background etc to this clip ?

posted by mickeynold Basement Soul Show

A bit of history first. PCRL was Birmingham's longest running Black pirate radio show. Mickey Nold worked for them as a DJ and presenter for over ten years.

The Basement Soul show was the Northern Soul show that Mick did, and to add interest to the show 'The Consortium' were regular guests. Membership changed over the years, but from memory those involved were John Weston, Ted Massey, Dave Allen, Bill Randle, John Pugh, Chris Anderton, Brian Goucher, and possibly a couple of others (This was nearly fifteen years ago, so apologies if I've missed anyone !). Mick also did all sorts of other things connected with the scene for his show. I remember doing interviews with people at allnighters, Blackburn, Keele, and Bretby spring to mind. He also took over the whole station and ran allnighters on Saturday nights where we would all do an hour's spot and broadcast all eight hours through the night. I used to do a weekly what's on spot every week as well which believe it or not was recorded at home by me on a reel to reel tape recorder and then posted to Mick. He'd dub it onto minidisk and then post the tape back to me for the next week.

I remember the clip on Youtube like it was yesterday, and I've still got the whole thing on cassette somewhere in the loft. Usually Mick would get us round in two's and we'd all record our bit for that month onto minidisc, he would then edit it all together so that it sounded like we were all in the studio together when the show was broadcast. Mick was really skilled at doing this, and it really did sound as though we were all there.

For the 1992 Christmas show, which was actually broadcast Christmas morning, Mick decided to get as many of us together as he could and record the whole thing with us all there. So we turned up one evening earlier in December and started recording. As it was an evening, a few cans were consumed, and it just got rowdier and rowdier (I remember Brian Goucher and John Weston being the main culprits). God knows what people thought when they were listening, all you could hear was beer cans being opened and people burping and laughing. Remember this went out between 9am and midday Christmas day.

I know after the recording was finished Mick swore he would never try and get us all together and record a show with live mics on us all ever again.

Happy days.

Social source share

thought it looked like Dave Rimmer and John Weston on the right of the picture and when I heard the voice talking about the Miracles it confirmed it was JW. Bloody hell Brian Goucher with a moustache talking about Betty Everett. Top clip will watch it fully through later - well done to the man that posted it up!

onwards, derek

a mad guess - but was it filmed at the Pirate Radio station in the Birmingham area that those lads guested on? The year 1992 would fit in with that nicely.

Revised edit - looks like Dave Rimmer and I were replying at the same time hehe

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

A bit of history first. PCRL was Birmingham's longest running Black pirate radio show. Mickey Nold worked for them as a DJ and presenter for over ten years.

The Basement Soul show was the Northern Soul show that Mick did, and to add interest to the show 'The Consortium' were regular guests. Membership changed over the years, but from memory those involved were John Weston, Ted Massey, Dave Allen, Bill Randle, John Pugh, Chris Anderton, Brian Goucher, and possibly a couple of others (This was nearly fifteen years ago, so apologies if I've missed anyone !). Mick also did all sorts of other things connected with the scene for his show. I remember doing interviews with people at allnighters, Blackburn, Keele, and Bretby spring to mind. He also took over the whole station and ran allnighters on Saturday nights where we would all do an hour's spot and broadcast all eight hours through the night. I used to do a weekly what's on spot every week as well which believe it or not was recorded at home by me on a reel to reel tape recorder and then posted to Mick. He'd dub it onto minidisk and then post the tape back to me for the next week.

I remember the clip on Youtube like it was yesterday, and I've still got the whole thing on cassette somewhere in the loft. Usually Mick would get us round in two's and we'd all record our bit for that month onto minidisc, he would then edit it all together so that it sounded like we were all in the studio together when the show was broadcast. Mick was really skilled at doing this, and it really did sound as though we were all there.

For the 1992 Christmas show, which was actually broadcast Christmas morning, Mick decided to get as many of us together as he could and record the whole thing with us all there. So we turned up one evening earlier in December and started recording. As it was an evening, a few cans were consumed, and it just got rowdier and rowdier (I remember Brian Goucher and John Weston being the main culprits). God knows what people thought when they were listening, all you could hear was beer cans being opened and people burping and laughing. Remember this went out between 9am and midday Christmas day.

I know after the recording was finished Mick swore he would never try and get us all together and record a show with live mics on us all ever again.

Happy days.

great background Dave

ta

mike

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert